Occasional Contributor
BT2U

CD/DVD rom won't read anything

Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5900
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual 3GB
32-bit
Windows Vista-Home Premium
SP2

OK! My CD/DVD rom was working fine about 1-2 months ago and now it won't read anything. It does its' initial start up sound and the motor runs like it's going to work but nothing. When I right click on the drive in my computer it will do a nano second flash of the window then nothing. It' so fast I don't even see the whole window. I've done the Mr Fixit and the first time it read the CD in the drive while running the fix. But when I finished and tried to run the same disc nothing happened. I ran the test again and all it did was send me to a Microsoft link that wanted $$ to talk to me. NOT!

Can someone help?

Thanks in Advance

Regards

BT2U

Toshiba Satellite L350D-S5900 Vista
"A Question is a step to learning and I 'm learning one step at a time."
kbissell

Re: CD/DVD rom won't read anything

I have a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5917 that I got about a year and a half ago. All of the sudden my CD/DVD rom will only read the same 3 movies. I don't know what to do to fix it, or how much it will cost for some one else to fix it. I can't afford anymore bills, but watching movies is mainly what I got this laptop for. I feel your pain.:smileysad:

senso

Hello, first sorry for my bad english, I had an idea to discard if the problem is for the OS or for your dvd rom, try to insert and boot from the rescue system dvd's, don't install, just try to boot from them, it can tell you if you need a new dvd unit, or just reinstall the system, and again, sorry for my bad english, good luck.

LVJDawg3DX

I am also having the same problem with my CD/DVD drive, whenever I put a CD or DVD in my drive, it is not detected by the Computer. I've had this PC for 9 months and have had this issue since June. I've reinstalled the software for the system, went back to the factory defaults and still no luck. I have Satellite L505D-S5992 with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. Thanks in advance for any help with this

Occasional Contributor
BT2U

I did a check on the DVD part and found it works fine. It reads and plays the movies off a DVD but the CD part doesn't function Haven't tried the rescue cd yet. Not sure if that will solve the issue. BT2U
Occasional Contributor
BT2U

So further reading in this forum found something similar to my issue Here: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Drivers-and-Utilities/CD-ROM/m-p/51005, and started thinking about checking the hardware which led me to go one step further and check my computer management and in the Reliability Monitor I found that back in June/July I had a Memory problem. Under Failure Type it said Bad Memory.I found back then that my memory cards are going and will need to be replaced. My question is, Could this have anything to do with the CD part not functioning? I'm thinking not,but I'm no tech and that's why I am here asking for a tech's help. Regards BT2U