Occasional Contributor
Mak0rz
Accepted Solution

I want to update my Intel HD Graphics drivers

[ Edited ]

Hi,

When I picked up this computer I noticed that it stalls periodically. Updating drivers from Intel fixed this, though I recently rolled back to test if it would fix the BSOD after waking from sleep problem. However, the periodic stalls returned, and now I cannot install the new drivers.

I've fished around and here's what I have tried based on testimonials from other people wishing to do the same:

• Instaling them using the Installer from Intel (I get a "not authorized to be installed on this computer" error)
  • Installing them using the workaround that allows them to be installed when this happens (results in a message from Windows saying that the drivers are already up to date, when they clearly aren't)
  • Installing them from the setup.exe file found in the .zip package (results in a "setup will terminate" error)

In all cases I tried uninstalling the drivers first and telling Windows not to install drivers automatically. Nothing worked.

I realize that I am able to get drivers from the Toshiba website, but understand that I am not willing to do this. I updated drivers before directly from Intel (somehow) and they worked fine. The Toshiba drivers are rather old and they cause periodic stalls that get extremely irritating.

How can I update my drivers? Here's what I'm rolling:

• Model: Toshiba L675
  • Part Number: PSK3AC-01900X (this is a Canadian distributor number as far as I know, but I'm pretty sure this doesn't matter)
  • Serial number: 6A546098K
  • BIOS version: 2.10
  • Current Intel HD Graphics driver version: V8.15.10.2202

EDIT:

How peculiar... My current driver version is actually newer than the driver version posted on the Toshiba website (V8.15.10.2086) and there are no more stalls. Though, this is still older than Intel's latest release, which I was attempting to install earlier. I guess somewhere along the line between updating and un/reinstalling the driver Windows rolled back to whichever one I was using before.

This problem isn't exactly solved, however. I would still like to know how to go about I go about updating my drivers, given the information above, if I wish to in the future?

Occasional Contributor
Mak0rz

Re: I want to update my Intel HD Graphics drivers

[ Edited ]

So nobody can tell me why my Satellite thinks its drivers are up-to-date when they clearly aren't? A quick Google search tells me that it's not unique to me.

Occasional Advisor
moroji

How do you know what Satellite thinks?  Error message?  How do you try the update?

-=: moroji :=-
Occasional Contributor
Mak0rz

I'm not really sure how to make it more clear than I did in my first post...

jgroves71

[ Edited ]

Toshiba tells you the drivers are up to date because they are using a customized driver, not the generic Intel driver. The problem is that Toshiba does not keep up to date with every version of the driver that Intel releases; the version you have is unfortunately the most recent customized version. This puts the onus on Toshiba to port their customizations to the latest Intel drivers.

I have the same issue as you. How did you manage to apply the generic Intel driver the first time, and did it work out for you? I couldn't find a way to apply it, and I'm a bit afraid of voiding the warranty if I abandon the customized driver for the generic driver.

Occasional Contributor
Mak0rz

jgroves71 wrote:

Toshiba tells you the drivers are up to date because they are using a customized driver, not the generic Intel driver. The problem is that Toshiba does not keep up to date with every version of the driver that Intel releases; the version you have is unfortunately the most recent customized version. This puts the onus on Toshiba to port their customizations to the latest Intel drivers.

I have the same issue as you. How did you manage to apply the generic Intel driver the first time, and did it work out for you? I couldn't find a way to apply it, and I'm a bit afraid of voiding the warranty if I abandon the customized driver for the generic driver.

The driver I'm using is newer than the one on Toshiba's page. I installed it some time ago without any trouble whatsoever, but it does not fix the BSOD on wake problem. All it fixes is a periodic five-second stall that would happen for reasons unknown.

Installing drivers will (should!) never void your warranty. It's just software. If it's incompatable with your current hardware you'll have display trouble and whatnot until you roll it back, but it won't cause physical damage.

Spaceboy

hi there, i have the same problem with my toshiba satellite a505 s6014, sometimes it freezes using msn 2011 and i tried to update the graphics driver but this not possible because of the customize driver, i dont know what to do, someone of you have a solution? are you tried with ubuntu or another version of windows 7?  

Occasional Contributor
Mak0rz

[ Edited ]

A newer set of drivers (February 2011) are published on Windows Update now. I'll install them and let everyone know if they're worth getting.

Occasional Contributor
Mak0rz

The drivers work fine. Those of you wanting to update should let Windows Update take care of the job.

Note that I will not consider this a solution, as it doesn't change the following facts:

A: Toshiba is restricting driver updates
B: They do not update their proprietized drivers

Spaceboy

i installed all the updates from windows 7 including service pack 1 but i cant see any change, the system still freeze and i dont know what to do, today i make the os backup and the application and drivers backup separately, and i want to reinstall windows 7 without applications and drivers, only windows 7 to try install the last generic driver from intel and see what happen and let everyone know if worth

siriusgamer

If you want to use the stock Intel drivers from their website, you need the zip version.

Extract the zip somewhere, Location does not matter

Go into Device Manager, (type Device Manager in the windows search bar)

Click Display Adapters and Intel HD Graphics.

Go to the tab labeled "Drivers"

Click "Update Drivers"  and "Browse my computer for drivers"

Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers"

Click the Have Disk Button,

Navigate to where your extracted drivers are and go into the directory labeled "Graphics"

Select the file named "igdlh.INF"

Click on the OK button and then click Next, the drivers should install

After that you need to reboot, and after rebooting your drivers should be updated.

Occasional Contributor
Mak0rz

Wow, that worked! Thanks!

Jetto

Does it work with a Satellite L650 ? I want to make sure before trying in case it kills my computer.

siriusgamer

The method I described in the post above will work on any computer, but I'll warn you, when I did this and I was on the generic Intel drivers, gaming peformance was much lower than when I was on the toshiba drivers.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Intel describes the procedure here.

Customized computer manufacturer graphics driver is detected

-Jerry