4star

a/c adapter plugged in, not charging battery

I have a Satellite c655-s5049. Its less than a year old. Today when I went to charge battery, it says plugged in, not charging. If I take the battery out and put it back in, it will start to charge. whats up with that?

stdnjm11

Re: a/c adapter plugged in, not charging battery

Mine started to do the same.  I upgraded, removed the battery and nothing works.  I'm starting to think everyone is having this problem.  It happens right at the end of the 1 year. 

lele2010

I have a different model laptop ( a NB200 ) that is about 2.5 years old now and doing the same thing as you guys..... i have to put the charger in, pop the battery out then put it back in in order to get the battery charged.... what did you guys end up doing? If you were able to fix it yet ( I hope! )

jamespatricx1

Same here. I am not able to charge my battery when i connect it directly. Is there any way to charge it.

hghlndr25

satellite c-655, same problem, also right after the first year, just coincidence? please someone advice if battery need to be replaced, thanks in advance.

wallyag

I have replaced the battery and the power adapter and still the battery won't charge and it won't power up on power adapter alone. I have a L555 a little over a year old and now useless. Toshiba needs to address this problem as it seems to be common.

Icametohelp

Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging.

Quote:
  1. Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .
  2. Expand the Batteries category.
  3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall . 
    WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
  4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .
    Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .

This worked for me, I hope it works for you!

waycool

just happened to me on my 6 mounth  old  C655 laptop

is any help out there???   windows 7 with all updates... 

waycool

I did all of this but no change

jives38

I am having the same problem with the battery with my c655 laptop.  What is the problem and how do I fix it?  I have only had this computer for 1 year.  Seems to be a problem this computer. It says plugged in, not charging.  Only will charge after I remove battery and the charge does not stay.

Regular Advisor
MadRN

[ Edited ]

Interesting.   I am trying out a new aftermarket Chinese-made 9 cell battery in my L505D-S6947.  This is a computer that was sold in 2009.   This 9 cell battery will charge until the Toshiba utility says it reached 44% charge, then it stops charging and says "Plugged in;  Not charging."   Nothing I do makes it charge more that 44%, per my computer.

Same computer flawlwssly charges the Toshiba 6 cell and 12 cell batteries.   A 9 cell battery is not listed as a Toshiba option for this model.

Also tried that same 9 cell aftermarket battery in the A505D-S69803 computer, and the exact same thing happens.  The A505 even has an aftermarket charger that replaced the defunt Toshiba charger.  This machine will fully charge a 6 cell or a 12 cell battery, though.

So, after all of that, lol, I am wondering if the problem y'all have is some discrepency between what the BIOS or firmware or something says is a valid battery choice, and the battery that Toshiba actually shipped with the computer, since it seems like a similar problem to the one I am having with this incompatible 9 cell battery.

correction:    The 9 cell will only charge to 42%, then I get plugged in / not charging after that.

Icametohelp

I have the C655D Satellite and I just bought it not long ago and I was having the same issue. It wasn't charging, and when I took the battery out, and then put it back in and plugged it in, it would charge for like anywhere from a minute to 5 minutes and stop. Then it would say "plugged in and not charging." In the post I previously made, I did all of those steps and it fixed the issue 100%. 

alexsafi

Hello there! I'm sorry to bothering you, but I have the same problem with my C655 s5049 and it's getting me very sad of Toshiba. It was my the best laptop I have ever had before I got this problem. I tried to do all things which I found through internet, but nothing were helped me and I still hope to fix it. Have you found any decision of this? And may be you can give me any new advise? Please. 

P.S. I can't to call Toshiba support service because I'm out of guarantee. And in country where I live there is no any Toshiba services.

upnseams

I too have this problem. I have the L555 that is almost 2 yrs. old and now the battery won't charge and the laptop will not load up w/o the batter. I did buy a new battery and ac power adaptor but still no luck.  Have tried all the things the board mentions to try nothing helped.  Can anyone plez advise befor I have to buy a new laptop.  thanks

sasha22

Same issue with mine; changed the battery, tried the charger on someone else's laptop and it worked fine. I bought my computer for Christmas 2011.

Occasional Contributor
ssblackcat

I seem to be having a strange twist to this problem. All of the same issues except mine says "plugged in, charging battery" as opposed to not charging battery. But no charge. I've ruled out the battery and AC cord as the problem.

Linds204

I have an A505-S6035 and I'm having a similar issue. I just bought a 12 cell battery, it has stayed at 44% (plugged in, charging) but nothing changes and the moment I take it off the A/C adapter it shuts off completely.

I did try what was already mentioned above but it did nothing. I can't call Toshiba either as I am just a few months shy out of my warranty. The 6 cell battery gives me no problems other then it wont barely last 1 hour fully charged.

Anyone help?

bocaj423

I just started having similar problems.  I've had this computer (Satellite A215-S7444 with Vista) for about 3-4 years now.  I never had a problem with charging it until about the past week.  Now whenever it is plugged in it says "plugged in, not charging."  I'll unplug and plug it in and it will charge for like 5 seconds then go back to saying that same thing.  Was there some kind of update that came out recently that could have screwed this up or something?  I even tried to: take the battery out, uninstall that ACPI-Compliant Control, turn off the computer, and turn it back on with the battery in.  Still does the same thing.  Anyone have an idea on how to fix this problem?

Regular Advisor
MadRN

[ Edited ]

No, I don't know how to fix it.    But I bought another 9 cell battery, to use in a A505-S6960 that is a bit older machine than the other two that I own.    I bought this battery as the least expensive 9 cell option on ebay.  It arrived with w 60% charge on it, per the A505-S6960.     I used it in that machine a while, then decided to try it in the L505D-S6947.   It's was rated at 50% charged when installed, and is charging now and is up to 65% without a balking.   Maybe there was just something not right with that earlier 9 cell aftermarket battery.   (I returned that one for a refund.)  I've also tried an aftermarket 12 cell in these same machines, and it also works great.

One thing I read on this board as more or less a cure-all for all kinds of Toshiba odd behavior like battery charging and computer running slow, is a total cold restart:

power down

unplug AC cord

remove battery

press and hold the power button for at least 30 sec to 1 minute,  release

reinstall same (or different) battery

plug the AC back in and see if the battery charges normally

(I think that was the procedure.  You can look it up.)

This new 9 cell batt fits easily into the A505-S6960.   It binds a little in the L505D, but it does go in.  Just very snugly.  

Ther might have been another post on here that said to reinstall the Hardware Monitor Toshiba utility.  I have reset and optimized and otherwise monkeyed with this L505D machine and its software six ways to Sunday because I am going to do a total Restore on it anyway.  So, I thought I'd make it a playground and see if I can make it run better, more efficiently, and with 9 cell battery.

Regular Advisor
MadRN

Also read this thread, in which they remove the battery while the laptop is plugged in, and explain why that resets the charger.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power/quot-Plugged-in-battery-not-charging-quot/m-p/22384...

That's another thing that I did to this L505D-S6987 and maybe that reset has the battery monitoring system, too.  The 9 cell is charged to 78% now.

What are you charging with, also?   I have a GoGreen slimline universal charger, what looks to be a Chinese aftermarket universal charger (PPP016H  HP 391174-001) intended for HP/Compaq but it has a tip that fits the Toshiba Satellites, and a FSP Group  #NB S90 universal charger that I bought on Newegg.  I have 3 Toshiba Satellites in my household, all 2009 models, but only one of the original chargers still works.  Maybe some of this is dying chargers, too.