handykc

DVD Recorder DVR620KU

I am trying to copy home VHS tapes to DVD-R.  I follow the steps for dubbing and am using Auto Finalize.  The DVD is blank no matter what I try.  I'm also not seeing the VHS on the TV as it is recording.  Anyone have an answer?

Peter

Re: DVD Recorder DVR620KU

You're following the exact instructions from page 50 of the user's guide? Open SETUP and select "General Setting." Then select "Recording." Next select "Dubbing Mode." Choose "VCR -> DVD." Press SETUP to exit, and then press VCR. Find the spot in the VHS tape you want to begin dubbing. Remember that when you begin the process, it might not start recording for a few seconds. Once you've found the right spot on the VHS tape, press the PAUSE button (not stop). Press DVD, and then press REC MODE repeatedly to select your desired recording mode. Finally, press DUBBING to begin the process. Press STOP to stop when you're done.

- Peter
lorshel

I have exactly the same problem as Peter- trying to copy a VHS tape (not copyrighted) to a DVD.  I followed the instructions on p. 49 and 50.  I used a DVD+RW disc.  After pressing 'dubbing' a red light flashes on my screen which is otherwise blue (no picture).  The video tape counter does not move on.  I am able to play VHS and DVD discs without recording so i am presuming that I have the DVR connected to the TV correctly.  Any suggestions.

Peter

There are step-by-step instructions in a Knowledge Base article. It was originally written for the DVR670KU, but I believe it should be applicable.

How To: Dub (copy) VHS tapes to DVDs (DVR670KU)

You can also make a warranty claim if you believe there to be a problem with the device.

- Peter
pladler

Re: DVD Recorder DVR620KU - Dubbing Procedure

Same problem .... following the instructions on page 49 and 50 did not work for me. After searching for a solution I put two reply procedures together, each had a slight flaw, to be able to convert a VHS tape to a DVD:

Turn DVR620KU on, daaa

This is all using the remote :

Use Setup to select the input to "L1".

Insert a blank DVD  (I like to use DVD-Rs)

Press Rec Mode button and choose mode. Usually "SP".

Press VCR, Insert your VHS tape, Press play and pause the tape a few seconds before the point that you will want to start recording.

DO NOT USE "STOP", Use "PAUSE"

Press DVD

Press DUBBING.  DO NOT PRESS "RECORD".

Your conversion will be successful if you now see the red "DOT" and the red "DB" indicators on the units display. You will also be able to see the VHS contents as the conversion takes place.

Paul

pladler

Me again .....

Just wanted to add that I had another problem with "Auto Finalization".

Apparently auto finalization will take place only when the DVD is FULL. Most of my VHS tapes don't fill a DVD, sooooo

After the tape counter stops (end of VHS contents), with the DVD still in the unit AND you don't want to add more to the DVD:

Press Setup, press Finalization (this process will take a few seconds). The DVD will now play on most players.

Paul

pladler

Re: DVD Recorder DVR620KU - "Manual" Finalization Procedure

Sorry for not giving more details to the finalization of a DVD that is not filled.

I call this "Manual" Finalization ......

Once your VHS has completed and with the DVD still in the unit (and of course, you don't have any more to add to it):

On the remote:

Press Setup, down to and press DVD Menu/Enter, Finalize/Enter, Yes/Enter

Wait for the process to complete and the DVD is ready to play on most players.

Paul

mizzou2

I am UNABLE to manually FINALIZE and am using the proceudres accordingly. I used to do it FINE.. Now when I select SETUP, I CAN NOT arrow down to DVD MENU ---- it is grayed out. I have copied 3 different times with NO LUCK. Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing my problem? Thanks much!!

Regular Advisor
RLangston

I'm assuming you're using the DVR620KU?

You say you've "copied 3 times with no luck". Do you mean you've copied from VHS to 3 different DVD-R discs and each time tried to finalize and could not? And they are definitely DVD-R discs?

Can you play back those DVD-R discs successfully without finalizing on DVR620KU? Does the menu come up as soon as you insert the disc? (If so you may have auto-finalize on and the disc is already finalized). Can the discs be played on your computer? (If so they are already finalized).

Note that Auto Finalizing is set by going to Setup->General Setting->Recording->Auto Finalize. There are 2 categories. One is Disk Full. If that is ON then finalizing takes place when the disc is full. This setting should be OFF unless you want this.

The other category is End Of Timer Recording. If that is ON then finalizing takes place at the end of timer recording. This setting should be OFF unless you want this.  (I never have those settings ON).

I've had cases where the disc went bad before finalization but the disc could still be played in the Toshiba unit. I'm not sure if that's what's happened here. Usually when that happens, Finalize can be chosen from the Setup menu, but the finalization fails.

mizzou2

Yes ,, I'm using the dvr620KU. DVD-R... I can NOT replay the UNFINALIZED DVD on the dvr620KU.  The AUTO FINALIZE settings are OFF.. Both FULL and END OF TIMER... For some unknown reason,, when I go to SETUP,, the DVD MENU is GRAYED OUT,, and I can NOT arrow down to it. I think I have copied on LP... for a 4 hour recording,, since the VHS tape is about 2 hours and 17 minutes. I didn't think I could copy on the SP speed...

Any more ideas?

horsonymous

I have a DVR620KU.  I have copied many items (TV shows, video cassettes) to DVD successfully.  However, I just encountered the same or similar problem.  I was recording a video cassette  of a TV show (so, no right protection issues).  I was 3 hours in to recording the DVD when it stopped recording and there was an  error message.  I took the disc out, and put it back in and was able to finish recording the disc.  However, when I went to  finalize the disc (manual finalization), I got an error message E22 (whatever that is) and  it  won't allow me  to finalize.  I can play the disc in my Toshiba player.  But, of course, I can't  get a menu.  What does E22  mean and is there any different way to try to finalize the disc?

ClarissaLee

DVR620KU that I have used for several years with no problems suddenly gives error 35 message no matter what! I am puzzled and perplexed. Please help.
ClarissaLee

Tried resetting to factory settings to no avail.
djcholmes

Thanks for this!  I've been looking for a solution for hours and this one worked.