matt123

A135 drivers

Hi,

OK, I've been having a nightmare the past week,

I purchased a 2nd hand laptop from a workmate, then gave it back and asked him to wipe the memory as I've no idea how, he did so, and re installed Windows XP.

Now i cant get online with it, I've been told i need to install the drivers to make it all work again, but cant find the link for these drivers, the UK site didnt have the model, been on the phone a few times with tech support, pointed out this is a USA model, but couldnt help either, and have pointed me here

So basically, i need the drivers for the Windows XP version

Satellite A135-S4666

Many thanks

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: A135 drivers

1. Go to the top of this page and click on the Product Support Link.
  2. Click on the BLUE text link that states "Show All Models"
  3. Enter the information for your specific model.

I just checked and it IS listed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

matt123

Yes it is, i already knew that,

...This comes up,

...And these are my options, my main problem is that i cant connect to internet the new using a ethernet cable, I'm rubbish with PC tech, ill admit that, which 'driver' do i need that'll make the laptop connect the net, Tosh support on the phone couldn't even help me

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

There are only a couple of Windows XP drivers for that system.  I didn''t take the time to check to see what drivers were there previously, only checked to see if the model was listed. 

Toshiba doesn't supply XP drivers for that system as it was shipped with Vista Basic.  If you want to run XP on it you'll need to determine what the Ethernet Network Card's chipset is and go to that company's website to see if they have an XP driver for it.  You can download this tool to assist you in determining what chipset the Network Card uses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

matt123

As mentioned above, I'm usless at techy stuff, and that link you've provided may as well be in a different lauguage, Download what to do what?!?

SIW is a standalone utility that does not require installation (Portable Freeware) - one less installed program on your PC as well the fact that you can run the program directly from an USB flash drive, from a floppy, from a network drive or from a domain login script.
  SIW can be distributed freely (ftp, archives, CD-ROMs ...).

W T F!?!? I genuinely have NO idea what that means

I'm using my desktop pc now, but all i want is my Toshiba laptop to have internet access, why isnt it simple?!?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

It isn't simple because you installed a NON support4ed OS on it.  By that I mean that TOSHIBA doesn't support XP on that system and doesn't provide drivers for it.  That system shipped with Windows Vista Basic pre-installed and Toshiba DOES supply all of the necessary Vista drivers for it.  Since I don't have the system in front of me I have no way of ascertaining exactly what chipset the network (and/or WiFi) card has so I can't point you directly to the drivers you need.  From what I can tell based on the drivers it lists for Vista the LAN is a realtek chipset and the WiFi is an Intel Atheros.  Beyond that I'm not sure what specific chipset or driver is nedded for XP  Running the SIW program that I linked to perviously would more than likely identify the chipset making it easier to find the correct driver.  If you aren't capable of doing so yourself then your best bet would be to take it back to the person who install XP on it and have THEM do it.  When they agreed to wipe the drive and install the operating system they should have installed ALL of the necessary drivers for that operating system. 

We can't help you unless you can provide information that you don't seem capable (or willing to) provide.  Please remember that this is NOT Toshiba Provided Technical Support.  This is user to user support and we don't have access to any more information than you do.

Regular Advisor
Defender

The overall concern here is that the factory installed OS was not re-installed-this is core of concern.  It can be corrected by calling Toshiba (800) 457-7777 and order Recovery Disc Set.  Also, the friend who loaded XP needs to give you the disc and key product code, as I believe the BIOS error is a prime reason that the disc utilized was in use for another machine.  Try this: www.driversguide.com for drivers needed. Lastly, why not have the friend assist you with achieving results.  Intel 802.11a/b/g/n, a/b/g, b/g PCIe Mini Card driver furnished to assist in locating needed XP driver. Less frustration gains success!