andystandley

Toshiba L675 start up problems

PSK3AU-02E02SB-R -- Toshiba L675-S7044 Pentium Dual-Core P6100 2.0GHz 4GB 320GB

This is a refurbished model. IT worked ok for a couple of weeks. Then it started to have trouble .....

With the battery charged and ac in after working on it I shut down and it won't start again properly. If I just sleep/hibernate, or restart it comes back up. Once stopped the power button will turn the led lights on for battery and power, but the on button comes on briefly then goes off and will not respond again. IF I remove battery, power cable, hold button down for 20 seconds (tried longer as suggested elsewhere) it may work again. Normally I can put the battery back in and the battery light comes on but the power button again just blinks briefly then goes off.

There is a slight buzzing sound when the battery or power is connected near the power supply board.

Sometimes I can make it start again (getting harder to do so) by randomly start button/remove battery/power etc etc then it runs fine - battery shows full charge or charges ok and it runs off battery when I remove power cable.

Seems like a "starter motor" problem.

I have seen several problems similar to this but no real solutions - discharging the power does not work ?

Can I try and replace the power board ???

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Toshiba L675 start up problems

Satellite L675-S7044

Try a proper system reset. With your system powered off, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, replace the battery and AC, try to power on, assuming you see it, as soon as you see the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter the BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load BIOS defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, then try to boot into Windows.

Once you get it back into Windows, let's make sure you have the latest BIOS v2.10 update. Click start and type   sys   and click on System Information. In the 'System Summary', look on the right hand side for 'BIOS Version/Date'. If you do not have this version, download this file, double click to begin installation, follow the instructions.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 2.10 for Satellite L675

How to update the BIOS on Toshiba notebooks

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

andystandley

Thanks for the advice.

I had tried this - but it seems to not want to start after I last powered off two days ago and I have tried what you suggested but can't boot up yet!

If I take out battery, ac, hold button for up to 2 minutes, replace battery the battery led light does not come on but if I press the start button the on led shows briefly then goes off.

If I put in the ac the ac led is on and so is the battery led. There seems to be a slight buzzing noise near the start button.If I press the button the on led again comes on briefly then off, buzzing goes. Pressing the start button again does nothing - no leds come on until I remove and replace the ac.

Has anybody replaced the power board with any success - this kind of problem has been reported elsewhere and I initially tried the remove battery/ac/hold button/replace and that may have worked before...and once running it was fine.

Bios is latest - I also had checked that.

Super Advisor
miker643

1) Try removing only the battery, leave the AC plugged in, power on.

2) Try unplugging the AC, leave the battery in, power on.

3) Try unplugging AC, remove the battery, remove both RAM modules, replace one RAM module in a different spot, replace battery & AC, power on. Repeat this process until you have tried each RAM module alone in each slot. See the installing/removing RAM directions starting on page 51 of your Satellite® L670 Series User’s Guide

4) If none of the above works it could be a corrupt BIOS.

BIOS Recovery procedures

5) If your system is still on warranty, call customer support:

Customer Support in the United States

• Computers: (800) 457-7777 (toll-free) or (949) 859-4273

6) if your system is off warranty, perhaps you should consider paying a professional for a diagnostic:

Locate a Service Center

Good luck.

Mike

andystandley

Thanks again - tried this and after swapping ram there was a change - fan came on. Later on I took it all to pieces and it started up! Then I tried to stop and it would not start again. But I seem to have managed to get it starting again after removing the ram again. Could it be the ram? Still uncertain that I can stop without having to try and do lots of removing to get it started again.....so might leave in sleep mode ...

andystandley

Thanks again - tried this and after swapping ram there was a change - fan came on. Later on I took it all to pieces and it started up! Then I tried to stop and it would not start again. But I seem to have managed to get it starting again after removing the ram again. Could it be the ram? Still uncertain that I can stop without having to try and do     lots of removing to get it started again.....so might leave in sleep mode ...

Super Advisor
miker643

....Could it be the ram? ....

Possibly. Let's check that. Click 'Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Windows Memory Diagnostic' and at least let it run overnight.  Let us know what happens.

Good luck.

Mike

andystandley

ran memory test - took about 15 minutes and reported no problems

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Try it again. See this article. Especially Step 5 To Change the Memory Diagnostic Options, then select:

Test Mix: Extended

Cache: Default

Pass Count : 0 (zero - that is continuous)

Let it run over night, press 'Esc' to cancel, check the report. Let us know the result.

Mike

andystandley

Unfortunately I never got a chance to try this - it stopped and would not restart no matter what I tried despite power buttons showing power is ok. I got it checked here in NZ but they say it is a mother board and they can not repair it here so my only option is via the USA. But toshiba will only ship to/from a USA postal address so I am a bit stuck which seems very frustrating. Thanks for your suggestions. Any more !! ?????

Rodger

I have a Toshiba L675D-S7049 it would not start after shutting down for some updates. After days of searching for a resolution I can now boot it from my CD drive. I have restored the laptop to an eariler date and flash the bios, it will start after a normal shutdown but if I close the display without shutting it down first it won't start again.

The FN+C Hotkey will work for this model, it took some time to discover the correct keys for my model. I made a bootable CD from window 7 that I am keeping in the CD drive until I solve the issue with the display. 

1. Make a bootable CD

2. Remove the battery

3. Press and hold the FN and C key

4. plug the power in while still holding the FN and C key

5. Press the power on key while still hoding the FN and C key for a little while, it should begin to start up.