Dat1Dude2013
Accepted Solution

Question about Canvio vs.. Canvio Basics

I have a Canvio 500 GB portable drive and I need to send it back for replacement. I have completed the process and just need to get it shipped back. I chose the option of receiving a toshibadirect coupon.

Now onto my question. I noticed that the Canvio 500GB (HDTC605XK3A1) and the Canvio Basics 750GB (HDTB107XK3AA) are the exact same price. What is the difference between the two STYLES (I can see the obvious that one has 250 more GB of preformatted space)? I mean if the difference is nominal I can feasibly get more storage space for the same price? I really don't care about write speeds because I do not write large chunks at one time (at most 1.5GB each transfer but more often it's less than 100MB at a time). I used my defective drive for media storage for my HTPC set up. I have a laptop (non Toshiba) that the drive is physically connected to and in turn it feeds media to my Raspberry Pi running XBMC 12 (stable). The old drive was accessed via WI-Fi for maybe one movie a day or maybe 5-6 hours of mp3 audio (320Kbps). It worked fine for a while then developed the dreaded "click of death"! After backing up the drive and removing all data (Gutmann 35 pass via CCleaner) it will be returned within the coming week.

So after my extremely long winded post! Sorry !:robotlol: I would like to know if I would be fine using the Basics version with added space or the "standard?" version with same space? Pros/Cons? Thank you in advance if you made it this far!!! Again used mainly for audio over WI-Fi to Pi and some mp4/avi/mkv movie?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Question about Canvio vs.. Canvio Basics

500GB Canvio 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (Black)

750GB Canvio Basics 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (Black)

Portable USB Hard Drives HDTC605XK3A1

Portable USB Hard Drives HDTB107XK3AA

Judging from the descriptions, the first one is presented as a backup solution. Indeed, it appears from the second pair of links, that the backup software accompanying each is different. (I always ignore that anyway in favor of my own and repartition/reformat the new drive first thing.)

Just another pricing discrepancy in my book.

-Jerry
Dat1Dude2013

[ Edited ]

I always reformat immediately upon unboxing as well. So basically get the 750 since it is the same price? Thanks!

**Edit** I see know what you mean! The versions are essentially the same with only caveat being software.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Agreed.

-Jerry