Occasional Contributor
Marinela
Accepted Solution

Multimedia Controller, code 28

Hi,

I use a Qosmio F45-AV412, running on Win 7 (recently re-installed).

The system notifies me that there's no driver, on my computer, for the Multimedia Controller (code 28). I have tried to run the automatic update but Windows was "unable to find software" for my device. I have tried to uninstall the multimedia controller, then reboot, but nothing happened.

I have read the discussions on the forum but, as far as I can tell, there is no solution that might respond specifically to my problem. I have also noticed that the media buttons on my front panel are unresponsive. I'm not sure whether the missing driver and media buttons situation are interrelated or there's just a coincidence.

Can anyone help, please?

There seems to be no explicit information on Toshiba's or Windows's sites relative to this particular issue which appears to be quite frequent among uses who shift from one OS to another.

Marinela

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Multimedia Controller, code 28

Qosmio F45-AV412

Some get lucky with this Fix it button.

Tips for fixing common driver problems

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Marinela

Thanks, Jerry.

I tried Fixit several times, but it didn't work. The troubleshooting report says that "windows update configured to never install drivers", which is not true, I checked - everything is set to update automatically.

I also referred to threads on the Microsoft forums, tried some of the fixes suggested there, but nothing seems to solve my case. The Multimedia Controller driver is just not there, so it is probably for this reason that it cannot be updated. I wish I knew what kind of driver this is and what it does, so I can go look for it with Intel or Realtek, although  most of the replies to such distress calls advise going back to the manufacturer (Toshiba, in this case) for the missing driver.

Thanks again for your time.

Marinela

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The system notifies me..

Let's get serious, Marinela. I can't see your computer screen.

Quote the precise message you see on a line by itself here. No paraphrasing. Spelling counts.

What are you doing when it occurs?

Did you notice this?

Toshiba HD DVD Player will not play HD DVD media after updating to Windows 7

What's the bitness of your Windows 7?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Marinela

It's the Win 7 32-bit OS.

The exact words were

' The driver for Multimedia Controller is not installed. Install the latest driver for this device.'

Then

'Windows was unable to install your Multimedia Controller. If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.'

I downloaded and tried to install the Toshiba HD DVD Player application but what I got was

'This application cannot be installed on this computer. Setup will be aborted.'

I looked for the Toshiba playback/recording applications in the system, they aren't there. They must have vanished after I  had the Win 7 re-installed  as a result of  a HD replacement.

Marinela

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I  had the Win 7 re-installed  as a result of  a HD replacement.

A little detour, Marinela..

Do you really mean installed?

If so, you're best bet is to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. You can do that with the discs from Toshiba.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Marinela

Jerry,

Sequence of events:

Originally, my laptop was running on Vista. I have then upgraded from Vista to Win 7 Ultimate (32 bit). Then, my HD broke and I had to replace it and they  re-installed Win 7 directly.

The recovery disks are for Vista. Come to think of it, the second installation of Win 7 was a clean install, while the first was an upgrade from Vista.

Marinela

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Originally, my laptop was running on Vista.

Oops. I forgot about that. You may just need to go back to Windows Vista.

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and look for that device or for an unknown device. Right-click it and click Properties. On the Details tab copy the Hardware Ids. They look something like this.

PCI\VEN_1131&DEV_7133&SUBSYS_90041458&REV_D1
   PCI\VEN_1131&DEV_7133&SUBSYS_90041458
   PCI\VEN_1131&DEV_7133&CC_048000
   PCI\VEN_1131&DEV_7133&CC_0480

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Marinela

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1610&SUBSYS_261014E4&REV_00
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1610&SUBSYS_261014E4
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1610&CC_048000
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1610&CC_0480

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

What does Device Manager call that device?

In the meantime..

There are lots of upgrades to make that model function properly with Windows 7! Run this to try updating them all.

Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Marinela

Thanks, I'll download the software installer, as advised.

Here is what I found:

Dispaly name: Multimedia Controller

Class long name: other devices

Class short name: unknown

Physical device object name: \Device\NTPNP_PCI0029

Parent: PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_8111&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_22\4&3249b71e&0&00E3

Marinela

Occasional Contributor
Marinela

Jerry,

I ran the Toshiba Software Installer. Problem solved!

TSI has downloaded and installed a few driver packages and I suspect one of them must have been it. I'm so relieved, thank you so much for your help.

Marinela

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You're welcome, Marinela. Happy we got that fixed.    

-Jerry
Georgeyahoo

How do I install Multimedia Controller in my A205-S6808.It doesn't have any at the moment.

Marinela wrote:

It's the Win 7 32-bit OS.

The exact words were

' The driver for Multimedia Controller is not installed. Install the latest driver for this device.'

Then

'Windows was unable to install your Multimedia Controller. If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.'

I downloaded and tried to install the Toshiba HD DVD Player application but what I got was

'This application cannot be installed on this computer. Setup will be aborted.'

I looked for the Toshiba playback/recording applications in the system, they aren't there. They must have vanished after I  had the Win 7 re-installed  as a result of  a HD replacement.

Marinela