Fumanchu808

My Canvio 500gb external hard drive not recognized on my Toshiba Laptop

Seems a bit ironic that it won't work on my Toshiba laptop (runnng both windows 7 64 bit and 32 bit) but the drivers fail when attempting to install.

Drive works fine on my old custom desktop running Vista-32 bit.

To make matters worse the Model number of my Canvio (HDTC605XK3A1) isn't showing up under product support.

Please help. This is rather unforgivable.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: My Canvio 500gb external hard drive not recognized on my Toshiba Laptop

It's here (under storage products).

What do you see in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)? Click Rescan Disks on the Action menu.

-Jerry
Dcarter0001

The Canvio 500g or 1TB is not listed under Toshiba product support. The provided software, (NTI Backup Now EZ) is not compatable with Windows 7. I'm taking mine back for a refund tomorrow.

dgbrad

The problem is that, the drive needs more power than the laptop wants to supply. I have successfully installed this drive on such a laptop with the use of a USB Hub (with an external power supply). The power supply from the hub can supply the extra power needed.

The drive I tested did not come with a pig-tail cable so I was not able to test that option, theoretically it should work though.

RussellZiskey

Jerry,

I am experiencing the same problems with the Canvio 500GB drive I purchased today, and have read many posts about these poorly supported devices. After reading your reply I felt obligated to point out just how unhelpful it was. The issue is that it is not reconised as a USB device correctly in Windows, which is required BEFORE it would ever show up in disk management. Pretty obvious really. Second, your link was to a product specification and purchase page and has nothing close to support information. Again, pretty obvious. It seems like you did not understand the original poster's post and gave generic, unrelated information in your reply. 

This Toshiba Canvio product has NO support page online from Toshiba. It is obviously riddled with problems of power usage and Windows 7 incompatibility to which Toshiba have offerred no solution either. How I wish I had read the reviews earlier instead of trusting the Toshiba brand as I have been able to in the past.

Technical forums are already full of enough useless misdirection. We don't need any more.

rboitt1

Mine isnt either...........no support...a big no no Toshiba.

If I cant get my computer to recognize this new 500GB drive in a few hours its going back for a refund.

Using win XP not recognized at all...and its a Mid Tower system.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

rboitt1 wrote:..

If the external drive does not use external power, try a power hub.

-Jerry
kylemunnery

i bought my 500gb canvio ii today got home and tried to use it on my Microsoft Surface pro 3 and got nothing.  After looking here and reading that i need a "Special usb cable" or a usb hub with wall power, slightly irritates me as this device is supposed to be PORTABLE meaning no wall hugging activities, i will be returnug this unportable harddrive asap