newf93

DVD Recorder D-R4SU

Probably a really stupid question, but I'm interested to know the answer...

I have an old D-R4SU DVD Recorder that I bought years ago, along with a huge stack of recordable DVDs. I am finally at the point where I need to purchase more DVDs, and I could not remember what brand, writing speed, etc.

I have finally found the manual for the unit, and it suggests I use Maxell, TDK or Taiyo Yuden 4x discs. Most discs I have found to purchase are either 8x or 16x writing speed. Does it matter what writing speed the disc has, or will my recorder not be able to support the 8x/16x discs?

Please let me know as soon as possible... Thank you!

Regular Advisor
RLangston

Re: DVD Recorder D-R4SU

I am speculating that this unit may be of the same vintage as my older Panasonic unit E75V. That unit only takes 4x discs and will not accept 8x discs.

4x discs are hard to find now; I'm not sure if they're even been manufactured any more. You can certainly try an 8x disc in this older Toshiba unit and see if it takes it. If so, great. Otherwise, you should get a newer model DVD recorder, even it you happen to find a spindle of 4x discs on eBay.

Regular Advisor
RLangston

I may be mistaken in that my older Panasonic E75V could accept 8x after all but it definitely couldn't accept 16x. I'm remembering buying a spindle of 8x discs with the thought that they would be hard to find in the future. I would suspect your D-R4SU might accept 8x, but you'll just need to try. I think you'll find it difficult to locate 8x discs any more. I suspect your unit will not accept 16x discs.

newf93

RLangston wrote:

I am speculating that this unit may be of the same vintage as my older Panasonic unit E75V. That unit only takes 4x discs and will not accept 8x discs.

4x discs are hard to find now; I'm not sure if they're even been manufactured any more. You can certainly try an 8x disc in this older Toshiba unit and see if it takes it. If so, great. Otherwise, you should get a newer model DVD recorder, even it you happen to find a spindle of 4x discs on eBay.

The manufacter date on the back is March 2005, I bought it a year or two later brand new off of ebay.

I feared that may be the answer... but have been looking at other recorder options just in case this was indeed the answer. No sense in having a DVD recorder if the the discs no longer exist. I could always keep this one as backup I guess (assuming I can find a spindle of 4x discs!)

Thank you so much for answering my question. Do you have any recommendations for a more current recorder that has similar capabilities to this one? I use this one mostly to transfer VHS to DVD, but also use to record programs off TV/DVR.

Regular Advisor
RLangston

I use the Toshiba DVR-620KU for VHS->DVD recording, but it does not have a tuner. If you want to record programs, then you could consider the DVR-670KU which does have a tuner. I've not personally owned that unit, however.

JCoop

My D-R4SU manual states that you can use RAM 2.x, DVD-R 2.x or DVD-RW 1.x disks.

newf93

Just wanted to let you know - I ordered a package of ten 8x discs, and they worked in my recorder. Thank you SO much for your help with this. Happy holidays!

Speterson

I have been recording football games, TV shows and TV movies on my Toshiba D-R4SU.  I having been usung Verbatim 8X blank DVD Model 96856.  It works.

newf93

Another question! Seems the recorder is now on it's last legs. Lately I have been having trouble with discs - it keeps telling me to check the discs, that it may be damaged or need cleaning, when they clearly aren't damaged or dirty. Now it won't even open to let me load a disc. I still have a number of discs that need to be finalized; is there any way I can do that with another recorder, or another way?
Regular Advisor
RLangston

I would speculate that the laser is going bad.

You may be able to find a repair place that can try cleaning it, but it likely can't be repaired.

I have 2 DR400 Toshiba that are similar vintage to your machine, and they use the same finalization as newer units. You may be able to use a newer model Toshiba to finalize, but don't necessarily count on it.

Perhaps someone on the forum has the same model unit as you and could help you in finalizing the rest.

newf93

Thanks for your reply. I managed to find the same model, however, it doesn't come with the remote. Do you know if I'd be able to use the remote from my old unit with a new unit? And if so, how difficult will it be to set it up?
Regular Advisor
RLangston

Do you mean you found another D-R4SU? If so, then the remote you had should be fine. If it's a different model Toshiba, it may very well work, depending on the functions. For example, I have 2 DR400 units, and I have a newer DVR620KU. The latter's remote works fine with the older DR400 units. However, the older DR400 units' remotes work with some functions of the DVR620KU, but not with the VCR functions.

newf93

Yes indeed, a D-R4SU. :-) So here's hoping the remote will work. Do you think I'd need to do anything to make it "talk" to the unit, or should it just work automatically?
Regular Advisor
RLangston

There should be no problem since the remote is for the same model unit.

newf93

Great! Thank you so much for your help about this, as well for answering my many questions over the past several months.
Jaymz13

I have that exact DVD-Recorder. I have used Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R, Maxell 16x DVD-RW, HP 16x DVD-R, Verbatim 16x DVD-R, and Memorex 16x DVD-R all without issues. The nice thing about the re-writable DVDs is that you can reuse them multiple times per disc. Very useful for grabbing stuff off of TV.

I have a couple other DVD-Recorders, but the D-R4SU has a built in tuner, making it far superior to most others.

Speterson

I, too, have the DR4SU.  I can record well with the Verbatim discs described above, but am trying to find a RW disc that will work.  I tired Sony -RW 1-2X.  The unit won't recognize those.  I'll try the Maxell RWs.

MES
MES

I am using Taiyo Yuden -R  8X and they are doing great.