gary-s

NB200 Keyboard and mouse driver repair

The keyboard and on-board mouse on my NB200 netbook (Win7 starter OS) suddenly stopped working, I was just typing at the time, doing nothing unusual.  The drivers show as non-functional in the Control Panel.  I've tried all sorts of ways through the Control Panel and by rebooting to try to reinstall the drivers but keep getting failures.  A typical message is "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error when attempting to install it.  Standard PS/2 keyboard.  The system cannot find the file specified."  Other times I get "Windows cannot load load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing.  (Code 39)."  I checked, the internet connection is working, the keyboard and mouse are functional (they work if I go to startup mode using F8 on bootup).  Also, external USB mouse and keyboard will pull in appropriate drivers and work properly. I also ran scans with three virus checkers to check for an external cause, but they found nothing significant. 

I wonder whether something has got damaged in the OS so as to prevent the drivers from loading properly.  Is there a way to repair the OS?  The netbook does not have a disk drive and I do not have an external device. Can this repair be done without wiping the disk, my programs and data ?

Advice and suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: NB200 Keyboard and mouse driver repair

Which NB200? There is a label on the bottom.

You can eliminate software reasons for the problem by restoring the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

-Jerry
gary-s

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I had thought of restoring the hard disk to its out-of-the-box condition in the way you suggest but am afraid that it would wipe all my installed programs and data.  It's a terribly time-consuming business reassembling all that stuff so I would much prefer to leave it intact.  Is there some way to restore the system on the hard disk while preserving the installed programs and data ?  Thanks, your help is much appreciated.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Which NB200? There is a label on the bottom.

-Jerry
gary-s

[ Edited ]

Wow, Jerry, that was fast !  Thanks for your very prompt reply.  The label on the netbook indicates

Toshiba NB200 -00C  Supplier part # PLL23C-00C01F  Serial # XXXXXXXXX

The operating system is Windows 7 starter edition.  Thanks for your kind help. 

[Mod edit to remove serial number.]

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite NB200-00C (PLL23C-00C01F)

Restoring the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents from Toshiba recovery media replaces every byte on the drive.

You should be making image backups so that you can restore the entire drive to its current state. We do this for every computer every day (at 3am).

Back up and restore: frequently asked questions

Back up your programs, system settings, and files

Restore files from a backup

Restore your computer from a system image backup

I've tried all sorts of ways through the Control Panel and by rebooting to try to reinstall the drivers but keep getting failures. 

Did you open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), expand Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device, and click Uninstall?

-Jerry
gary-s

Yes, I tried uninstall followed by search for new hardware (installed a non functioning driver as "unknown device") and uninstall followed by reboot (installed a non-functioning driver as a keyboard device).  This is a perplexing problem. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sounds like a hardware malfunction. The best way to establish that is to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

But you might learn something by making experiments like these.

Start your computer in safe mode

Also, what happens when you boot normally into another account? If necessary, create one.

Create a user account

-Jerry
gary-s

Thanks Jerry for the further suggestions.  I started the netbook in safe mode and tried installing the drivers, but with similar lack of success.  The system still tells me it can't find the driver file, the name it quotes is windows\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys but that file is present.  When I try to specify it manually the system defaults to extension .inf and I don't know which file of this type it is seeking. 

I also tried creating and logging on as a different user but still the same issues occur. 

Any further thoughts would be much appreciated.  Thanks !

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't have anything more than what I said before. Sounds like a hardware malfunction. The best way to establish that is to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

Locate a Toshiba Service Center

-Jerry