Occasional Contributor
alphadog

Dynadock u3.0 stops working after computer power cycle or removal

I posted this in the Consumer Electronics section by mistake....

I bought hte dynadock soon after a bought my ultrabook and it worked great for many months - perfectly. But for the last 3 months i have had the following problem:

If I disconnect the dynadock from my computer, or reboot my computer while the dynadock is connected, then if i reconnect it is not recognized - any USB peripherals are not see, nor is ethernet or extended monitor.

However, if i power cycle the Dynadock (connected to laptop or not) it fixes the problem. So I can pull the power cord on the dynadock and re-insert when I undock the laptop or when i redock and then all works.

This indicates to me, that it it is not a driver issue or a computer issue, but something is getting "stuck" inside the Dynadock. I have updated to even the latest Beta drivers and it didn't fix the issue.

Any suggestions?

Occasional Contributor
alphadog

Re: Dynadock u3.0 stops working after computer power cycle or removal

Hmm... no suggestions from the Toshiba staff.... looks like i need to return the unit for replacement?

Peter

Sorry for not responding earlier. I do agree with your assessment, however. It sounds like you've already tried what you can with the drivers.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
alphadog

Thanks Peter,

I got it narrowed down but not fixed. I got a replacement, problem persists. Removed and reinstalled Dynadock drivers, then went for USB drivers. Still no luck. But I know a lot more and the Dynadock is partially to blame:

Unplugging the laptop and rebooting the laptop still requires me to reboot dynadock. But using a USB 2.0 port on laptop does not. So the problem is USB 3.0 specific.... this made me wonder what devices were plugged into the Dynadock. It turns out that the Seagate GoFlex external HDD is USB 3.0. Unplugging it or moving it to USB 2.0 solves all my problems.

But;

The Dynadock should still not lock up. I posted on the Seagate forums, and even though their product is the culprit, the Dynadock should recognize that the host device is disconnected and reset the bus. For some reason it is not doing this when the GoFlex is conected. Maybe Seagate is doing something wrong, but I would say that the Dyndock is too. If the computer is disconnected, that should signal the dynadock to reset connections. When i reconnect, the external monitor will turn on with a picture of the mouse pointer - the real mouse pointer is on the laptop, and even though the laptop knows that the desktop is extended, I can't move anything onto the screen. Nothing else attached works either (keyboard, CD Rom, etc).But power cycleing the Dyndock fixes it.

I used to do QA for FibreChannel and SCSI, i know those protocols well, but not USB so much. Maybe it is the sleep power function, not sure, but I would like to somehow get your engineering team to look at this combo - now that USB 3.0 is popular, I bet others are having the same issue, and don't realize it.

Now I have to ship back a Dynadock and my problem is not resolved. How do I get a firmware update? Is this product still produced? There have been no updates since windows 8 beta in July.

Thanks!

Peter

[ Edited ]

Keep in mind you can get the DisplayLink driver directly from DisplayLink (earlier than it's posted on the support site here).

DisplayLink: Windows Software

I'll notify someone about the issue, but I can't guarantee I'll have a solution.

Edit: With what computer are you using it? I just want to have all the information they might need.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
alphadog

Anything you can pass along is appreciated.

BTW, I have updated the drivers directly from the Display link site. My computer is a Dell XPS 13" Ultrabook. The dynadock works great too - as long as i keep the GoFlex in a USB 2.0 port.

I have verified that the Seagate drive in a 3.0 port is the source of my problem. Shutting down the computer, unplugging it from the dynadock and then powering it up and reconnecting will not solve the problem - the dynadock must be power cycled. Even disconnecting the Seagate drive from a USB 3.0 port will not bring the dynadock back.

I have also discovered that if i move enough things around different USB ports (without power cycleing the dynadock) it can get into a weird state - it will detect a printer with no driver, and the USB 3.0 ports will start to run at USB 2.0 speed. I am not to worried about any of this as it is not a realistic use case.

Attached to the Dynadock is USB 2.0 DVD drive, USB 2.0 Printer (HP older inkjet), keyboard, and seagate drive - all are connected in the back ports. For now I am using the seagate drive at USB 2.0 speed so i can undock and redock without having to reboot the dynadock.

