Tryvek

Toshiba DVR620 DVD/VHS Recorder disc won't play on other DVD players

I just installed a Toshiba DVR620 DVD/VHS Recorder. It is most commonly used for converting VHS tapes to DVD discs.

I got it to record TV shows (via TIVO) to DVD using the RCA (yellow, red, white) input connection (L1).

I used a DVD-R blank for my first attempt and all went as expected except for the resulting disc. It will only play on the Toshiba DVR620 and one other DVD player I have (oldest one). Would not play on the other four nor could my PC read it. One of my DVD players plays just about everything including blu-ray, PAL, any region and many video file formats. It atempts to load the DVD I produced on the Toshiba DVR620 DVD/VHS and after a bit, signals disc error and ejects it.

For my next attempt I used a DVD+R blank. That resulting disc would only play on the Toshiba DVR620. Even my oldest player didn't like a DVD+R disc.

I called Toshiba support and they couldn't suggest any solution and acted like who would want to play the disc on anything except their machine.

I suspected the 'problem' was the way the Toshiba opened and closed the disc at the beginning and end of the recording process. That process was very user friendly as all one need do is put in a blank, press the RECORD button and then at the end, press the STOP button. When you press the STOP button, the unit automatically goes into a 'finish' mode and a grey timing bar appears at the bottom of the screen. It gradually fills until it shows 100% and then it disappears. EOJ!

I asked Toshiba if there was anything I could do to change the settings on the machine so it would produce a DVD-R that could be played in other players and they said no. Everything was set-up to be automatic.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tryvek

Re: Toshiba DVR620 DVD/VHS Recorder disc won't play on other DVD players

It turns out that "Auto Finish" only works when the recording (burning) is being done in timer mode or the disc is full.

For manual operation, when the recording is finished and you press Stop it only 'appears' to go into Finishing mode.

In fact, you can remove the disc and reload it at any time (or not) and then go to "Setup" and step through the Finish DVD steps to actually finish the disc so it will play on another DVD player. I reloaded those first DVD-R and DVD+R discs and finished them in this way.

Both now play on all of my other DVD Players. 

Droane

After following necessary steps and pressing dubbing, the VHS tape does not begin playback and recording to disk. Can't get a support person from Toshiba. Any suggestions before I return it?
Lawrancew

Press Input Select button on remote until it says L1.  Helped me anyway.

zhong

You are suppose to finalized the DVD before it can play on p.c. and other dvd players.

Didn't the Toshiba support people tell you that when you asked them ?  L.O.L.

bmoc

thank you for posting this... finding a manual was insane and I thought I was losing my mind becasue this disk woudn't play anywhere except the Toshiba.  

behnam1956

Please help me out. Please tell me how to fix this problem step by step ??

Thanks,

Ben

Regular Advisor
RLangston

What problem are you asking to fix? The need to finalize a disc so it can be played on other DVD players?

Are you using a DVR-620KU? The manual is here:

http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2842852&isFromTOCLink=false

P. 31 of this manual explains step-by-step about how to finalize a disc.