How can I perform a clean startup of Windows 7 without my startup items to troubleshoot a problem?

0 Kudos
Started ‎05-31-2012 by
Modified ‎10-10-2013 by
(4,310 Views)

How can I perform a clean startup of Windows 7 without my startup items to troubleshoot a problem?

Question

Answer

For information on how to perform a clean startup in Windows 8, please view this article.

Microsoft makes it very easy to start Windows 7 without your startup items. This is known as a "clean startup."

To perform a clean startup, open the Start Menu, type "msconfig" in the search field, and press ENTER. In the "System Configuration Utility" window, choose "Selective Startup" on the "General" tab. Uncheck "Load Startup Items." Now click the "Services" tab. Check "Hide All Microsoft Services." Click "Disable All," and press "OK."

If your problem goes away, you'll know that one of those startup applications or services was causing the problem. You'll then need to repeatedly re-enable or disable half of the remaining items to narrow down the cause of the issue.

For more information, please see the article by Microsoft.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or p...