tslandry
Accepted Solution

"Plugged in, battery not charging"

I have been using a Toshiba netbook for several months, and it suddenly stopped charging last week. I don't think I have done anything different, but the battery icon says, "Plugged in, battery not charging." I searched the forums and a similar issue was addressed on 5-28-09. I tried the possible solutions on that post, but my battery is still not charging. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Re: "Plugged in, battery not charging"

TS, hello.

As a test, plug it in to the grid and then after booting, remove the battery. If it dies, the power supply is faulty.  If it keeps running then maybe a contact on the battery is damaged, have a good look.

Batteries are finicky items, they sometimes quit cooperating. Do you have a similar one to test ?

tslandry

Well, I had already taken the battery out a couple times and stared at the connections (what do bad connections look like?) with no change, but, the power was off when I did it. So, I powered up, took the battery out and stared at the connections some more. They hadn't changed. I put the battery back in with the power still on, and - lo and behold! - it started charging. Why having the power on made a difference, I don't know. I resisted the urge to jump for joy and put the computer to sleep for the night. This morning I had a full charge.

Thank you very much for such a simple solution to a vexing problem.

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

[ Edited ]

Good morning TS.

You also have me wondering what took place. I am sure that there is still an underlying problem in the charging circuitry. If this works for you, for whatever reason, keep it in mind. Also, these latter day batteries have some monitoring circuitry, they look at the voltage, ie: charge level, temperature and many other aspects of the battery. If you look at the battery connector, it could have up to eight contacts, two of them are + and - current. The rest are for the monitoring as I mentioned. None of these are worth trying to repair, getting to them destroys the pack.

Nice to have a fine Toshiba, no ? 

The connectors are normally squeze type, be them circular or "leaf" type, they match the connector in the laptop. If one was damaged, torn or bent, the integrity of the charger would suffer.

Let me know if the problem is gone.   JP.

tslandry

The problem seems to be gone. I am going to pretend the god of circuitry was playing tricks on me and not worry too much about the cause unless it happens again. I used the computer for several hours today, then set it to charge when the kids got home from school. This is the first problem I have had with this Toshiba. It's a great little netbook and suits my needs beautifully. When my full-size laptop dies, I plan to get another Toshiba.

Thanks, again.

Teresa

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

TS, hello.

I am glad the your problem is solved. Keep in mind that this "ghost" will be lurking in the background and might reappear any time. You will you what to do !

Have fun. Be aware that this forum is populated not by Toshiba, not in the least, we are all users more addept than the average bear and we all try to help all.  Keep good care of the kids, they leave too soon.  JP.

tslandry

FYI: I talked to a techie cousin yesterday. He said that the computer did not recognize any changes when I removed the battery while the computer was shut down. By removing the battery while the computer was running, I sent a message to the computer that circuits needed to be reset in preparation for a new/different battery. There are computer "memories" associated with the battery, and I basically told the computer that I was giving it a new battery and to erase all "memories." The guy designs circuitry and he was trying to talk down to my level of competence, but I think I got the gist of the matter correct.

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

TS, hello.

Your cousin shares my opinion, he must be a fine person.  :smileyvery-happy:

Along the years, the programmers have devised some fine softwares, the battery monitor is one. I do not think that your little problem was designed to work that way but as you found the solution, so much the better. Keep at it, let me know if you ever have to resort to the same procedure.

Be good.  JP.

athsr1

tslandry wrote:

I have been using a Toshiba netbook for several months, and it suddenly stopped charging last week. I don't think I have done anything different, but the battery icon says, "Plugged in, battery not charging." I searched the forums and a similar issue was addressed on 5-28-09. I tried the possible solutions on that post, but my battery is still not charging. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

Both my Toshibas had the same problem. I downloaded the updated bios from the Toshiba website and problem is fixed.

nvmemob

Mine had a similar result, and Lo BEHOLD after 10 seconds of "charging" again... it went back to, "plugged in, not charging".  I have a new chord from rocketfish because my dog ate my old one.  Perhaps that is the fault?  I've been using the new charger for about 3 weeks now.

waycool

after testing     bad battery   tryed all advice    charged to 100%  down to 1% nota     cleaned contacts, tested to toshiba spec    jumped thru all hoops nota   bought new battery from batterys plus and now works good       now      where can I get one under warranty??????     your site (toshiba) will not even say if my new laptop is covered    less than one year old   tried all      bad charger/pack   ya right       little support    as a new battery did fix it    so?????????????

can u help ?   our buy new????   laptop     please respond   thanks wayne

travisbikes

[ Edited ]

the remove battery trick didn't work for the new computer.  bios update did work.  try it. 

oswalds_mek

mine is a toshiba L305-S5933 WINDOW 7 32BIT.I HAVE TRIED THE BATTERY TRICK AND IT STILL DOESNT CHARGE.IT CHANGES FROM 'NO BATTREY DETECTED' TO "PLUGGED IN ANND CHARGING'WHILE ITS NOT CHARGING TO PLUGGED IN AND CHARGING' WHILE AN X IS PLACED ON THE BATTERY.CAN SOMEONE HELP?HOW DO I UPDATE THE BIOS?

Gmol51

I've got the Satellite A215-S7422 and just updated the BIOS from 1.3 to 2.0 the other day, but alas, although a fairly simple install, it didn't fix my battery issue. To update the BIOS start from the Toshiba home page, then to Support, then to Tech Support Center and find Download and click on it. You then need to pick your machine from drop-down lists and find the BIOS. Nothing happens from downloading the update nor does opening the file. Instead, it put a shortcut on my desktop from which I chose the 'install from a CD' option (I had to burn the CD myself.) Read the instructions as you go, but you end up re-booting to the CD (figured this was a better way than from Windows as one option was.)

Somebody may give you some more advice on this install, as there were 'scary' messages about making sure you don't loose power in the process. Good luck.

Gmol51

Thanks for the suggestion. I thougth I had tried this before, but perhaps not with the power on. This time, I even put my original old battery in, all while the charger was plugged in, and the old battery is up to 97%. I've got to unplug the charger to see if the charge is real or not (got some very short times on a fully charged battery during the past few days of running this problem down.)

Only other note it that my battery has 9 contacts. Thanks.

SaintJude

Charging problem any help

I have this Toshiba satellite that I have been using for some time but for some strange reasons the laptop does not power any time it plug into the power source so I have to charge it when it off till the battery is full before I can use the laptop any help plus

morninsky

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  My Satellite C655 was doing the same thing and I was afraid I'd have to spend the money for a new battery.  I followed your suggestion and voila!  it's charging.  :smileyvery-happy:

حسن_بكرى

[ Edited ]

Hi , 
I'm preformed the above test (Removed The Battery and then plugged it) to my Laptop And the Battery Started The Charging
but if I remove the Charger and  reconnect it ,it will not charge again 
I'm attached copy of Toshiba diagnostic tool test 

dandelioncruz

My toshiba satellite L500-1ET's battery says that it is plugged in but not charging? what am i going to do? when i remove the charger, it will loose power and will automatically turn off. it seems that the laptop's source of power is the charger and not the battery. what am i going to do? it is just a year old. :smileysad: please help

randigirl25

I know this is an old post but I have a Toshiba Satellite A665 which just started shutting itself off the second it was unplugged about a week ago and its been drivin me nuts!  I checked the charge battery icon and it said plugged but not charging, but your very simple solution solved the problem and its now charging perfectly so THANK YOU!!