bchinson
Accepted Solution

Missing HD DVD-ROM

My HD DVD-ROM drive is missing. It does not show up in the Computer folder or the Devices Manager. I have searched these forums and others, and have done a system reset (power off, remove battery, etc.); 2 or 3 Microsoft FixIts; and deleted lower filter.bak from registry (no upper filter or lower filter without .bak existed); updated the BIOS to V2.50. All to no avail. It is possible that I updated or deleted a driver that I should not have when I was trying to fix problems with my touch pad (which works intermittently). Unfortunately I did not keep a record of everything that I updated or deleted. I did update drivers for the Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad; Realtek PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC. I also updated or added Toshiba TVAP, Utilities, FlashCards, SmoothView, TBS, PCDiag, Power Saver, and Value Added Package. Any suggestions? Thanks - Brian

Satellite P205 S6307 using Window Vista Home Premium Ver 6.0 (Build 6.2 - Service Pack 2) 32 bit

Peter

Re: Missing HD DVD-ROM

Try using System Restore to restore a previous restore point from before this became an issue. Keep in mind that this might change other driver changes you've made since then.

You upgraded the BIOS to version 2.50? The latest I see is 1.70 on the support site.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 1.70 for Satellite P200/P205 (PSPB0U)

Does it show up in Safe Mode or under a different user account?

- Peter
bchinson

Peter,

Unfortunately I don't have a System Restore point that goes back more than a week, and the DVD-ROM problem occured several weeks ago. I had not tried starting in Safe Mode until you suggested it. But it didn't work when I tried it.

However, I feel like a dork now because I just pushed the button to open the DVD tray, and when I did, the tray seemed very loose. Then I pulled the entire drive out without hardly trying. So it seems that my problem was a loose connection! I pushed it back in firmly and the DVD drive works fine now. I'm not sure why it is loose except that quite awhile ago I took the computer apart when trying to diagnose a power problem (which I didn't need to do since it turned out to be a damaged power cable).

Regarding the BIOS, I definitely downloaded an update from the Toshiba support site:

06-26-2008 BIOS

Thanks for the reply.
- Brian
Peter

Glad to hear you got it working. Is the drive secure now or is it still loose? I'd seek service if it remained loose.

- Peter
bchinson

Peter,

The hard drive is secure. I haven't had a problem with it since my last post. Thanks for checking.

- Brian