And now that i think back, my problems started when I attached the USB 3.0 goflex drive - everything else has been attached for 6 months or more.

igruberger

I´m experiencing the same with my Dynadock... I purchased it together with my Lenovo Ideapad Yoga and everything started ok. Last week, without any advice, it stop working and now It can´t be plugged into USB 3.0 port. Moreover, all USB ports located in both Dynadock front and rear stop working (USB green light doesn´t turn on) from time to time.

Any suggestions?

vonderose

I very much want to revive this thread. Moreover, I really would appreciate if anyone from Toshiba could comment on the actual state of their work on this delicate problem.

I have to admit that I am quite disillusioned and dissatisfied with my Dynadock, since I had to go through a lot of trouble, not unlike the other contributors here. In my case, the trigger were two Western Digital HDDs with USB 3.0 support. At first, they tended just to disappear. Then, all of a sudden, my LAN connection got interrupted, and finally there was no sound. Yet the fix was always the same: unplug the Dynadock, power as well as USB, and then replug it.

You might imagine that I was quite at loss, at the very beginning and for some time to come, especially when you take into account the variety of the problems I encountered and the fact that I had just got a new computer, a Thinkpad Helix, and a new OS, Windows 8. But all in all, the Dynadock was the worst trouble-maker of all. Unfortunately, and this is said with hindsight, I did discover the conclusions and the advice in this thread very late in the process and only after I had already found the culprit and discovered a way of getting the dynadock to work, though in a somewhat restricted manner. Who would have thought that it was necessary to unpower the Dynadock to get the sound back on your laptop or to reconnect with your LAN? Or that it was unreasonable to use a USB 3.0 device on either of the four USB 3.0 ports?

In light of what I have just said it might not shock anyone if I urge with the utmost vigour that Toshiba act. Those who are concerned are surely numerous, and they should be informed. The least you can do is to notify those interested about your endeavours to find a remedy for the predicament. I also think that this problem should be talked about in the Dynadock troubleshooting guide. It it is now known for over half a year. A long time, indeed.

halima

I have exactly the same BIG problems as yours, with a Toshiba Portege Z930  !

it is better with the last dispaylink software, still, no internet connection possible, and smetimes, the dynadock is not recognized (I have done everything possible for months now... , disabling savaing power on USB hosts, etc.)

I think Toshiba should take this BIG problem more seriously

I need the docking displayfor to work, and it never worked  !!! (I baught Dynoadock and Z930 in november 2012 .... it really never worked , should I recommand to poeple not to buy these products ???)

HS.

lahma

I'm having these same issues as well. I also have a Seagate hard drive and I am running Windows 8.1. All of my USB ports are 3.0 on my Asus UX32VD laptop. Its kind of disturbing that no one from Toshiba has even responded to this thread. When I bought the Dynadock u3.0, it was the only option out there, but now its not. Why not help us Toshiba instead of lose our business?

Peter

This is a peer-support forum. Support agents do not use this forum.

Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

How do I reinstall Dynadock DisplayLink software if it won't uninstall or reinstall?

If it still malfunctions, you may want to make a warranty claim.

- Peter
dynadock_user

A big thank you for the community and the user giving their explanation in this thread which helped me after hours of tries and headache... I have the same problems but now I can at least have my screens working fine with my dynadock when I don't connect anything to USB 3.0 ports. To me the solution to fix this problem is to buy a usb hub that you connect to your computer and to use the dynadock just as a "screens manager". But then you loose the point of having a docking station that allows you to take your laptop quickly away from all cables. 

To conclude, I have to say that I'm very dissapointed that this is still an open problem considering the date it was raised first and the level of detailled information given by the community.

lahma

dynadock_user,

I am also fed up with these problems... Obviously Toshiba has been aware of these issues for some time now, and still nothing... I can't even nail down a particular pattern with my dynadock. Sometimes USB 2 only works. Sometimes USB 3 only works. Sometimes they both work. The ethernet port almost NEVER works any more... If I do a reboot and power cycle the dynadock, sometimes it fixes some of the issues temporarily, but they always return. The most common issue I guess would be ethernet and new usb devices not functioning. The USB devices I had plugged into it when I power cycled it work find, but hours later when I try to plug in a thumb drive or something, Windows will say the "Device is not recognized." I have definitely determined (at least for me) that my Seagate USB 3.0 portable hard drive is not the primary cause of the issue, because all the problems occur with or without it plugged in.

lahma

Oh, and I've tried just about every combination of installing the HUB/displaylink/audio drivers from Windows update and Toshiba.com .