jimbo913

bdx2200

I recently returned my 2500 and got the bdx2200. As soon as I turned on the unit, it prompted me to download a firmware update. Did that. So the BD player handled the Toy Story 3 blu ray fine, which my 2500 didn't.  I thought that I was going to be fine. However, I have had other issues. On the first night, I was playing around with the features and went to Netflix. When exiting out of Netflix, the player crashed and seemed to turn off even though there was a stuck image on the screen. The buttons became unresponsive and I had to unplug it and replug it several times before it turned back on. Of the last 4 times I have turned it on, 3 times the picture was black even though you could hear the audio. Unplugging it seems to help that, but you have to have it already set to the input and it can't load a Blu Ray. You basically have to let it just go to the menu.

I'm pretty irritated by this. I don't understand why Toshiba can't put out a player that just works. I know the tricks and can get it to run, but my wife and child are having trouble. When my daughter (2 years) wants to watch Elmo, and my wife is trying to get it to work while she starts crying, it is frustrating. Toshiba should be ashamed of their entries. This is round 3 and they can't get it right. Absolute crap really. I would think Toshiba would find a new Chinese (as indicated on the sticker) shelf to shop from when putting their logo on the player. I have been a Toshiba loyalist for about 15 years, but am afraid this might be my last Toshiba purchase. Since they lost the format war, it seems like they simply don't care.

Occasional Contributor
StreamHard

Re: bdx2200

I'm done with Toshiba! Before the firmware I could unplug the unit and at least watch my streaming. Since the firmware all I see is a cycling blue light and most of the time I can't turn it on no matter what I try! I finally called support and was told they would downgrade me to the BDX2200. I'm sorry but the only other close model they have is the BDX2700 that has 7.1 analog out. I was told they pretty much gave up on the privious model but this one doesn't look any better. Can you please verify the availability of vudu|apps (it has a bunch of channels) on that model and not just movie streaming?
jimbo913

I can confirm that it does have Vudu apps.  It isn't the default screen, and you have to hit one of the menu buttons. It also still has Blockbuster (even though it isn't listed), CinemaNow, and Youtube (in addition to the ones from the previous model).  Youtube is a bit weird though as it doesn't allow you to log in to watch your favorites (so for my daughter, Sesame Steet vids) and you have to search each time.

I got home and unplugged it, and it seems to be working again.  I can't seem to recreate the problem, so I'm betting it has to do with being turned off for awhile.  Frustrating.

pjlindsey

I purchased a BDX2200KU from Best Buy on 3/25, late afternoon. Got it hooked up, and it wanted to do a formware update, which proceeded to fail 3 times (Internal error, code 0300). Called Toshiba cust service 3/26 am, was told that the problem was probably on their end, and to try updating the firmware again on Monday, 3/28.

3/28: firmware update fails again. Call Toshiba c/s, rep suggests plugging the player for a minute then repowering ti and trying again. Did so, no effect. Called Toshiba c/s, rep this time stays on the line while I try to update firmware yet again. Fail again, but this time with code 3000. Rep says that unit must be sent to a service center: I tell her that it's going back to Best Buy.

Got my money back, but what a waste of time.

jimbo913

So the same thing happened this morning.  Turned on the unit, and no picture.  Unplugged it and hit power, and nothing.  Tried 4-5 more times and it wouldn't come on.  Went to the bathroom and came back.  By the time I came back, it had turned on (which was good because I had a blu ray in it and was afraid I woudn't be able to get it out).  This is so infuriating.  I can't believe I have bought two straight different model Toshiba players, both of which are barely functioning.  Do they not test these?  Do they not care that they keep sending out broken players? A low cost option isn't really an option when the d**n thing doesn't work.  It is a bit of a sad day for me.  After all this time being a loyalist, I am now ready to admit that Toshiba isn't what it used to be.  After 4 Toshiba TVs (the last of which was also a disappointment), 4 DVD players, an HD DVD player and two Blu Ray players, I am ready to find a new  brand to support.  I could (barely) understand one faulty model, but to have every player they have made be faulty is unacceptable.  Whoever is responsible for these things should be looking for a new job.  I bet that Toshiba has spent a fortune dealing with these crappy players.

jimbo913

So I still have this thing.  It still is a huge stinker.  Most of the time it will spit out Blu Rays saying they are invalid.  About 10 minutes of turning it off and on, ejecting and closing, pulling the plug, I can generally get it going.  If I decide to switch blu rays (like disc 1 to disc 2), forget about it.  Other than my new phone, it is probably the buggiest piece of crap I have ever owned.  I know I won't be looking at Toshiba Blu Ray players ever again.  I spend more time trying to get it to work than watching anything. 

tiberiuscan

My wife and I have always trusted Toshiba products (especially their TVs. Our previous model Toshiba Blu Ray Player has always performed flawlessly but the BDX2200 keeps giving us "Invalid Disk' errors playing some (not all) Blu-Ray discs. I found that it is not necessary to unplug and replug the unit to fix this issue. I put a DVD disk (doesn't matter if its a retail or burned disk or not). As soon as it recognizes the DVD I eject it and then put in a Blu-Ray. It works EVERY time. I agree it's a pain but I'm not going to buy another Blu-Ray player because after a web search I find many other top brand Blu-Ray players have the same issue regardless of the maker.