tjla87
Accepted Solution

DVD/CD-ROM driver problems

My laptop (L505 S5966) will not recognize my HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT20N drive. After doing a bunch of Windows updates I found that the drive was not being recognized.  After checking in the Device Manager it stated that the registry for this drive is incomplete or damaged.

I’ve tried un-installing, with no result, and a system restore, but no result.  When I uninstalled the driver and re-booted I received the message that the driver failed to install properly. 

How should I go about fixing this?

Regular Advisor
Rincewind

Re: DVD/CD-ROM driver problems

tjla87 wrote:

My laptop (L505 S5966) will not recognize my HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT20N drive. After doing a bunch of Windows updates I found that the drive was not being recognized.  After checking in the Device Manager it stated that the registry for this drive is incomplete or damaged.

I’ve tried un-installing, with no result, and a system restore, but no result.  When I uninstalled the driver and re-booted I received the message that the driver failed to install properly. 

How should I go about fixing this?

Try this:
CD / DVD drive missing from 'My Computer' (Windows Explorer)
http://kb.toshiba.com/98080671

tjla87

The fix worked very nicely.  Thanks for the advice. 

tjla87

dswrightson

I have spent 5 hours today trawling the web to work out how to recover my D: dvd/cd drive.  I got an error that said - Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)  I have a Toshiba Satellite P500 and lost the D: drive after I put an old SD card into the card reader at the front of the computer clicked on the little green tick icon on the bottom right hand side of screen to safely remove the card and lost my D: drive.  When I opened the device manager I had a yellow exclamation mark next to the HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT20N.  I tried to uninstall and reinstall with no luck.  Did system restore with no luck.  I always safely remove hardware device when I am using my USB flash drive (comes us as drive E:smileyhappy: and have never had a problem.  I am not sure if I am supposed to click on the icon to safely remove the SD card so would appreciate any comments (scared I might have the same problem).  Anyhow I would just like to say the fix mentioned above worked like a charm for me.  I had downloaded instructions on how to delete registry keys and was scared to death.  Thanks for adding this fix to the forum.  You have saved me hours of agony and I am sure you will save others.  THANKS!!!

RuFuS

Thanks so much.....worked for me as well, with the same circumstances.

Schavo

Same problem - different OS. Any ideas how to fix it on Windows 7? Got Code 52 - deinstalled the drive etc., tried the Toshiba software installer - nothing worked so far :smileyhappy:

Would be grateful for any thoughts.

Cheers

Schavo

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Does this help?  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

Do you have iTunes installed?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Schavo

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your help, but I can't find anything related to Windows 7. iTunes isn't installed - just bought this laptop at Saturday - therefore there isn't anything installed yet but essential programs.

However I tried pressing F8 during booting in order to enable driver signature enforcement - which kind of worked. Well at least if you only need the writer once in a while :smileywink: (and I do)

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

If you only purchased it on Saturday I would think about exchanging it for one that works correctly.  You shouldn't have to try to fix a brand new one like this.  If it had been me that thing would have been back at the store I purchased it from that same day or the next.  These things only get worse over time.  When I spend good money I expect it to work right out of the box or back it goes.

And just because that page was for Vista doesn't mean it doesn't apply to Windows 7 as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Schavo

Thanks again. I just encountered this problem today - and thought this was a minor one, however it wasn't and I was just happy to be able to finish the job =) - but you're probably right by saying that I should check by the store and change it for a working one.

Cheers

Schavo

waynedl

I have the same DVD-CD-ROM driver problem and have tried all the Microsoft fixes.  Will the http://kb.toshiba.com/98080671 URL workfor me on my L305D-S5914, model #PSLCOU-031022 or do I need a different URL?  Thanks.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

There is no way for anyone to know for sure if it will work for you or not.  You will have to try it to find out if it does.  It isn't model or even brand specific so there is a good chance that it will though.

lkwdcampbell

The fix worked perfectly as stated before, I am so relieved it was this easy. 

Thank you so much

paulking

I have a portege M400, running wnows vista.  I tried the toshiba fix at the top of thi list, it did not work, i tried the microsoft fix listed an it found no problems.  The drive is recognized, but I can not burn anything to it

zarfat

Hi ,I have tried to solve the same problem with this link but it dint work for me.It says operation failed.I have got a Toshiaba satellite A500/041-HNX Laptop.Dvd drive is  hl-dt-hg-dvdram-gt20n.Can anyone help me out in fixing the problem plz..My laptop is still under warranty.Do you recon i should get it fixed by them plz..Thanks !

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

zarfat wrote:

Hi ,I have tried to solve the same problem with this link but it dint work for me.It says operation failed.I have got a Toshiaba satellite A500/041-HNX Laptop.Dvd drive is  hl-dt-hg-dvdram-gt20n.Can anyone help me out in fixing the problem plz..My laptop is still under warranty.Do you recon i should get it fixed by them plz..Thanks !

First thing to do now is backup all of your data then use either your recovery disks or the hard drive based recovery system to restore your system back to it's factory out of box state.  If that doesn't fix it then it's time to bite the bullet and contact actual Toshiba Technical Support by telephone to see what they have to say about it. 

joanr

I have tried this but it didn't work for me any other help?? thanks

joanr

oops sorry I didn't leave complete information - I have a satellite p500 ST6822. The message is driver

HL-DT-STD DVDRAM-10F has code 19.  The operating system is WIN 7 64 bit.  I tried the link to the Toshiba fix utility - didn't work. I checked Microsoft - no help except uninstall and reinstall driver.  I can't find the driver anywhere on Toshiba site.  I do have itunes and have had for some time without a problem with my cd/dvd use.

I have added no new hdw/software nor no of any reason for registry changes.

Thanks. 

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

First try going into Device Manager and uninstall the driver, then reboot the system to have Windows re-install it. 

If that doesn't work backup your data and use the Recovery System to restore your system to it's out of box state. If that doesn't fix it you have a hardware failure.  If it's under warranty contact actual Toshiba Technical Support by phone to arrange for them to repair it. 

There is no driver to download as it is supplied by Windows as part of the Windows install. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

See my reply to your other message.

-Jerry