Occasional Contributor
katie1587

External USB 3.0 Hard Drive not showing up

Bought this Toshiba automatic backup portable hard drive a few months ago. Backed up all of my laptops important file to it. Worked fine. Well, now I need to send my laptop in for some warranty stuff, so I decided to update my external hard drive with any new files I had acquired since the old backup. (pictures, school documents, etc) My laptop froze and I had to reboot. Now when I connect the hard drive to the laptop, nothing happens. It doesn't show up under my computer. It is powered adequately through a 3.0 USB. I have tried multiple trouble shooting topics. I have reinstalled drivers. I don't want to lose my files. I can't open a folder to view them. I have tried "renaming" the drive. None of these things have worked. I also downloaded a program to tell me if the device is even functioning. It passed meaning its capable of booting into windows. I'm at a loss of what to do next. Please help. Thanks!

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Re: External USB 3.0 Hard Drive not showing up

[ Edited ]

Hi ! Can you see it in disk management and does it have a drive letter assigned to it??

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/192211en

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Occasional Contributor
katie1587

No I can't see it in disk management. No it doesn't have a letter assigned.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi If you can't see it in disk management, how do you know it doesn't have a drive letter asigned??

Have you always removed it safely? If not, there's a good chance you have fried it. You may still beable to retrieve the data if that is the case, but it is very exspensive. Can you see it in device manager?? Have you tried different USB ports??

"No I can't see it in disk management. No it doesn't have a letter assigned."

A drive most have a letter asigned to it or windows won't see it.

Dokie!!

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Occasional Contributor
katie1587

[ Edited ]

Yes, I did remove it safely. I will include a screen shot.. I can see it in device management. What can I do next to retrieve the files or make it show up? I have tried all USB ports on my laptop. None of them are successful. Thanks :-)

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi! The only drive I see in your screen shots is the drive that has your operating system on it; that is usually called C Drive. From my experience with external drives, windows recognizes the external drive and assigns a number to it. Did the external drive come with a CD? I have been working with another member that has the problem that his PC does not recognize his external HD's So far we haven't been able to solve his problem. The only suggestion I have at this time is to try the drive on another computer and see if it will recognize it. That will eliminate your PC as being the cause. I hope the drive is ok because recovering the data can be very expensive if the drive is bad. Rather than repeating every thing that we have tried on another thread, I will find it and post the link here later. I'm hoping your drive will be recognized on a different PC:smileywink:

Dokie!!

Occasional Contributor
katie1587

Unfortunately, no the drive didn't come with a CD. It used to show up as Toshiba External hard drive on a drive with a letter. Now, it doesn't show up at all. I have tried plugging it into a different laptop, and it doesn't show up there either. Doesn't make the "connection noise," no pop up window, doesn't show in my computer. :-( I had my computer friend remote access my laptop and tinker around. He is convinced it's something with the hard drive and not the laptop. Thanks! I will look for the link.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi That's not the news I wanted to hear:smileymad: Here's the link. Don't think it will help you, but here it is as promised.

Dokie!

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Computer-Troubleshooting/USB-device-not-recognized/td-p/456955

Seatools has a program that is supposed to recover data from a not opertive HD. It's 99$. How important is the data to you??? I know nothing about this program. I just know that seatools is trusted by millions of PC users:smileywink:

http://www.seagate.com/services-software/data-recovery-services/consumers/file-recovery-software/

PS It says it offers a free trial ????

Occasional Contributor
katie1587

Interesting. I download the Seatools free trial last night. Scanned my external drive. It says it passed? not sure what that means though. Just download another program that is supposed to recover deleted files called Recuva. It is running now trying to recover files. I plugged in my Iphone on a whim to the two left USB ports. It came up. When I plug it in on the right, (next to my external drive), it does not show up. Interesting?

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

I think this is a different program.

http://www.seagate.com/services-software/data-recovery-services/consumers/file-recovery-software/

I'm not talking about seatools for windows.

PS Any way Good Luck:smileywink:

Dokie!!

Occasional Contributor
katie1587

UPDATE I tried plugging the external into the left side again. I got a new error message

"USB has malfuctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hubport" 

Is this relevant? I mean it hasn't shown up on any port and now I have an error message lol Can someone explain this? 

