6family

Satellite troubleshooting

I have a toshiba satellite A305-S6858. A few weeks ago my laptop wouldn't come on and the battery light was flashing orange. So we bought a new power cord and the laptop worked for a few weeks. Now it is doing the same thing again. What could be wrong with the laptop?
6family

Re: Satellite troubleshooting

I was reading in the forum, it says take the battery out then plug it back in. I did that and the battery icon doesn't flash. I put the battery back in plugged in the adapter and the battery icon flashes orange.
Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite A305-S6858 Specifications

Satellite A305-S6858 Downloads

First, try a proper system reset. Power off the laptop, unplug the AC from the unit, remove the battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, replace the battery and AC, power on, if you see the Toshiba logo, press the 'F2' key to enter the BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, and then try to boot into Windows.

If you need to post back here, we need the Windows version you're running like Windows Vista 64bit.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

6family

I unplugged the laptop and took out the battery. I held the power button for 30 seconds then put batter back in and put the battery back in. It still wouldn't come on. I took the battery and the battery icon didn't flash. I replaced,the battery and plugged in the adapter and the battery icon flashed Orange. It will not turn on with just the adapter I am running Vista 64 bit.
6family

I can't get the power on.
Super Advisor
miker643

Try starting it on the AC only and no battery. If that doesn't work try starting it on the battery only with no AC.

If these things don't work you're probably looking at a repair. See this thread, specifcally all the posts by Axle1980. He had to replace the power supply board for his unit.

How to locate an ASP

Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Mike

6family

I took the battery to Interstate Batteries, he said the battery is toast. It suppose to b 10.8 volts and it is only 2 volts. I plugged in the adapter without the battery and still won't power on. Should the laptop power on even with just the adapter plugged in?
Super Advisor
miker643

Yes.

Mike

6family

What could the problem be besides a new battery?
Super Advisor
miker643

miker643 wrote:...If these things don't work you're probably looking at a repair. See this thread, specifcally all the posts by Axle1980. He had to replace the power supply board for his unit.

How to locate an ASP

Mike

6family

My husband and I went to Best Buy and they tested the adapter and it was dead. Since we had the adapter less than 30 days they exchanged it for free. Plugged in the adapter and computer turned on and it is working fine. Don't understand why the adapter went bad so fast. 

Super Advisor
miker643

Excellent!!  :smileyhappy:   All computers, and their various components, have immediate, or almost immediate failures. Just a fact of life with a very complicated machine.

Thanks for letting us know what worked. Happy computing!

Mike