Lawrancew

VCR playback thru HDMI or composite video on DVR620KU

I just purchased a DVR620KU.  I can only see/hear the VCR playback from the red/white RCA audio out and yellow RCA video connectors.  The VCR playback does not come thru the HDMI connector or the composite video connectors.  I can not find out why?  The DVD playback comes thru the HDMI and composite video connectors just fine.

billie57

Re: VCR playback thru HDMI or composite video on DVR620KU

Same here.... HDMI works fine with DVD, but I have to go through RCA cable (red white yellow) to playback VHS tapes. No so with Panasonic DMR-EZ47V
Regular Advisor
RLangston

I've seen other posts where people are experiencing this. I didn't have my DVR620KU hooked up to use HDMI, but tonight I rearranged things so I could test it, and it works properly. I ran an HDMI cable from the HDMI output (back of the unit) and ran it into a Westinghouse 26" HDTV HDMI input. I first tried playing a DVD and it was fine. I pressed the VCR button on the remote, then pressed play for a VHS tape that had an SLP recording on it. The picture was watchable, although expectedly grainy, as SLP through HDMI would be. I tried the various General Setup->HDMI settings and nothing made the VCR imagery go away, although some settings did make it grainier. As per the instructions on p. 20 of the manual, I tried all 3 HDMI settings (using the HDMI button on the Toshiba remote). You can only change them when in DVD mode, so I switched to DVD mode and tried 720p and 1080p, switching back to VCR and playing the tape each time. Of course the aspect ratio and the resolution of the image changed, but it was still viewable.

So I don't really have an explanation why people aren't able to play back VHS using HDMI. It sure works for me.

Regular Advisor
RLangston

One more thought... perhaps the TV decides that the HDMI signal isn't "good enough" from the VCR and just blanks the signal instead. My TV is several years old and perhaps doesn't do that, or maybe its default settings are such that it's more tolerant. This is just speculation.

dmanh

Page 100 of the user's guide says:

Caution on using S-video, component, or HDMI connection for VCR:

• Only the playback audio / video are available with these connections.

• Under the conditions listed below, the playback image and audio cannot be output. Use the standard video connection, in such case;

- during DVD recording.

- when L3 (DV-IN) is selected.

• HDMI video resolution cannot be changed when the unit is in VCR mode.

And under the VCR troubleshooting section on page 105:

There is no picture.

• If you connect the cable to S-VIDEO OUT/ COMPONENT VIDEO OUT / HDMI OUT jack, try connecting it to AUDIO / VIDEO OUT jack instead.