joealati

my toshiba laptop shuts off

When I start it I hear the fan start for about 2 seconds then power goes off.  The laptop is only 1 1/2 years old and out of warranty. It started out intermittently shutting off but would run for a little while. Sometimes it would stay on an hour sometimes 1 minute. I took it apart and cleaned all the dust out. Put it back together and will not power up. Please help.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

Re: my toshiba laptop shuts off

unplug the power cord and remove the battery. hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds the replace the power cord and see if it will start. if not do the same as before but just put the battery in and try it again. if still nothing try it again and replace the battery and the power cord. if still nothing remover the ram and try one at a time to see if you get it to start

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
joealati

I did the unplug part with the power cord and battery to no avail. I have not ttried with the memory. Do you mean to remove the ram memory and try to start it? If it starts then does this mean the ram is no good?

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

try starting it will one stick and if that doesnt work take it out and try the other stick and see if it will start. one stick could be bad and have something to do with the problem. if that doesnt work then remove the hard drive and start to see if it will come up with the toshiba screen. if it doesnt thats about as much help as i can give.you may have to send it to the service depot.

-civicman4-
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
joealati

Thanks.

joealati

Hello, I tried all of the recommendations you made and finally got the computer to to work when I pulled the hard drive. Once I placed it back in the computer worked for about 1.5 hours before it shut off. So I am assumming that I need to replace my hard drivwe. There are many for sale on the internet. Do you have any recommendations on a reliable and reasonable source to purchase a new one? I plan on upgrading my memory at the same time. Thanks again.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

for hard drive any 2.5" hdd should work but without knowing the exact model i dont know what is in there. check out newegg.com and see what they have. read the reviews to see. you can also check national parts and see what they have. As far as upgrading ram the only ram guaranteed to work in a toshiba is kingston.

hope that helps

-civicman4-
joealati

Thanks again!

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

not a problem

glad to help

-civicman4-