elf607

DVR 670R - won't timer-record digital channels to disc

I cannot get the timer to work with digital channels for the disc side.  I can timer-record digital channels to the vcr side, and I can one-touch record digital channels to both the disc and the vcr side.  But when I set up the timer to record a digital channel to disc I get the dreaded E40 error code and no recording.  I select the digital tv option on the programming screen and type in the digital channel (68-1), but it doesn't record.  Please help.

Regular Contributor
hb

Re: DVR 670R - won't timer-record digital channels to disc

You may already know that the manual says E40 means "Some portion has not been recorded because of program overlapping. Recording did not start at the start time."  It's not clear to me how program overlapping would be determined.  You might want to call Toshiba on this one.

CO-rec

My DVR670ku was working fine until 2 days ago, when it developed exactly the same problem. Records fine if I hit Rec button, timer records fine to VCR. But won't execute timer record to DVD. I've tried unplugging overnight, reprogramming all channels, clock, different disks, etc. It knows it's supposed to record - timer light is lit in window. But doesn't come on and record at programmed time. And after the timer period is past, if I turn on machine, and press Timer Prog -- I see same Error code as Mr. elf -- E40, meaning it failed to start because of overlapping program. But, of course there wasn't any other program for it to conflict with.

Talked to Tech Support today and they have no clue either -- say I must send my 1.5 yr old unit in for service -- $150. I may just live with the malfunction, use VCR for timed recordings when I need to.

rickcarl

CO-rec wrote:

My DVR670ku was working fine until 2 days ago, when it developed exactly the same problem. Records fine if I hit Rec button, timer records fine to VCR. But won't execute timer record to DVD. I've tried unplugging overnight, reprogramming all channels, clock, different disks, etc. It knows it's supposed to record - timer light is lit in window. But doesn't come on and record at programmed time. And after the timer period is past, if I turn on machine, and press Timer Prog -- I see same Error code as Mr. elf -- E40, meaning it failed to start because of overlapping program. But, of course there wasn't any other program for it to conflict with.

Talked to Tech Support today and they have no clue either -- say I must send my 1.5 yr old unit in for service -- $150. I may just live with the malfunction, use VCR for timed recordings when I need to.

Hello:
I have had the exact same problem with timer DVD recording and just posted my update. (I never use the VHS side to timer record, btw.) The dreaded E40 error code tells me that it HAS to be clock setting issue, as I only timer record one program to DVD new disc. No other programs would overlap as the error says. I have had this problem 3x now over the past year. It is working this week (for once) but I know it will go back. I have experienced everything you have talked about as well and tech support suggested just unplugging the unit for at least 1/2 hour and resetting the clock. I have done this many times and usually it works; many times not. As I said...this week it is working because I reset the clock and changed the channel to DTV, not CH 1. It is a great recorder when it works. My device is only a year and half as well...could it just have bugs and tire out from daily, timer recording??
IF YOU SEE THIS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE HAD ANY LUCK WITH A SOLUTION. SENDING IT TO BE FIXED FOR THAT PRICE IS POINTLESS.

rdrake1963

Hi.

I've have found a simple but apparently effectively solution to the E 40 problem on Toshiba DVD recorders.

Go into the main menu and reset options to factory defaults. I did this and the disc suddenly started recording a brief 2 minute  segment that I had set up, as I tried to fix the problem once again.

When it stopped, I timer programmed and sure enough it worked. I tried it a second time and it worked again. I hope this helps someone. I offered this solution (my first ever posting)  as a thanks to everyone whose postings have helped me find answers to technical issues over the last several years. 

Good Luck. 

Drake.