MartinEnglish

Re: a/c adapter plugged in, not charging battery

I have the same problem - it seems many many people have. I can't believe Toshiba haven't come up with at least a comment on what to do. Is it a bug? Can it be fixed? Or do I just buy a new laptop by a different manufacturer - perhaps one that addresses customer issues.

GusJ

I have bought 4 batteries for my A80-S178TD Satellite and have had to return them all due to the same problem and can't for the life of me figure it out. It will run until the battery is down to 10% and then shut down and will not charge the battery for all the tea in China.
dawn57

to the people who are having a problem with ther batter not charging pluged in i have found that when you unplug the power cord when the laptop is on there is a slite glich it will say when i plug my adapter back in to laptop pluged in not charging batter power stays at 97 percent and wont charge you have to live it unpluged till it reaches at 96 percent on batter then plug it back and it will charge dont know why but it works for me .but if you close the laptop lid and let it go in to stand by then unplug it and cary the laptop to another place then plug in power cord before you open the lid it stays fully chargeed and you dont get this anoying message hope it works for you people

skipgundlach

On the subject of the problem shown:

I can't figure out how to start over with the question, which is exactly the same, other than that mine is a satellite C655 and S5128.

I've done the battery in-out, both with and without the power cord attached.

I've done the battery out/power-off/remove AC power/hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Without the battery, both lights on the front (AC power through the brick, system running) show.  As soon as the battery is reinserted, the AC light goes out after about 2 seconds.  The computer will behave normally (all functions, including start/restart/shutdown/hard reboot) without a battery.

I've also tried other power supplies with the same results.

Bios is 2.0.

The only success I've had was on the first in-out burnishing of the contacts (multiple insert/remove/replace), which allowed the battery to charge for a time, and then the symptom returned.

Ideas beyond those enumerated above?

Thanks.

JA74

Try this one,

charge the battery with your laptop until it stop charging, then release the AC adapter, set the power option to high performance, set turn off display to never, put the computer to sleep to never, let your laptop run with battery only until your laptop turn off by itself (the battery totally drain), close your laptop and plug your AC adapter, let the battery charge until the charge indicator stop (never open the laptop or turn on your laptop during this step) after fully charging, turn on your laptop and see if the battery level better, if not success, try this step in safe mode.

John091947

Thanks a zillion. I haven't used this 'puter NB500 for about a year. It wouldn't charge, bad day all around. Removed battery and reinserted...tick tock Bob's your uncle. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

John

Marsinah

I own the Toshiba NB505 netbook and the very same thing was happening to me. Here is what I did to fix my issue:
Step 1: Shut down the computer and remove the battery. Then turn it on but now with the battery out. It should say "battery not detected". 
Step 2: Open control panel and open the "device manager". Under "batteries" (the first one), uninstall the one that says "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery". This is the battery driver.
(Don't worry. The computer will automatically re-install it)
Uninstall the driver and shut down the computer. 
Then reinsert the battery and power on the computer. The driver should have re-installed itself. Check to see if the battery is now charging.
(It will take awhile for it to fully charge to 100% Best to shut it down and let it charge. The far left indicator light on the front of the Netbook will turn green when it is fully charged)
Hope this helps. Yeah I had to figure this one out on my own. Toshiba support staff over the phone were useless!
Good luck!!

mnbamonte

I am having the same but little different of an issue (Satellite L655).  When I unplug my laptop it will work for a while.  I then plug it back in and it does not show that the cord is plugged in (this is the battery icon on the bottom left of the screen).  In order to find it again, I need to take out the battery and plug it back in.  Then it works fine.  However I am worried to unplug it in case it does not find the cord again.  Has there been any resolution on this issue?

Sammmmmy

That maybe the problem of compatibility of operating system. 

LostShadow

[ Edited ]

i know that this is old Post but i have found my solution for this

you need to take out the battery and the a/c then take out the keyboard and then the B.I.O.S Battery and then keep pressed the power button for a minute and at the same time shorting the pins (socket ) were the B.I.O.S battery was for a minute .

the release the power button and put back the B.I.O.S battery 

Then put your keyboard back and then the laptop battery and power on and that its problem fixed

jonathon94

its not ur cord it the piece in side i have a toshiba laptop don't know the model but yeah the jack is crap they need to recall that bs my brother had the same problem just to let every one know so i have had that problem more than once i took the cord stripped it the tooked the cord in side the laptop and striped it conect them together put it back ogether and never had to worry about that again

eafwdragon

I know this post is old but, if none of these solutions helped I have another one. First I removed the battery and tried running the computer with just the power cord to make sure the battery was the problem (it was). Then I cleaned the contacts in the battery and the computer. I noticed that some oxidation had built up on the contacts in the computer so I scraped that with a razor to make sure it was clean. Worked like a charm! Hope this helps!