Occasional Contributor
rayovlight

Blinking flickering screen, now totally black/white, won't reboot

Hi everyone,

I got such great help with this board before, I was hoping someone could help me again.  I'm running a Satellite A205 and an A215.  First things first:

The A215.  The screen suddenly started to flicker viciously, I barely had visibility.  Then it was gone.  I thought maybe it was a driver thing.  I had just updated my video driver.  I read here that it might be a good idea to update the BIOS.  But my question is, how can I when I can't even get the computer to boot up.  There's no picture, nothing.  This computer is about 2 years old, never been dropped and other than an issue I had with it that made me come to this board in the first place, I've never had a problem.

I tried to reboot from the recovery disk and was running tests, but when it rebooted the screen went blank again.  All the flickering totally stopped when I was viewing the recovery disk and when I was in safe mode.  I wanted to go into safe mode with networking again to update the BIOS but now I can't get ANYTHING on the screen.  It's just white.  Not bright white, just... whitish.  Please I hope someone can help me without having me wipe the whole system.  I backed up files, etc, but I will lose a heck of alot of emails if I have to do this.  I wasn't able to back them up.

Now the A205 is just shutting down for no reason whatsoever.  Sometimes it locks up first.  Other times it's just sitting there and then nothing... black... then it reboots and says there was an error when it shut down (well of course, it didn't close windows first, it just stopped).

I'm running Windows Vista on both of these laptops.

Can someone please please help me?  I saw the flicker on the A215 about a week ago, but it was so fast I wasn't really sure it was there.  But today, it was horrible... and now I can't boot up.  I hope someone can tell me something other than get a new laptop.  I don't have an external monitor to check anything on, so that's not an option.  It just seemed like a driver thing to me since it worked when I booted up in safe mode.  If I can just get into safe mode, I might be able to poke around a bit.

Oh help!

Thank you in advance,

Christa.

Occasional Contributor
rayovlight

Re: Blinking flickering screen, now totally black/white, won't reboot

I forgot to mention.  When it's a white screen, I can't hold the on/off button to shut it down.  I have to actually unplug it and pull the battery to get it to turn off.  Then I can get it back to the black screen.

Thanks.

Christa.

Occasional Contributor
rayovlight

Hello again,

I let the computer sit for a while and I was able to get into it and download the BIOS so I could update.  The computer booted up fine and I was able to sit there for about 3 minutes before it started flickering and flashing and I lost the screen.  It went to total black.  I wasn't able to update the BIOS since it was saying that a file is missing.  It's a file from a temp folder.  That's all I can tell you, I didn't see it for long.  I will let it sit again though I don't know what I'm doing once I'm able to boot up.  It seems once the computer gets warmed up or something, the screen starts flickering, etc.

I ran all my virus things (Malware Bytes, Spyware Blast, Avast) and all came up squeaky clean.

Just wanted to update you.  I guess now I'm at a standstill.  Any ideas?

Christa.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

DO NOT attempt to update the bios while it is acting like that.  If it crashes or shuts off during a bios update it will corrupt the bios and require sending it in to have it fixed.  That can take up to 3 months to get the laptop back and will cost you at least a hundred dollars US. 

And NEVER update a bios from within windows.  Always create a self booting bios update disk (either a CD or floppy disk depending on what drives the computer has available). 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Contributor
rayovlight

Would have been nice if the instructions included those little tidbits.  Seeing as it didn't work anyway, it doesn't really matter but I won't try it again.

So what SHOULD I do...

Christa.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

If I knew I would have posted that.  It sounds like a hardware problem to me though based on what you have posted so far, and that is difficult at best to diagnose on a forum like this. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Contributor
rayovlight

I'm reading that the problem I'm having with the A205 shutting itself down whenever the heck it feels like it is a permenant thing unless I'm willing to pay to have someone fix it.  Is this correct?

I cleaned the A205 today, made sure there was no dust, wire damage etc.  Everything looks alright.  I'll back up the favorites and mail later on, but from what I'm reading, it's just a matter of time before it dies it seems.

