enginman

Mouse and Touchpad Problem

Satellite M65-S9092 XP Pro SP2. Had this problem for at least 2 years, but now it's become a pain since I need to change my mouse setting more often. Whenever I click on the mouse icon, either in control panel or Toshiba Assist, I get a "Windows Installer" message; "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." And then, "Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "TouchPad OnOff Utility.MSI" in the box below."  The box "Use source:" below  wants to access "\temp\_is2\".

I use a Microsoft wireless mouse 3500; works great and very seldom use the touchpad.

If I hit cancel, it pops up again, and after 2 more repeats of this, presto, up pops the mouse properties page.

I downloaded the Toshiba touchpad on/off utility and during installation got another error message; "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid. C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{long number}\1033.MST"  I checked the registry and the {long number} is there and is identifying Toshiba Touchpad on/off Utility.

My guess is I've got some corrupted XP installer files, but I really don't know.  Any help would be appreciated.

Neal

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Mouse and Touchpad Problem

Satellite M65-S9092 

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

My guess is I've got some corrupted XP installer files, but I really don't know. 

My guess is you have some bad registry entries, Neal.

But lets try reinstalling the latest Windows Installer.

Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable

-Jerry
enginman

Jerry, thanks for looking at this.  I downloaded the MS Installer for XP and installed it, and after reboot, tried the same steps again; no change.  Still the same "network" message, and still the same behavior if I click cancel.  I re-installed the Toshiba touchpad on/off utility, and the same "transform" error there.

I am in no hurry, it's not something that compromises my work, just a little annoyance.  I'm a recovering perfectionist; it's a curse.

Not sure if this is related but I have used MS Intellipoint for years.  One version, maybe 3 or 4, had some unexpected behavior that caused some severe problems with my CAD software; AutoCAD and Solidworks.  I was on the phone for days with Solidworks people, rifeling around in the registry, etc.  As I recall, we never did solve anything, and the problem went away when I installed Intellipoint 5 or 5.5.  But those events, and the timing, are suspect causes of the problem here.  I have uninstalled all Intellipoint software until I get this resolved.

Neal

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Neal, are you able to uninstall the Toshiba touchpad on/off utility successfully?

What about the Alps touchpad driver? Did you try reinstalling that?

Alps Touchpad Driver for Windows XP 

That model was susceptible to this problem. Won't hurt to apply the prescribed treatment.

Mouse Properties (Touchpad): Advanced tab is missing

-Jerry