CJ82Sky

Toshiba BDX2150 won't resolve DNS server/can't connect to internet (wired)

Ethernet works fine as I can unplug the blu ray and plug in my dish network box and get to the internet without issue.  Internet connection itself is fine as I am online via laptop, ipad, and iphone all without issue. No matter what I try, I can NOT get this player to connect to the internet which is incredibly frustrating!!!

Dynamic settings doesn't work.  Neither does manual.

I am using a Belkin N750 DB dual band wireless router, connecting to the blu ray via ethernet cable.

I have tried turning firewall off, i have also tried turning ICMP Ping off to no avail.

I probably need to set up manual internet for the blu ray but i've got to be doing something wrong.  PLEASE HELP!

Router Settings:

Internal IP: 192.168.8.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

DHCP Server: Enabled

WAN Settings:

Internet Settings

WAN MAC Address08:86:3B:40:B5:9B
  Connection TypeStatic
  WAN IP192.168.2.4
  Subnet Mask255.255.255.0
  Default Gateway192.168.2.1
  DNS Address71.2.28.14
CJ82Sky

Re: Toshiba BDX2150 won't resolve DNS server/can't connect to internet (wired)

Okay tried manual to no avail:

IP Address: 192.168.8.50

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.8.1 (IP of router)

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

Says can't connect to router.  HELP!

CJ82Sky

more updates - i CAN connect blu ray player direct to modem w/o issue.  i can NOT connect blu ray player via router to modem.  it gives me same DNS error.

I have MULTIPLE other devices connected to router without issue (laptops, cell phones, ipad, etc.).  the dish network DVR player ALSO connects to the router to the internet without issue.  something about the blu ray is not working right to connect via router.

mosdef88

I have the same exact issue as well! This is over the wirless connection however, I can connect via Ethernet Cable to my Modem it is a NetGear WDRM3300 v1. It can establish connection but cant resolve DNS Server. Please HELP!

jdubs

I had the same problem. It is a problem with updates but it wont show you what to press. When you go to BD-live it will say network not working but if you go in through your settings a brief message will pop up to update. hit the red button when you are under settings and the network. Min e updated and everything worked a little bit after the update. What a pain though

CJ82Sky

what did you update to get it to work?  there are no options for me to update anything - i tried dynamic setup as well as manual setup to no avail and it won't work either way.

CJ82Sky

So i can use an old wireless router to get connected to the internet, and the Belkin N750 will let ALL my other devices get to the web, and the Toshiba BDX2150 can connect to the internet through any OLD crappy router (that then freezes bc they are way old and outdated).  for some reason they just won't work with EACH OTHER?!

Can ANYONE help?! this is for a WIRED connection.

Peter

That's a frustrating situation in which you've found yourself, I'm sure.

What settings do you use when connected through an old router (IP, gateway, DNS servers)? How is that router set up (what settings does it have for WAN IP, etc.)?

- Peter
CJ82Sky

Hi all - some updates - just got off the phone with tech support at Toshiba and they say that "the LAN card inside the player can only connect to a modem and will not work through a router at all unless you buy the wireless LAN adapter".

Moral of the story - RETURN THIS BLU-RAY PLAYER ASAP! Get your money back NOW and put it towards a product that is worth it.... i.e. one that works.  What good is a blu-ray player that will not work through a router and needs a direct internet connection?

By the way I called the TOSHIBA customer service number for Tech Support and this was the answer I got - this is official!  Nice, right?  Guess where I'm going tomorrow - to return this player and get one that works - from ANY OTHER BRAND!

AmarS

I had the same issue as CJ but then realized that the CAT5 cable had an issue. I re-crimped the RF45 jacks and it works fine now. I do have the Blu-Ray player connected to a router that is in turn connected to my cable modem.

Hope this helps.

Amar

marathonrec

[ Edited ]

My situation is nearly identical to that of CJ82SKY, except I don't have an old router to try. The situation is well beyond frustrating at this point, Peter. The BDX2150 has wasted a considerable amount of my time. I bought the unit with a mail-in rebate, and since the UPC has been removed for the rebate, I'll be unable to return the device to the store for a refund. So, it has been a waste of money and time.

The only difference I noted was that in addition to not connecting through the router, my BDX2150 would not resolve the gateway or DNS even when connected directly to the modem, either. When connected to the router, I tried the Dynamic and manual settings. No dice. The BDX2150 receives the IP address in dynamic mode and "recognizes" the router, but no iteration of any procedure has worked for reconciling the DNS - including manual configuration with explicit definition of the primary and secondary DNS.

I also spent hours on the phone with customer support, and nobody mentioned anything about needing a wireless LAN card to make this device work properly. So, I would not expect that statement to be an official Toshiba solution. Besides, the ability to connect this device physically to the internet is one of the main reasons I spent the money on it. I can already stream Netflix via our Nintendo Wii.

Like CJ8, I have many devices in the house connecting successfully to the internet through this router and modem. Most of them are manually configured, but a couple of the recent devices are dynamically configured. Never a problem with any of them: desktop computer, laptop computer, tablet, ipod, machines coming home from work, and Wii are among them.