jrhd437

BIOS PROBLEM!!! (32 on 64 bit!)

I have a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005 that is i3, 64-bit, Windows 7 Premium.

My SD card reader has not worked in some time and upon signing in to the computer, it says a Toshiba service is not working.

To fix the problem I tried to update the computer. It said there was a BIOS update. After installing the BIOS update I realized it was for 32-bit systems. My computer seems to be running much slower. If someone could help me with any of these problems it would be appreciated.

jrhd437

Re: BIOS PROBLEM!!! (32 on 64 bit!)

Now it tells me that I am not running a genuine copy of windows... help? Anyone?

Aelin

had that problem... try uninstall Update for Windows 7 (KB971033) and restart.if nothing reinstall windows and DONT update them with KB971033

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A505-S6005 

After installing the BIOS update I realized it was for 32-bit systems.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 1.30 for Satellite A500/A505 (PSAT6U/PSAT9U)

The BIOS doesn't care about bitness. It's the decompression package that's 32-bit, which runs just fine on your computer. So there's no problem there.

Now it tells me that I am not running a genuine copy of windows...

Windows Activation Technologies: What You Need To Know

Aelin is probably correct. Try uninstalling the "feature." Go to View Installed Updates in Control Panel and uninstall Update to Microsoft Windows (KB971033).

My SD card reader has not worked in some time

Try reinstalling this.

Ricoh Card Reader for Windows 7 (32/64) 

upon signing in to the computer, it says a Toshiba service is not working

Let's come back to that one after you take card of the others.

-Jerry
jrhd437

OK, seems we had gotten rid of the OS problem by uninstalling the update - thanks!!

The SD reader still does not work after an install and restart. It does show up in the device manager just like before, but you can't use it. It doesn't say that it is disabled.

Also, I forgot to mention, "Intel RST service is not running." This is HDD related, correct?

I'm two weeks in to a class to become A+ certified, but I haven't gotten into OS yet, so your help is really appreciated. Thanks a million!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The SD reader still does not work after an install and restart. It does show up in the device manager just like before, but you can't use it. It doesn't say that it is disabled.

When you double-click it in Device Manager, what does it have for Device status?

I forgot to mention, "Intel RST service is not running."

Try reinstalling this driver.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Windows XP/7 (32/64) 

I'm two weeks in to a class to become A+ certified

Good luck!

-Jerry
jrhd437

Re: SD Card Reader Problem

OK, the re-install of the driver seemed to do the trick... it also is what I assume caused the problem to begin with seeing how it was fine until I started updating everything.

Computer seems A-OK except for the card reader which in the device manager has several "unavailable"s on it, like manufacturer and the like. On status it says, "the device is working properly." On the hardware part of the properties I have a drive E and a Ricoh SD Disk Device (both working properly BTW). I'm not sure if it should show both or not, so I figured I better mention that.

As for the A+ thing, I have quite a bit of security-type training behind me, but the realm of drivers and BIOS is very new to me. I understand the lingo, but not so much the practices. Thanks for wishing me well.

And thanks so much for all the help you have been, I really appreciate it.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..except for the card reader which in the device manager has several "unavailable"s on it, like manufacturer and the like. On status it says, "the device is working properly."

Can't hurt to uninstall that card reader (right-click, Uninstall) and reboot. What happens? 

upon signing in to the computer, it says a Toshiba service is not worki

Still? Which service?

-Jerry
jrhd437

Lol RST service is not running again...Quote

SD card drivers was uninstalled, restarted computer, it found the driver and downloaded it itself. It makes a sound when I insert a card, but still doesn't show up consistently on "Computer" and even when displayed if you double-click on it it says to insert a card.  - - which is absolutely no change from before.

FYI, I have tried four different SD cards ranging from 18MB to 8GB. No change.

Any hope for my computer?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

RST service is not running again...Quote

I can't see the Quote. Is there a message?

Does it keep running when you boot clean?

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 

I have tried four different SD cards ranging from 18MB to 8GB. No change.

That's beginning to sound like failing hardware.

The only way to establish whether the problem is due to software is to restore the hard disk to its original factory-new contents from Toshiba recovery media.

-Jerry
jrhd437

The quote was... an accident?

The SD reader may be hardware related after all these months of trying to fix it. I will try the clean boot. I guess this is probably as resolved as it can be short of a scrub.

One last question, I get Windows 7 Professional through an organization I am involved in, does that require a clean install?

Thanks guys! Now you can help others... I mean, after you answer my last question that is.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I get Windows 7 Professional through an organization I am involved in, does that require a clean install?

Actually, you've already got it. All you really need is the activation key for the upgrade. And it only takes a few minutes!

Windows Anytime Upgrade

I'm not sure how to go about this if you have a retail product key for the full version. Best to ask Microsoft.

Contact Microsoft

-Jerry
Frumpytomcat

Hi there, not sure if you have got your problem fixed yet or not but I just set up a Satellite p205-s7804 with the same card reader problem.

If you installed the windows update (KB971033) you will probabally not be able to simply uninstall it. I had to do a new install and put that update in the hidden list so not to install it again (this was on a different machine)

But as for the card reader i found a driver that supports many models on page 7 of the following link - this unit used the TI Card Reader driver.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=190932...

Hope this helps anyone that can use it, Peace!!!!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

A little help for those who are following this.

If you installed the windows update (KB971033) you will probabally not be able to simply uninstall it. I had to do a new install and put that update in the hidden list so not to install it again..

The update is this one.

Description of the update for Windows Activation Technologies

..as for the card reader i found a driver that supports many models ... - this unit used the TI Card Reader driver...

The driver in question is this one.

TI Card Reader Driver for Windows XP/Vista/7 (32/64)

-Jerry