DenverDude
Accepted Solution

How to manually uninstall or fool the dynadock U3.0 drivers

I had to restore my computer from a backup image.  After the restore, my dynadock U3.0 was no longer recognized, and even the icons in 'Programs and Features' did not look normal.

I thought to myself, "No problem...I will simply uninstall and re-install the drivers..."

I tried to gracefully uninstall the drivers via 'Programs and Features', but the two line items that were related to the dynadock would not uninstall.  They both claimed they could not find the appropriate MSI package for their respective installs.

As a result, I used the third-party utility 'Revo Uninstaller Pro' to force the uninstall.  Revo seemed to indicate success, and the two line items related to the dynadock are no longer seen in Programs and Features.

HOWEVER, when I now attempt to re-install the dynadock drivers, I get the message:

"DisplayLink Software for TOSHIBA USB Display Drivers is already up to date."

So I'm looking for guidance on what to hack to fool the dynadock installation program into thinking it needs to perform a fresh installation.

I was really happy with the functionality and performance of the dynadock U3.0, but right now it is a brick.

Peter

Re: How to manually uninstall or fool the dynadock U3.0 drivers

If you can't solve your issue and no one in the community can help, contact support to speak with a tech support agent at (888) 592-0944.

- Peter
DenverDude

Re: How to manually uninstall or fool the dynadock U3.0 drivers (resolved)

Once I did the following two things (after using Revo Uninstaller Pro), I was able to re-install the dynadock drivers...

1)  I deleted the 'DisplayLink Core Software' directory under Program Files.  Revo Uninstaller Pro inexplicably left this directory behind with nothing in it.

2)  I deleted the 'DisplayLink' registry key from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE.  Revo Uninstaller Pro also inexplicably left this registry key behind...probably being conservative.

In case it helps, I also determined the following reference information during this effort...

-  The installation CD that came with my dynadock U3.0 is labeled as 'CD Version 1.0', which also includes/shows 'DisplayLink Software Ver. 6.1' on the CD.

-  The CD installation results in two line items being seen in Programs and Features:  'DisplayLink Core Software' and 'TOSHIBA USB Display Drivers' (both are version 6.1.35912.0).

-  As of this writing, after downloading and installing the latest driver update, the 'DisplayLink Core Software' line item now shows a version of 6.3.40660.0.  The 'TOSHIBA USB Display Drivers' line item was not updated and remains at version 6.1.35912.0.

-  At least for me, the downloaded driver update threw the same error/exception twice:  "Cleaner Application has stopped working".  Both times I simply selected 'Close the program'.  The installation seemed to continue and complete successfully.  (ATTN Product Manager:  if you happen to read this, no Scooby snack for the developer that coded this install.)

Peter

Re: How to manually uninstall or fool the dynadock U3.0 drivers (resolved)

Thanks for the detailed explanation, DenverDude. I'm sure this will help people in the future!

- Peter
DenverDude

Re: Cleaner (complete uninstall utility) from DisplayLink

I figured out why my dynadock installation was corrupted in the first place.  The disk imaging software that I use did some incorrect things with the Windows registry *after* restoring a backup image to my hard drive.  The registry manipulation adversely affected several things, including the dynadock drivers and programs (and the ability to uninstall them).  I addressed the fundamental problem that led to this misbehavior and executed another image restore to my hard drive.  My dynadock and everything else worked perfectly after this restore.

Even though my issue was rare, I thought I would pass on knowledge of the following cleaner/uninstallation utility that I found at the DisplayLink website.  It worked perfectly during my diagnostics...

http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=297

The TOSHIBA dynadock U3.0 utilizes a chipset/technology from DisplayLink (i.e., it is OEM'ed to TOSHIBA from DisplayLink).  This software and hardware technology is what allows the dynadock to receive the video stream via USB from the host computer.  Vendors--in this case TOSHIBA--build the rest of their functionality on top of the 'DisplayLink Core Software'.  As a result, the cleaner utility from DisplayLink wipes out all trace of the entire dynadock installation.

Peter

That's really great information. If you don't mind me asking, what disk imaging software were you using?

- Peter
DenverDude

I use 'ShadowProtect Desktop' by StorageCraft.  I use it to image my hard drive nightly, and I have it configured to automatically maintain a rolling 3 weeks worth of images.

It was my fault (i.e., end user error) that the registry was corrupted upon restore...  I have whole-drive encryption implemented with TrueCrypt.  To accommodate this, TrueCrypt must install its own bootloader.  Because of the custom bootloader, additional steps must be taken during the restore of a bootable hard drive partition.  I slightly misunderstood the process, so I essentially caused the registry corruption.

In the end, my incident was not a big deal because I was able to simply re-execute the restore process...correctly and successfully with zero data loss!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good for you. We image nightly with ShadowProtect, but retain only ten generations.

Being belt-and-suspender people, we also create Acronis images.

The night is long and there's nothing else for the machines to do.

-Jerry
Peter

Thanks for the information. Computing would be much less of a headache in general if everyone backed up regularly!

- Peter