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi! What it means to me is that there isn't enogh current to support the device. This could also be a corrsion problem if that port supported that device before. I'm an old USAF aircraft electrician and I saw that problem a lot while stationed in Okinawa. a lot of humidity there. Even though you have voltage, you might not have enough current to power the device. You can also uninstall that that Hub and restart and let windows reinstall it.:smileywink:

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

"Just download another program that is supposed to recover deleted files called Recuva. It is running now trying to recover files."

Hi I have heard about that program,but never used it. Not sure what all it recovers but think it just recovers deleted files. Not sure about that though. I would like to know how Recuva worked for you:smileywink:

Dokie!

Occasional Contributor
katie1587

Hello! yeah it basically finds everything you have ever deleted on the computer.Example, clicked recover pictures. Recovered 95,000 pictures from temporary internet files, to stuff from facebook, webpages, pinterest, etc. Unfortunately didn't recover anything from the hard drive of my external because it's not showing up on the computer. Pretty sure it's the hard drive now. I'm just gonna buy a new one and let someone look at it later. Program is neat if you wanna recover EVERYTHING lol

Spoiler
:smileyhappy:
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hey katie! Thanks for the feed back. Come back and see us any time. Have you checked out the link I gave you for seatools??

Just a thought!http://www.seagate.com/services-software/data-recovery-services/consumers/file-recovery-software/

Regular Advisor
bmurray

I'd say your back hard drive is dying/dead.  you may be able to recover the data from the drive via a computer shop or internet service if that is important.  Hopefully the drive is still under warranty.  External hard drives are certainly failable as are all drives, but just less so as they typically do not experience the same amount of duty that your internal hard drive does. 

While your waiting to sort out the external hard drive you could back your computer up by making an image using one of many free-ware such as Acronis True Image.  You caould then save this to a cd/dvd or flash drive while sorting out your laptop.  Good luck

L305-S5955, 4GB RAM, 250GB 10K rpm HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ClauGodo

Hi,

I had the same exact problam than you and finally we get it to work, using just a different cable, the problem was the original thin cable, We use  instead the one we have in our scanner (coincide the same USB end's shapes and it is thicker than he other one) and voila! it is workig properly!!!!!!!

Hopefully it is still time for you to try this option!!!!

Good luck,

Clau

ManuelMezaJr

I had the same problem but I had tried to use my hdd for a ISO installation to windows 7 via using cmd and putting files on the hdd but it didn't work so I went and deleted everything and afterward my hdd showed up as a cd drive and i just went to disk manger and delete the partition and made a new one using the same letter drive and now im formatting for my hdd and it shows up as a local disk which is a win for me

stashagarcia101

this exact same thing just happened to me last night Katie. i did all you did, i.e. uninstalling it, reloading drivers etc. it still will not show up under computer drives or devices . since i bought two of the same model 1T external hard drives at the same time i opened the other one and scavanged the cord to see if maybe that was a problem. no such luck it still doesnt show up. i also plugged it into my other laptop and it will not show up  there either.

crazy thing is that it does show up when i search for it in the computer control panel in the DEVICE MANAGER but has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it next to the icon. when i open it from there i get the following error message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

did you ever find a way to get yours working? if so, what did you do? i downloaded everything off of my old computer onto it right before it crashed for the last time and now i have no longer have access to any of my documents, medical research or pictures i use for my presentations. i am doing my best not to freak out and am praying that someone that had this happen has found a solution. i have a presentation tomorrow night and now have no way to access the presentation. anything you (or anyone else in this forum) can do to help would me greatly appreciated and i thank you in advance for your help

akncmulch

Hello everybody, I have a slight issue that is about the same as you guys.  I have an external hard drive that is having an issue coming up on a toshiba laptop (about a year old).  If and when it does come up, it happens when ever it wants to and goes away shortly after.  I have tried my other toshiba laptop (about 6 months old) and it works perfectly.  I can't find any differences in the programs or in the computer as far as settings between the two computers.  I have also tried to swap cables and although it did immediately show up, it shortly went away.  I thought it may have been the drivers but as it does come up from time to time I dont believe that it could be that.  It doesnt come up on the driver manager screen unless it happens to be working at that moment.  Hopefully somebody can help out, im definitely out of ideas.  Thanks