Tiff2

Toshiba External Hard Drive not recognized by computer. Please help!

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have an external hard drive and it will not show up in "My computer" when I plug it in. I have tried other USB drives and other computers. I am starting to think it is a hardware issue but I don't want to lose hope. The blue light is coming on when you plug it in but it doesn't blink and there is no noise whatsoever. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue so that I can recover the information on it? Thanks in advance for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

Additional information: I'm not sure how old this thing is but the model number is HDDR160E03X.

Peter

Re: Toshiba External Hard Drive not recognized by computer. Please help!

Did the other drives work on your computer?

Does the Toshiba drive work on other computers?

- Peter
Tiff2

Hello and thank you for responding!! No, I have tried other drives on different computers and it still does the same thing. Any ideas??? Thank you again!! :smileyhappy:

Peter

Try this without the hard drive connected.

Hold the Windows key and press 'r' to open the run box. Type "diskmgmt.msc" and press ENTER.

Disk Management shows drives connected to your computer. The top frame shows it organized by drive letter, and the bottom frame shows it by hardware. Now, connect the hard drive, then click Action -> Refresh.

Does it change at all? I'm curious if the Toshiba external drive shows up at that point. If so, what does it say? A screenshot would be helpful.

- Peter
deniscu

backup from Norton security suite was lost as drive was not recognized by the program. It was listed as G drive..

and I was able to access all the files on the drive. I had backup data on this drive for the last 45 days every day

using backup function on NortonSecuritySuite. Now I was using the usb 2.0 function on this drive because lapton

doesn't have usb 3.0.  I ended up with major errors...tried to get a software fixed to NortonSecuritySuite ...

that did not work. I uninstalled Norton. and reinstalled hope I get this canvio 1 TB to backup . However on 

Norton reinstalled. drive still not recognized by Norton for backup tasks. I will have to use another backup external 

storage device. Deniscu

ASF
ASF

[ Edited ]

Same problem: I can't see my Toshiba PH3100U-EXB (Gen 2) external hard drive when I plug it in. After awhile I get this error message (see attachment): USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. FOr assistance in solving this problem, click this message."

When I click it, I get a list of USB ports and devices, with Unknown Device in bold face. No real information there.

Yes, I ran Disk Management and the Toshiba did not show up when I plugged it in and hit Refresh.

Does it make a difference that the last time I used the external hard drive, we were in Windows XP and now we're in Windows 7?

Please help! It's not just the backing up I'm worried about...it's being able to retrieve files later!

Thanks!

virtuous1

[ Edited ]

I have a ton of files that I can not access. Please help...

Peter

virtuous1, can any other computer see your files? If not, it looks like the partition became corrupted on the drive. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way to save those files.

- Peter