koriography

CD burner has unknown error

My brand new, out-of-the-box satellite L655 won't burn CD's.  In i-Tunes it begins the burning process, but then says an "unknown error" occurred.  A similar thing happens when I try to burn in Media Player.  I downloaded the Disc Creator software offered on Toshiba.com: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=268156..., restarted my computer, but it still shows the same error. 

I did successfully create my back-up DVD's, but I really need to be able to burn both DVD's and CD's.  Any tips appreciated.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: CD burner has unknown error

First thing I would do is run the Recovery Process to restore the system to it's factory out of box state.  Sometimes there is some corruption on the install and this shoudld eliminate that possibility. 

If that doesn't fix it I recommend returning it to place of purchase and exchange it for one that works like it's supposed to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

koriography

Sorry for the incomplete info.  It's the Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5050.  I recovered it to the out-of-box state and still has the same problem.  The store I got it from has their own "service/help" and they told me I was probably not using high enough quality CD's, and that I should use Toshiba CD's (which are hard to find).  Is that a viable problem?  I am a deal finder-- and buy CD's on sale, but none of my other computers have a hard time burning on Memorex.  Thanks for any help

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I ONLY use Verbatum disks with the AZO dye or Sonys of what is available locally.  I NEVER use TDK, Memowrecks, house brands, HP, or any of the crap that you can get at WalMart or most of the Office Supply Stores.  Otherwise order from some of the better online suppliers of quality disk and get Taiyo Yuden or Falcon Media disk (only the better quality ones, not the economy or budget disks).  Toshiba doesn't make their own blank disks, and if I'm not mistaken they have theirs made by CMC which is about the lowest of the low in quality (basically the exact same disks that they make for Memowrecks). Depending on what you are using it is possible, but not probable.  Poor quality disks will normally complete the burn process, but won't pass verification or a burn scan, and won't play back properly.  I burn a hundred or more disks a month and have rarely seen a bad disk simply pop out an unkown error, but then I don't use any of the burning apps you mention.  I use Imageburn or BurnAware Free for 90% of my burning and use Nero for the rest.  Imageburn and BurnAware Free don't cost you anything except the time it takes to download them.  They aren't that large so it doesn't take long to do download them.  I would give BurnAware Free a try (it's a little easier to use than Imageburn) to see if you get any better results as it gives you a LOT more control of the burning process than the software provided by Toshiba. 

One other thing about using cheap discount disks.  Even when you do get a reasonably decent burn, they tend not to hold up very well.  I have some burns from cheap disks (like Memowrecks) that some of the information is now unreadable, and these disks are only a couple of years old.  I have some burned on good quality disks that read back perfectly that were burned over 10 years ago.  Add that the amount of bad burns from cheapo disks vs. high quality disks and it ends up being less expensive to use the better disks in the first place. 

When you do try to burn the next CD, try burning at a slower speed.  On some burners and disks you might need to burn as slow as 8x to 12x to get a decent burn. 

You might want to try posting on the MyCE forums as they specialize in burning disks among other things.  That is probably the very best source of Burning information and help there is.

But if the store is so sure that the quality of the disks is what is causing the problem have them prove if by doing a burn with one of their recommended disks. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Nate_Waack

[ Edited ]

I have the exact same model of computer with the exact same problem.  The tech support's answer of "the cd burner doesn't work with all burnable cd's" is ridiculous.  It's 2010, not 1990, and the cd-r's I've tried on the Toshiba have worked perfectly fine in 3 other cd burners (all on older non-Toshiba pc's).  If you do a search of this forum, it's obvious that it's not the media that's the problem and that Toshiba just uses INCREDIBLY cheap, garbage cd burners.  There should be a recall on all of these computers and Toshiba should be sending us new cd/dvd burners that actually work.  What a joke!  I bought a computer that advertised that it had a cd/dvd burner.  Since I can't burn cd's even though my media is not malfunctioning, that's FALSE ADVERTISING as far as I'm concerned.  Does anyone from Toshiba read these posts? 

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Yes you see it quite often in the forums but that is only a small fraction of the ones sold. 99.9% or more of the users never have problems so they rarely post in foums like this stating how well theirs works.  People only post when they do have a problem. 

I always tell people to check their CD/DVD burners by using ImgBurn or BurnAware Free (two excellent and totally FREE burning applications).  If they can burn with these two packages then the problem is a configuration problem with the pre-installed software or the Media Players they are trying use to burn.  

And I still say that the best sort of help one can get with burning is to go to MyCE as I stated previously in this thread.  They have the best group of burning experts and would be able to figure out what the problem is. 

Finally, before you accuse me of being a Toshiba fanbuy you need to read some of my other posts.  I am far from a fan of Toshiba.  But I am a realist.  Toshiba makes enough mistakes with their lack of customer and technical service overall, but their laptops aren't that bad overal.  Sure they have some issues, but the biggest issue is the lack of knowledgeable Tech Support Employees that speak functional English and end users who are unwilling to return their defective products for a refund or exchange.  If something doesn't work right out of the box people shouldn't waste their time trying to troubleshoot it.  Return it and get one that works right out of the box.  One that you have to troubleshoot right out of the box is one that 99% of the time will always have problems.