HouseCat
Accepted Solution

Toshiba Canvio 1.5 TB External Hard Drive Issues

Hey everyone,

I'm from the Philippines and a friend of mine from America surprised me with a portable external hard drive for my birthday. 1.5 TB, "Casio 3.0 Plus." It doesn't need to be plugged into a power outlet to function. The cord is about 1 & 1/2 feet long, one end being USB. I don't know what the other end is called, but I tried Googling it and I think it may be esata? Not sure. This is the hard drive: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Portable-Drive-HDTC615XK3B1/dp/B00847V9Z6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qi...

Anyway, I got it from him today and it was working fine for a while. I installed the Canvio software(to try it out), tested to see if I can copy files into the hard drive, then unplugged it properly. The next day, when I plugged it in, it just went full retard.

The hard drive started freezing my windows explorer whenever I tried to navigate to its directory. Clicking sounds were coming from the hard drive. The hard drive was strangely renamed from "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive" or something like that, to "Local Disk (G:smileyhappy:." Whenever I try to right click it, it freezes the explorer(and sometimes the whole computer) and gives me a message saying I must reformat the **bleep** thing. So I tried doing so. File system NTFS, Default allocation size(tried restoring the device to its default settings), no quick format even, but it just froze again. Up until now it's frozen(it's been 30~45 minutes) and kept it that way hoping that it would become restored somehow, but to no avail.

I tried uninstalling it from Device manager, restarting the computer, then plugging it back in again. Didn't work though. :smileysad:

Can anyone help me out here please? This thing's driving me crazy. I would REALLY appreciate it, since my laptop could die off any time now, and I have several important files I absolutely need to back up.

Thank you, and have a nice day. :smileyhappy:

Peter

Re: Toshiba Canvio 1.5 TB External Hard Drive Issues

That's a micro USB 3.0 cable.

Are you using the hard drive with a USB 3.0 port?

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
romellon1

Hello I´ve got a new 1.5 canvio portable hard drive. I´m delighted but the second time i plug it the icon was missing. I´ve tried with the right mouse clicking on properties, personalize, assign image, apply, etc.,  but it does nothing. How can i reinstall the icon for the drive? Thanks in advance 

Peter

Which icon? I'm not sure I understand.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
romellon1

Re: Toshiba Canvas 1.5 TB External Hard Drive Issues

thanks for your response. I´m referring to the tiny little canvio photo or image that is associated to the hard drive.

Peter

Ah, I understand. What operating system are you using?

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
romellon1

Thanks again for your response. Windows 7 Home Basic.

Peter

In the Start Menu's search field, type "diskmgmt.msc" and press ENTER. This should show you the various physical drives you have attached to your computer and what drive letters they use. Is there one that doesn't have a drive letter? Feel free to post a screenshot if you'd like.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
romellon1

Here it is. I hope this helps. 

Peter

According to that, it is already assigned to D:, which means it should show up in "Computer" as a drive. You still don't see it there?

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
romellon1

Thanks again for your response Peter. I see it under my computer as a drive. That´s not the problem. Sorry, probably I didn´t make myself clear. The drive works perfect. My problem is that I don´t see the drive with its photo on it.

Peter

Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood.

Ensure that you can see hidden files.

Open the drive. Is there a file called autorun.inf?

Try copying that file somewhere as a backup, then delete it from the external drive.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
romellon1

Yey! it´s working. It would be better if the drive had the canvio photo on it. But at least it´s no longer without any photo at all. Thanks for all your help.

Occasional Contributor
romellon1

In case anyone it´s interested I restore the autorun.inf into the drive and the problem was that I put all the toshiba software into one folder to be more organized. As soon as I place it back again outside the folder (in the root of the hard drive). It grab the canvio image.

Peter

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing your finding.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
romellon1

Thank you!

Sandeep007

Toshiba Canvas 1.5 TB External Hard Drive Issues

My Hard drive is not detecting, the LED is not blinking or lightning

JavierGDL

Hello,

I just purchased a canvio 1.5 Tb external hard drive but when I try to install it at my Windows 7 computer I get the attached screen error over and over when choosing a destination location, I tried changing drives/folders locations but I get the same error.

Your assistance with this issue will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

NTIError.jpg

Appears you are trying to install the backup program into a folder that is not on the drive containing Windows.

-Jerry
JavierGDL

No matter which drive I choose I get the same error message, my 1st attempt was the default C:/Program Files folder but is not installing at any.

Any suggestions other than return the device to BB and get my mone back?