Occasional Contributor
maryanet
Accepted Solution

BIOS update 2.3

I have a Satellite A665-6095, BIOS VER 1.70, running Windows7 64-bit.

I have never updated the BIOS, but am having issues with a replacement battery and one suggestion was to update the BIOS.  I tried to update from the Toshiba Service Station.  It downloaded. but at installation I get the following message:

Installing UEFI WinFlash 0.02

There is an error occured, please check below items.

BIOS version above 230.

Battery capactiy more than 20%

AC is attached

I have taken battery out and am running on AC. I updated the Service Station,shut down and started fresh, but still get that screen.

Regular Advisor
billkunert

Re: BIOS update 2.3

I may be mistaken in this but I was under the impression that the UEFI bios was for Windows 8 and can not be loaded on a machine that doesn't already have UEFI.

L875D-S7232 (Win 8.1)
Peter

It sounds like it requires the battery to be in the laptop in case of AC failure.

Bill, that's what I believed at first too, but I was mistaken. Some models can be upgraded to UEFI from BIOS, but it depends on the ROM size. To make matters a little more confusing, some model lines may have some models with BIOS and some with UEFI. Toshiba uses a single version number. In other words, let's say there's a new update - version 2.60. The download will contain 2.60 of the BIOS and 2.60 of the UEFI (probably skipping some numbers on the UEFI side to keep things the same), and it'll install the appropriate one. That also means that in theory if there's a problem with only the BIOS version, the 2.70 update won't be changing anything for UEFI users except the version number.

It sounds a little confusing, but it really just means that customers don't need to think about whether they have BIOS or UEFI.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
maryanet

[ Edited ]

I first tried it with the battery in and got the same message-which is why I took battery out.

I don't know what UEFI is, but was updating BIOS according to my Toshiba Service Station.

I tried BIOS version 2.2 and 2.3 and got same result.  Do I have to update in steps?  Should I update to Version 1.8 first then 1.9,and so on , up to 2.3?

Peter

UEFI takes the place of the BIOS. Toshiba has chosen to continue calling UEFI "BIOS" just to make it easier. In another words, feel free to forget the term "UEFI."

You don't need to do in steps. Just install the latest.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
maryanet

Thanks for the info.  I am still stuck, though, in that I cannot install the update. 

Is there somewhere else I can go to, to try to re-download and install?

Occasional Contributor
maryanet

I was able to update by going to the Product Support page and finding the download there.  Worked without incident.  Still not sure what happened with the Service Station ....but my BIOS is updated

Peter

I'm glad to hear it!

- Peter