tvanedeveer

How to delete unwanted preinstalled trial software

I already have Office 2007 and the security software of my choice.  How do I get rid of the preinstalled Office trial and symantec Intertnet Security to prevent accidental conflict?

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

Re: How to delete unwanted preinstalled trial software

this should help. its what i used 

pc decrapifier

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
tvanedeveer

With all of the viruses going around, it would be nice if people posted explanations with the "quick fixes" they post.  Thank you for your input but only a total fool would click on a posting like this, even if it was absolutely legit.

deltonag8r

Just bought my Satelite over the weekend and had same problem. Click start>control panel>programs and features, then schroll through the list and double click on the software you wish to uninstall. The Office and Norton programs are clearly annotated. Just make sure that you DO NOT uninstall any software that you aren't 100% sure you don't need. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

you can not completely get rid of norton that way. you will need to use norton removal tool from symantec(people who make norton) here is the link.

norton removal tool

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
lmnoski

The Norton Removal Tool STILL does not remove everything. Symantec Sytem Framework will still show up in the Task Manager, taking up about 5,500K RAM, and when you attempt to shut it down that way, it only restarts itself. Zombies. O.O

So I went to the Norton website for help, and chatted there live with Shanmukh Kumar. I explained that the Norton Removal Tool did not indeed remove Norton entirely, and that Symantec was still showing up in the Task Manager. I also explained that this was a brand-new computer and I wanted to remove Norton completely, as I had no interest in it. Shanmukh first asked me for my telephone number in the event that he/she might need to call me. Give Norton my telephone number? Uhh, no thanks. Shanmukh then asked me what email address I used to register Norton, and I told Shanmukh that I had never registered it, as, again, this was a brand-new computer, and I only wanted to remove Norton from it. Shanmukh then asked for my permission to connect to my computer where he/she (is Shanmukh a male or female name? Not sure, being that we don't have a lot of Shanmukh's in America -- although we do have plenty of Nortons. Go figure.) would be able to basically stick his/her grubby, Nortony hands into my brand new $700 computer and do as he/she pleased. Yeah, no, I don't think so. I quickly denied access and shut the chat down, as Shanmukh said he/she could be of no other assistance. Typical.

So from there, I did one search each from Start on Norton and on Symantec, and nothing showed up. So I then went into my Program Files through Windows Explorer, and there I found Norton PC Check Up folders. I tried to manually delete them, but was denied because the files were being used by Symantec System Framework. I then shut down Symantec System Framework through the Task Manager, and then I was able to finally delete them.

I'm still not sure if I've gotten every Norton fingerprint off of my new system, but I sure do hope so.

Occasional Advisor
TheWarrior

Best way to remove norton is running the norton removal tool while in SAFE MODE.

As for MS office. Uninstall it like any regular programs. If something goes wrong with office uninstall, run the windows cleanup utility.

gcristof

Go to Control Panel and Uninstall Program "Toshiba Laptop Check" (in Win7 you will notice the Manufacturer is actually Symantec).

Gone! :smileyvery-happy:

wittlemom

i have a toshiba satellite that came with the preinstalled norton on it and cannot get it off what do i do?

civicman4 wrote:

this should help. its what i used 

pc decrapifier

toshibipoop

start>all programs
at the bottom of the list i think there was a folder name starting with toshiba that had a toshiba laptop check uninstall or something like that. if you click that you see that it is the norton pc check stuff you want to get rid of. just let it uninstall, empty the recycle bin, then use explorer to find the few remaining norton programs and right click-delete them and empty the recycle bin. done

Bozwell

I have gone into my control panel & tried to uninstall .  It just won't "Uninstall" !