JimmyP

BDX2150 shutting off while playing USB movie

I just picked up this BluRay player during Best Buy's Black Friday deal. I tested it tonight by playing an MP4 movie that was loaded onto my USB flash drive and that I plugged into the back of the BluRay player. However, every 45 minutes or so the player would unexpectedly shut off.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? 

Thanks!

Peter

Re: BDX2150 shutting off while playing USB movie

Try changing the screen saver duration in the System Settings menu. I wonder if it player isn't considering USB movies as "activity" so is turning off.

- Peter
kenalexruss

My BDX2250KU has the same problem and also shuts down after 30 minutes when playing from the usb or wifi streaming content from my Toshiba satellite laptop. The auto power down kicks in after 30 minutes as the player doesn't realize it's being utilized when no disc is playing. Toshiba support told me to keep checking the website/support forum in case someone found a solution!
JimmyP

Thanks Peter for the suggestion but it isn't a screen saver issue (well, there was one issue with that initially but I just disabled that feature). As kenalexruss it's an issue with it powering down. And I agree with you in that the player probably doesn't recognize the USB as playing and therefore views the machine as inactive.

I have yet to try this solution, but I think it should work (although it would be slightly bothersome). I'll just set an alarm for 29 minutes and then when the alarm goes off quickly press Pause/Play twice so the machine receives some signal and doesn't power down. I think this should work as a temporary fix, but it would be really nice if Toshiba has an actual fix for this issue.

Peter

Yeah, that doesn't sound like the most pleasant of solutions.

I see in the manual that it does power down after a period of inactivity, so I'm definitely thinking that it just doesn't realize it's active. For now, yes, checking back for a firmware update seems like the best advice I can give.

I'm sorry I can't be more help.

- Peter
Jakubc

[ Edited ]

Hey I jusy gave my parents the 2150 model for xmas and it has the same issue! I was playing avi files from DVDR and every 30 min it shuts down. It's clear that the system thinks it's inactive, FAIL! I see there is a new firmware update, will this fix the issue?

I think my 30 day warranty from Best Buy has expired since I purchased this mid November! 

hecatomb

Yeah, got one of these players for my Bro for Christmas and he observed the same issue.  It seems like something that could be fixed really easily with a firmware patch.  I'm trying to encourage my brother to keep the player because it is a great Blu-Ray player on its own.

Another issue he's run into is an inability to play jpg files is the picture viewer.  It only shows the thumbnails for him and pictures don't load.

Thanks for the suggestion about the pause/play as well.  I wonder if just hitting say an info button etc every 15min or so would have the same effect though.

Cheers 

Occasional Contributor
Prime_8

hey bro .. 

yeah BR plays fine . 

playing anything that does not keep the disk spinning while in play will cause screensave to kick in eventualy leading to shutdown ..

unless you hit info or such during screensaver or such ..

even if you hit a blocked button .. any one that puts that forbidden warning up for a sec will do .

- could be a simple fix in firmwear .. or the java it juns on . -- just add a extra option(s)  :

1  no power down 

2  no screen saver 

3 ~ set all media as active ..

4 ~ or just a option to temp turn power down and screen saver off. 

-- what got me was watching a long xvid (on DVD) ... and it powerd off.. and then i found teh goto time index is not possible for xvid encoded files.  & max FF was 2x .. LOl

- seems even media that can be read form disc but dont keep the disk spinning will do this LOL

-- it will only show immage thumbs for stuff over network that is not video .

no music or immages work via lan/network.  seem to be fine via usb though.

again firmwear could be fixed for that.

DPShell

I have the same problems with the BDX2250: Auto-shutoff during USB playback and no FF or REV for USB or avi on disk.  I have had this problem since September and have been Patiently waiting for the Firmware fix....  My firmware is dated July and is version 1.15.   Does a Toshiba rep monitor this site?? Hello??

Occasional Contributor
Prime_8

i have found ff and rev and goto function are related to flavors / encoding codec.

ald
ald

I am also having a problem with the unit shuting down while veiwing content from usb flash drive,I was wondering is there a fix for this,or will there be soon.I tried to call customer service but the are not open on weekends.I would think a large company like toshiba woud have customer service reps 24/7.

DPShell

Maybe good news!  I finally called Toshiba Cust. Sup. and had the issue bumped up to the 3rd level technical staff.  They tested two supposedly identical units and one shut off after 30 minutes and one didn't.  So they now know there is a problem but they don't know what causes it. They may come up with a firmware patch or an update in a week or so.  My firmware is version 1.15 and they say that is current although it is dated July of 2011.

Occasional Contributor
Prime_8

LOL , just give us a menu option to turn off teh auto power off feature and as long as we can turn screen saver off we are good. 

funny one does it and others dont .. i can time it to 30min dead on to the second . 

DPShell

Bad news.

I heard back from tech support and they backtracked. Now they won't admit it is a problem and will not update the firmware.  They just offered to replace my unit.  Gee, I wonder why Toshiba gets such bad customer reviews????

hecatomb

Based off of that, I retract what I said in the 'being polite' thread I posted a while back.  If Toshiba were to update the firmware to fix a few of these issues, would there really be any point buying their flagship models for twice as much?  They're trying to keep the BDX2150 somewhat feature-nutered for business reasons.. and it's depressing.

Recon8

This is happening to my BDX2250 as well. Not only is it annoying but the fact that my MKV files only FFW at 2x - it takes forever to get back to where I was. I am sure a little programming effort and a firmware update is all it would take to fix the unit from shutdown!?!? I do understand that the MKV files have nothing to do with Toshiba.

Regards,

Bobor

This is getting to be really silly...I called Toshiba support about this issue and after a few minutes of "research" the guy came back and said to me that this player cannot play any format other than avcch and jpegs. Well...not really...seems to play almost any format off the USB key (with gorgeous upscaling I might add) but for all of 30 minutes! For kicks I burned an mkv file onto a DVD as a media file and the player played it fine but also for just 30minutes, so the idea that the player shuts off because the drive isn't in motion is out the window. This seems to point to a firmware issue...it's as though the player isn't aware that a non blu-ray file is being played and just auto shuts. Like another poster its too late for a return to Best Buy. Really disappointed in Toshiba on this one - even more so if they don't come up with some kind of fix
Recon8

Interesting that they've said "player cannot play any format other than avcch and jpegs."  My Toshiba Box has a MKV logo and the instructions explain how to play MKVs.

Why don't they just admit there is a problem?

ksaucy

Mine does the same thing.  Very frustrating!  What I have to do is set the screensaver to go off after 20 minutes, then I can hit any button and we're good for another 20 minutes.  A little annoying, but better than it turning off because you forget the timer or whatever.  Shame that Toshiba won't acknowledge their own mistake.  I love my Toshiba laptop!  That's why I bought the Toshiba blu-ray.  Would be really disappointing to find out their customer service sucks! 

MalibuJimCA

So Toshiba Guys what are the plans to fix this problem?

It appears that all of these units have this fault.  If I don't pause the movie every 25 mins or so

the unit powers itself off.  Gets very frustrating with MPG files as I can only FFWD at 2X at least Xvid (.AVI) lets me advance back to where it stopped at 16X  Unit is great - but you need to fix this and restore your good name.