Gmaz1294
Accepted Solution

Desperately need Ethernet Controller Driver

[ Edited ]

Hello forum, i've just recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled my OS on my Toshiba Satellite A665-S6070. I'm currently running on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. I managed to back up all my drivers and reinstalled what i could but, among various other drivers that aren't working, i cannot seem to get my NIC card up and running. Neither my Wi-fi or a directly connected Ethernet cable work. When i troubleshoot it tells me that it does not detect a properly installed network adapter. I've used software such as "Unknown Drivers" and it tells me that the Ethernet Controller i am missing is the "Realtek Semiconductor RTL8139/810x FastEthernet NIC." I've downloaded multiple drivers, both from the Toshiba and the Realtek website, nothing has worked so far. Any help on how to get this working would be greatly appreciated. :smileyvery-happy:

Gmaz1294

Re: Desperately need Ethernet Controller Driver

Anybody? =/

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

OK, I'll bite. But, 27 minutes wasn't very long to wait for a response, before prompting us again! :smileyhappy:

Regardless, here's my 2 cents worth. Your Satellite A665-S6070 Specifications show that your system can use a maximum of 8GB of RAM, and that it originally came with Windows 7 Home Prem. 64bit version.

So, by installing the 32bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate, you have limited your upgrade path, as the 32bit version can only handle a maximum of 4GB of RAM. As well, this required you to do a 'clean' or custom install of the 32bit version, as opposed to the straight upgrade of the Win7 Home Prem 64bit, to Ultimate 64bit versions you could have done. In addition, it would appear from your Satellite A665-S6070 Downloads page, that there is not a full set of Windows 7 32bit drivers for your your system, eg the critical 'Chipset' drivers.  

More importantly, you have probably wiped out, or at least rendered unusable, your Toshiba Recovery Parition/Utility, which can be an invaluable troubleshooting tool. See pages 61-74 of your Satellite A660 Series User Guide.  In addition, this would have contained all the Toshiba drivers/utilities you needed. So, unless you made a set of Toshiba recovery disks/media before you installed Ultimate, you'll need to order the recovery media to replace it.

Ordering Recovery Media

IMHO, you have 2 main options at this point. If you have a set Toshiba Recovery disks, or if you're willing to order them, then use these to rebuild your HDD to its factory default out-of-the-box condition. Then do an in place upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. This is what I would recommend.

If you do not have a set of recovery disks, and you are unwilling to order them, then do another 'clean' - custom install of Windows 7 Ultimate, this time using the 64bit version, and carefully follow these directions and use this utility.

How to Custom Install Windows 7 and add Toshiba-provided drivers & utilities with the Toshiba Softwa...

Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7

Good luck.

Mike

Gmaz1294

Thanks so much Mike. I installed Window 7 Ultimate 64-bit and ran the Toshiba Software Utility. Unfortunately, it needs internet access to install the drivers, so it defeats the purpose of getting my NIC card working. Any other suggestions?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Install this, do all your Windows Updates, and then run the Toshiba Software Installer again:

Realtek LAN Driver

Good luck.

Mike

Gmaz1294

Thank you. :smileyvery-happy: my NIC card is only working through directly connected ethernet but it's a start.

Do you mind looking at my other post ?

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Drivers-and-Utilities/Nvidia-Graphics-Drivers/td-p/182074

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Did you try the Toshiba Software Installer again with the ethernet plugged in?  It might save you a lot of time and grief.

Regardless, the order of loading of drivers and Toshiba utilities is critical.

For drivers, generally you want to load:

1) Chipset related

2) Display

3) Sound

4) then all other drivers

For Toshiba utilities/software

1) Toshiba Value Added Package (TVAP)

2) Toshiba Flash Card Utility (sometimes included in the above)

3) then all other Toshiba utilities and software

In your particular case load these drivers in this order:

Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

Intel Turbo Boost Technology Driver

Intel Management Engine Interface

nVidia Display Driver(v261.32)(64bit)

I'm not sure what sound card you have, probably the Realtek. Try it first, only if it doesn't work try the nVidia sound driver.

Realtek Audio Driver

nVidia HD Audio Driver

Then all the other drivers. Make sure you're loading the 64bit version. Click on the '+' (plus) symbol beside some of the drivers to find other versions.

Next load these utilities/software in this order:

Toshiba Value Added Package

Toshiba Flash Cards Support Utility

Then all the other Toshiba utilities and software.

Good luck.

Mike