KolejMan

L650-11R: Problem with WLAN hotkey

Hello!

I have quite a strange problem: I can't disable WiFi module using Fn+F8.
It happens after Windows reinstallation. I have installed Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (MSDNAA). I have installed Broadcom WLAN driver, then Toshiba Value Added Pack and Bluetooth Stack from Toshiba website.
When I press Fn+F8 there is only a Bluetooth icon, I can enable and disable it. And there is no WiFi icon.
WLAN card is listed in Device Manager, it is working without problems.

Before reinstalling Windows, when I had used preinstalled Windows 7 HP, it worked properly: there were three icons, I could disable/enable WiFi, BT and both WiFi+BT pressing Fn+F8.

Did somebody have a problem like this? Can anyone help me?

Many thanks in advance.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: L650-11R: Problem with WLAN hotkey

Satellite L650-11R (PSK1JE-00F00JN5)  <- the Danish page

Why struggle with that stuff? Windows Home Premium already contains Windows 7 Professional (and Ultimate as well). All you need to do is unlock the new features, which takes only minutes and does not disturb the drivers or utilities.

Upgrade to another edition of Windows 7 by using Windows Anytime Upgrade

See how to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media at the top of p. 1-14 in the User's Manual (attached).

If you failed to burn the recovery discs, you can order them from Toshiba.

Toshiba Europe Backup Media Online Shop

-Jerry
KolejMan

Hello again,

I've lost HDD Recovery Utilities due to hard disk replacement. I didn't record my recovery discs and I don't want to buy them because of this minor drawback.

To be honest, I didn't like some of Toshiba preinstalled programs. Besides drivers, from Toshiba software I installed now only Toshiba Value Added Package and Toshiba Supervisor Password Utility. Maybe I should install something else to make it work?

Greetings.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I didn't like some of Toshiba preinstalled programs.

It's far easier to remove the bloat in my opinion than to try to get right which drivers need to be loaded in which order.

If you want to continue the struggle, try it this way. I'm only guessing. No guarantees.

Start over with a clean install of Windows. Install the Intel chipset software followed by the ATI display driver prior to any other drivers. Install this one for the wireless.

Intel WiMax/ WiFi Link/ Wireless Adapters for  Windows 7 (64), 14.1.1.3.1

wlan-intel-win7-64-141131.zip

Install the TVAP before any other Toshiba utility.

-Jerry
KolejMan

Hello,

I solved my problem on my own, after I read this thread: http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=259457#259457.

I installed and uninstalled Atheros WLAN card driver, despite having Broadcom WLAN card, and WiFi icon occurs. I don't have idea why, but it works.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I installed and uninstalled Atheros WLAN card driver, despite having Broadcom WLAN card

Happy to learn you got it to work.

Strange that an Atheros driver fixes a Broadcom card.

Overholdelse : Wi-Fi®
Netværksunderstøttelse : 802.11b/g/n
Producent : Broadcom®
Trådløs teknologi : Trådløst LAN
Producent : Broadcom®
Trådløs teknologi : Bluetooth®
topologi : Hurtigt Ethernet LAN
hastighed : 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX

-Jerry