jephph

Fn Key Utility (Brightness Control)

I had to format and re-install Windows XP Home on a Satellite A105-S4201 Psaa8u-0py03g Laptop. I installed XP, and updated to SP3. The brightness control no longer works using Fn+F6/F7 (or any other way for that matter). It was working before the format.
I tried a couple of different Common Modules installs. This one: tc00324000b (version 6.07.03) won't even install. Gave me error message, "TVALG Driver installation has failed". And this one: SPA210 TCommon Modules-XP (version 1.00.06) installed, and had me restart, but when I tried to install the hotkey utilities afterward, it said "TOSHIBA Common Module not found! This setup will terminate." Also, I have the latest BIOS version installed (v 6.0)
Any ideas?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Fn Key Utility (Brightness Control)

Satellite A105-S4201 (PSAA8U-0PY03G)

Downloads here

There are insufficient Windows XP downloads at our site above. Best to use the Toshiba drivers and utilities here. The European part-number family PSAA8E is equivalent to our PSAA8U.

model.JPG

In order for the features of your laptop to work properly, you need to install essentially all of the drivers and utilities there. The order of installation matters. Install the Intel chipset software followed by the Intel display driver prior to any other drivers. Install the Common Modules before any other Toshiba utility.

I have attached the suggested order of installation for the European equivalent models. (Some of the items on this list don't apply because it covers several similar models.)

-Jerry