As for the A215, I've giving it a rest because it seems to be able to give me about 5 minutes when I've pulled the battery and let it rest with no power.  All that's left is for me to back up my mail, so if I can get in there for 5 minutes while I back up the mail, I'm ok with using the recovery disk, I have nothing to lose that isn't backed up  but I'm pretty much waiting til someone has an idea as to what I can try or what they think the problem might be whether software or hardware.  I can't really afford a new laptop right now, so I would LOVE to get the thing up and running at least for a couple months while I'm saving for a new one.  I've had nothing but problems with my two Toshibas since the warrenties have run out.  I'm pretty disappointed.

Anyone have any ideas for my A215 problem please?

Thanks!

Christa.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Power it up and go directly into the bios then go to the Health section (I don't have that model availalbe to tell you specifically what it is called, but it would list temps, voltages, etc.).  See what the CPU temp is and leave it on that screen to see how long it takes before it shuts down.  This might give us some idea as to what is happening.

Hopefully Jerry will be along to provide his insights as to possible WIndows problems that could be causing the problems.

Occasional Contributor
rayovlight

Ok actually forget about the A205.  I had to reinstall Windows and that fixed it.  Something was corrupted I think.

As for the A215.  It's fried.  Motherboard is blown.  Hard drive we aren't sure about just yet, still playing around with it but I salvaged my emails off of it (I had just backed up everything else thankfully) so everything's good.  My birthday's around the corner, so my husband is splitting the cost of a new laptop with me, so I'm on my way to get one now.  I have no clue what happened.  I don't know what causes the motherboard and hard drive to just... stop.  No clue.  Anyway, thanks, Cee for your help, I appreciate it a great deal.  I'm considering the A215 to be beyond help at this point.  Too expensive to fix it, cheaper to just buy a new one.

Thanks again!  Be well!

Christa.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Three things tend to cause a motherboard to die.  Overheating,  electrical surges, or physical damage such as liquid spills/submersion, dropping, etc. 

Occasional Contributor
rayovlight

Well I know the submersion/spills wasn't a problem, nor was dropping.  Not sure about electrical surges, but I would easily accept the overheating.  Where the vent is on this, I had to prop it up cause it was always overheating.  And of course we have dogs and high dust content where we live.  Poor thing never had a chance.  I kept it cleaned out as much as I could, but maybe it was just too much for it.  Sheesh.  Of all the things...

Christa.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I'm constantly amazed at how long some laptops last considering the compact nature of them and the way they get abused even unintentionally.  That's one of the reasons I tend to go for lower cost laptops rather than expensive ones and use them for their intended purpose.  I ue a desktop for demanding applications like gaming, video and image editing, etc.  as they are more capable of handling the stress and heat than a laptop can. 

Occasional Contributor
rayovlight

The laptops are good for me as I'm disabled and spend alot of time in bed or on the sofa.  I just think it's amazing that they make these laptops to be portable and they don't put into consideration that if it's a portable object, it bound to get alot of abuse.  I cringed when I took my laptop on a flight a couple years ago. The way the tray shot out of the machine and down that little ramp.  Made my heart stop.  There are alot of ways laptops can be improved to withstand the beating they ar bound to take.  Course people have to actually care in order to improve them.  I don't have the room for a desktop at this time.  But I do alot of gaming and playing around with images and website work so when we move, I'd like to invest in a really nice desktop.

The new laptop is working well thankfully.  I'm annoyed at IE though cause it keeps bugging me about the add-ons.  I had to disable them because IE was crashing constantly now I can't figure out how to put off the bar at the top that says "IE is currently running with add-ons disabled.  Click here to manage, disable or remove your add-ons."  It's just a little thing, but it's annoying.

Christa.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

That is exactly why I prefer the older style cases from a few years ago instead of these flimsy lightweight cases they build them in now.  But people demanded lighter weight and the only way to get that is to use lighter weight and thinner materials so for the most part todays laptops do NOT fit the need. 

Occasional Contributor
rayovlight

That is SO TRUE.  They are getting "lighter" but in all reality, they are just getting flimsier.  It's a shame, laptops are a great idea... but come on... make them better!

My new one doesn't even have a clip on it to lock the top when it closes.  My husband and I thought it was silly that his sister's new Compaq did have a lock on it for the top.  But it seems none of the new ones do.  All I know is that if I ever have to take this anywhere, I'm going to belt the thing shut and do alot of praying.  The lack of latch doesn't make me happy.

Windows 7 is kinda cool thought.

C.