Casey1

New DVR620KU tray won't open

I cannot get my DVR620KU disk tray to open.  When I press the open/close button on the remote the unit just lights up and says 'open' and nothing happens. Then it returns to L1. If I press the open/close button again the disk tray lights up with 'Close'.  Then it says (as far as I can make out) L-o-d-d. I don't know what this means??? I'm using 2 hook-ups: HDMI/TV and RCA video cable white-red and yellow from back to my TV tuner to DVR620KU. Until I hooked-up the RCA cable I couldn't even get a TV picture.    

Regular Advisor
RLangston

Re: New DVR620KU tray won't open

If you are pressing the Open/Close button and then you see an Open display on the front of the unit (and the word DVD also appears), and you don't see the disc tray open, I'd say you have a faulty unit or your tray is stuck. When you press Open/Close again and the display says Close, then it says Load (that's what you were having trouble making out on the display) it is trying to see if there's a disc in the tray to load. When it finds there's not one to load, it stops.

You can try pressing the Open/Close button on the unit (not the remote) next to the disc tray to see if there is any difference in behavior. Put your ear near the unit to hear if there's any grinding or resistance that would indicate the disc tray is stuck.

A theory is that there's a disc in the tray that's not properly in place and it's preventing the tray from opening, and it's not loadable in its present state. If there's no disc in the tray and it won't open, you'll need to have the unit repaired, I'd say.

Casey1

I've tried the open/close button on the unit itself, but the same thing happens. This is a brand new unit - just opened the box 6 days ago so there shouldn't be a disk in it--it's not a refurished unit.  It makes a clicking sound when I press the open/close button on the remote, not a clucking sound. Frankly I wonder if I have it set-up right. I've called Toshiba tech service over and over but can never get through. I'm just put on hold and then the phone goes dead. Could it be the parental lock somehow? I haven't even used that since I have no kids.  I have the RCA wires connected between the tuner and the DVD, do they also have to be connected from the DVD unti to the TV??

Regular Advisor
RLangston

I'm suspecting this unit is faulty and you need to return it from where you purchased it. Peter has posted info in other threads about how to file a warranty claim.

One quick thing to try: you can put your fingernail in the opening beside the DVD door on the right hand side. You

should be able to pull the DVD door down just with your fingernail with no effort. With you finger holding down the

door, press the Open/Close button to the left of the DVD door and see what happens. In normal circumstances,

the DVD tray will open.

If you instead find that the DVD door won't effortlessly open by slipping in your fingernail, then possible that

stuck DVD door is the problem.

Casey1

Thanks. I tried that and it still won't open.  Now I'm contacting the seller.