jmcupp

DVD RW will play CDs but not DVDs

I have a toshiba laptop(a215-s4747) and I cant get it to play my restoration disk or any dvd but it will play CDs. the only drive listed is the DVD RW. I dont know a whole lot about computers but I would think that it wasnt a hardware problem if it was still running the CDs. But I really have no idea...would someone please help me.

thank you

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: DVD RW will play CDs but not DVDs

That is NOT an uncommon occurance.  DVD's and CD's use different mechanism's and circuitry on the drive so one can go out while the other continues to work.  It's more common to have the CD fail than the DVD, but anything is possible.  Try cleaning the drive with a lens cleaning disk and/or compressed air to see if that helps.  Also try shutting down the system, unplugging the AC adapter, removing the battery, and holding down the power button for a minimum of 30 seconds to clear the system of residual charges.  This often times helps with this. 

If neither of these two helps it's probably a defective drive that will need to be replaced.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

robduckman

Re: DVD RW will play CDs but not DVDs

Cleaninng the device seemed to fix the problem for me