awktrc

Need Help - Re-Flash BIOS for Toshiba Satellite Laptop - Model: L355D-S7815

Last week I was upgrading the BIOS on my recently purchased (from eBay) Toshiba Satellite (Model L355D-S7815).  I only had the laptop for about two-weeks when I tried to upgrade the BIOS.  The upgrade was from BIOS 1.40 to 1.50 and I did it in Windows XP Professional (I [now] know that it was a BIG MISTAKE to do this in Windows.)  Anyway, the Toshiba (provided) BIOS Upgrade Software erased the 1.40 BIOS version and then "hung" my laptop before it could flash the 1.50 BIOS.  Needles to say, I believe that my laptop is now "bricked", a term I picked-up after much internet research to see if I could correct this problem myself.

The laptop is out-of warranty.  I called Toshiba and they were very good about helping me out.  I was told that they will warranty the repair of this laptop (for this instance only) once I change the registration from the prior owner to me.  That is now in the works, since I sent all the appropriate information to Support@eclaim.com about five-days-ago.  I will have to bring it about 50-miles (or 100 miles round-trip) to have it serviced.  I will then have to travel the same distance to pick it up once it is repaired.  To avoid all the time and expense of this repair I have been researching the internet to see if there is a way to re-flash the BIOS using SOFTWARE ONLY and some of the equipment I already have at home.

Right now, when I power-on the laptop, I get a blank screen and the DVD drive spins and acts as if it wants to boot or load.  I have a USB floppy drive that I can attach to the laptop and a CD-burner on my desktop computer.  I have the 1.40 BIOS downloaded from Toshiba's website (file SLC8V140.EXE) on my desktop.  I have burned the SLC8V140.ISO to a rewriteable CD and I have also made the floppy drive boot diskette from this software.  I am looking for some keyboard combination (like FN + "B" keys) that will begin the re-flash process.  Plus, I need the orderly steps necessary to try and fix this problem myself.  I will only attempt a software related fix as I have no intention of taking this laptop apart and voiding the warranty that Toshiba is now graciously offering.  FYI, I believe that Insyde Software is the BIOS manufacturer.

Please let me know if I need to provide more information.  Thank you in advance for any help that you may offer.

Occasional Contributor
Marco

Re: Need Help - Re-Flash BIOS for Toshiba Satellite Laptop - Model: L355D-S7815

I also had a problem with flashing the latest BIOS. Just hung with an Hour Glass. Had to remove the battery and replace it to reboot. Closed all programmes and reinstalled the BIOS and all good.

awktrc

Marco - Thanks for responding.  I have a cousin who owns a computer software company and he told me that removing the BIOS battery, waiting twenty-four hours and then replacing the battery would re-flash the BIOS.  However, this means taking the laptop apart.  He has several experienced workers and he said that he would have one of them do it for me.  I am waiting for Toshiba to get back to me about the warranty.  If they change their mind, then I have nothing to lose by taking my cousin up on his offer.

However, I am assuming that we have either the same or similar Toshiba Satellite laptops.  Could you please provide me with your laptop's model number.  And, how difficult was it to remove the (BIOS?) battery?  I am hoping that we have either the same or similar laptops and that the battery is not soldered onto the motherboard.  Your answer will be greatly appreciated.

Occasional Advisor
Techman

In the BIOS are instructions to create a bootable CD and a bootable floppy if supported.  Aslo it tells you to use the C key or F12 key to boot the CD, or U key or F12 key to boot the floppy.

This signature left intentionally blank.