ds12741
Accepted Solution

How Do I Delete Files & Folders From Toshiba External Drive?

I purchased the Toshiba External Hard Drive: HDWC120XK3J1

I messed up on backing up files from my computer, and ended up backing the entire contents of my C Drive - which I did NOT want to do.

All I wish to do is back up some individual folders and files from my computer's hard drive.

How do I get rid of all the files and folders which I now have backed up on the external drive, and start over, without corrupting everything?

I sincerly appreciate any help given.

Regards,

Peter

Re: How Do I Delete Files & Folders From Toshiba External Drive?

Can you open the hard drive in Explorer, take a screenshot of that window, and then post it here so I can see? You can do what you want by deleting certain files there, but I'd like to see exactly what files are listed so you don't delete the backup software itself by accident.

If you don't know how to take a screenshot, press the "Print Screen" button (sometimes labeled as "PRTSC" or something similar). Then open Paint and paste in the image. In your forum reply, click the button with the picture of the tree to upload a picture.

- Peter
ds12741

I hope this is the screen save you needed., Thank you for your help.
Peter

I don't see any picture attached unfortunately.

- Peter
ds12741

ds12741

[ Edited ]

RE: The missing attachment

Me, being dumber than a bucket of rocks, when it comes to computer stuff, isn't very conducive to trying to get help, is it. I am sorry I messed up on the first attempt to load the screen shot, I tried again, with a different browser, and I think I got it attached this time. It is attached, I think, to the post above this one.

Thanks,

Peter

Therre's no need to be sorry! I got it this time. I'm going to show the screenshot to the person here at Toshiba who deals with this accessory. He'll tell me what files you need to delete. Rest assured it'll be an easy process; I just want to make sure I know exactly what files to tell you to remove. I'll let you know soon!

- Peter
Peter

Hello again! You can simply delete these files and folders:

• !!CAUTION!!_DO_NOT_MODIFY_YOUR_BACKUP_FILES.txt
  • restore
  • My Files(Don-PC)
  • $RECYCLE.BIN

It should be good to go after that!

- Peter
ds12741

Thank you, Peter. I appreciate the help you gave me. I will now set about to delete the folders and files, (only the ones you indicated) and start the back-up process again.