arun_veer

Satellite M115-S3094 does not run on battery (fully charged)

New member - apologize if this question has been answered earlier. Did not see this specific one.

My original battery was not holding any charge; purchased a replacement battery; battery is shown as being fully charged, but laptop turns dark when I unplug AC cord. Runs fine on AC. Is there somewhere I need to enter my new battery info ? I don't see the battery icon in the task bar at the bottom of the screen too. Toshiba Power Saver is inactive too. Am I missing some software ? I had to go back to my original configuration cause my computer was infected some time back.

Would appreciate any expert opinions.

Thanks,

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Satellite M115-S3094 does not run on battery (fully charged)

[ Edited ]

Satellite M115-S3094

There was critical BIOS update for your model correcting a possible error on the battery not taking a charge properly. So, if you haven't yet, you should install the latest BIOS update

Next, read this MS article posted by Jerry-Lippey, then look at your power settings when running on battery.

Also, if you went back to your original configuration, your power/battery icon would be showing and Toshiba Power Saver should be working.  The only way to return your unit to its out-of-the-box configuration is to run the Toshiba Recovery utility. Did you do that? If so, when?

Mike

arun_veer

Thanks for your reply. I did get the power meter to show on the task bar.

Will look into the BIOS and Recovery Utility. I did not personally reset the computer to original config, gave it to a local PC store to do so, sometime last summer.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Make sure you back up all your own user files first.  Run the Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator, to make recovery disks in case something goes wrong with your Recovery Partition.  To run the Toshiba Recovery utility from the recovery partition, press and hold down the '0' (zero) key when you see the Toshiba logo on the screen when you power on your machine.

If your local PC store wiped out your Toshiba Recovery partition and you do not already have a set of Toshiba recovery disks, you can order them here:

Ordering Recovery Disks

Mike

arun_veer

Thanks, Mike.

I did install the BIOS from a CD-ROM (wrote disc image to CD); got the "System CMOS Checksum Bad" message; and a choice to choose "default' or "setup"; chose default; syatem booted up, but battery issue has not gone away. Will look into your suggestions regarding recovery disks; will also check forum for a fix for checksum error.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

You're welcome, happy to try to help.

But, it does not sound like the BIOS update installed to me. So, let's try a couple of things. Power off your machine. remove the battery, un-plug the AC-power supply from the laptop, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Put the battery back, and plug back in the AC-power supply.  Then, on power up, press the 'F2' key when you see the Toshiba logo, to go into the BIOS SETUP.  You can see the BIOS version in there.  You still want to try to get v1.90 to install.  That is probably not what you have there. Regardless, still inside the BIOS setup press 'F9' to 'Load setup defaults', and then 'F10' to save changes and exit.

If BIOS v1.90 did not install, I would download the BIOS update again, in case something was not quite right with your first download.  Then, use the boot CD method again, with a new CD, this is generally the safest way to update your BIOS, and give it another try.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 1.90 for Satellite M115

If the update is successful this time, go back into BIOS SETUP and do the 'F9' load defaults, 'F10' save and exit things again. Then boot up and test your system. Doing a Toshiba Recovery, is a good way to solve some problems, and, especially to find out if you have some software/update problem, as opposed to an actual hardware problem.

Let us know. Good luck.

Mike

Edit: Your system would appear to be on the cusp of whether Toshiba supplies recovery disks for it or not. If not, see Jerry_Lippey's post here.

arun_veer

Thanks again, Mike. Was successful this time, loaded 1.90 and checked it, and did the F9/F10 step. At the end of the install, I did get a msg "0251 checksum bad". Still powers off when I unhook the AC cord. Now the dilemma is to know whether the battery I bought is good, even though it shows it is charged. Have to find another laptop where I can test it. You are correct, maybe I need to go get the recovery disk.