Occasional Contributor
Bungie11

Automatic Driver Update Utility?

I have not seen one around but is there a utility by Toshiba that will inform you if there is an update for any of your drivers?   This just seems common sense to have one. One shouldnt have to check on the website just to see if there is an update.  I have tried programs like Driver Genius Pro and they work well on desktop computers, not so much on laptops as it seems it doesnt detect hardware accurately.

Occasional Contributor
JMack356

Re: Automatic Driver Update Utility?

[ Edited ]

Driver Genius is total garbage - don't waste your time.

I tried it three times in the last year and every time it would "claim" to have found newer drivers, only to download FAR OLDER ones that it said they were.

One recent example: Just four weeks ago I bought a new Toshiba laptop and thought I'd give the newest version of DG another go.  Immediately it found three drivers that were "out of date". One driver was for the built-in Atheros LAN card (Ethernet). (The version that shipped with the new Toshiba out of the box was v1.0.0.17.) Driver Genius claimed it "found" and was downloading v1.0.0.27, the filename even reflected this new version (ATHEROS_AR8131_drv1.0.0.27WHQL.zip). Guess what"? Once downloaded and installed, it actually installed an older version (v1.0.0.15) than was already previously installed from the factory.

Nice.

Stay away from Driver Genius.

Windows Update, believe it or not, is more reliable for driver updates, and FAR more honest.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Go to the Communicate link at the top of this page and click on the Sign Up For Updates link.  Now fill in the model number of the system or systems that you want to keep track of and you will recieve an e-mail whenever there is an update posted for that model.  At the end of any week where there is an update released you will recieve an e-mail listing any updated downloads since your last notification.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

halfdriven

I have tried that and it never populates the model number option, is there a trick to making it work

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

It had always worked just fine for me in the past, but when I tried it today it didn't.  I have no idea what the problem is, but you might want to send a message to Jim the administrator to let him know about it so he can have the IT guys look into it. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I found out that Toshiba is aware of the problem and are working on it.  Hopefully it should be fixed soon, but they didn't release any definitive time frame. 

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Two things I should have posted previously.  First is unless you are having a specific problem you really don't need to update anything, especially a bios. 

Second, all of the updates are arranged by date with the newest first so it's easy to tell if something new has been posted when you go to the download page.