nm
nm

Satellite Battery icon reads "no battery detected"

What is wrong with my battery? The battery light is still showing  green....

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Satellite Battery icon reads "no battery detected"

First, try a proper system reset. Power off the laptop, unplug the AC from the unit, remove the battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, replace the battery and AC, power on, when you see the Toshiba logo, press the 'F2' key to enter the BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, and then to boot into Windows.

Then, try resetting the power plans to the default. Enter this at an elevated command prompt.

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

If you need to post back here, we need your full model number, like Satellite L740-ST6N01, and the Windows version you're running like Windows 7 64bit.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

tagfin

This worked for me!  

The first thing you recommended: 

"First, try a proper system reset. Power off the laptop, unplug the AC from the unit, remove the battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, replace the battery and AC, power on, when you see the Toshiba logo, press the 'F2' key to enter the BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, and then to boot into Windows.

I had same message "no battery detected". When i unplugged the power cord, my computer still worked, but said "unknown remaining." I did what you suggested several hours ago and it's working fine ever since.  (I didn't have to do the elevated command prompt...)

thank you!!!!!

Toshiba Satellite L755-S5153.

Super Advisor
miker643

Thanks for lettting us know tagfin. We really appreciate it when people update us on the results of our advice.

Mike

andrew_kanter

Hi - I now have this problem on a Portege Z830 (ultrabook).  To remove the battery to do a hard reset I have to open the entire computer.  Is it necessary to remove the battery?

lfetcher

I read and tried miker643's recommended "fix" to this but to no avail.  On my Satellite U505-S2970 I just replaced the two 2GB RAM modules with two 4GB RAM modules (after turning power off, disconnecting power and removing battery).  The system started up fine after I replaced the battery and plugged the power in, but the battery light (on the front) never came on and I got the dreaded "no battery detected" message on the system tray icon.

After looking up the problem on this forum, I tried it - and even did the DOS commend - in the DOS window, but nothing helped.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

awaldma

Hello,

that fix did not work for me.

on Satellite L655-s5156

josiah1

my satellite U405D-S2852, windows 7 Ultimate is telling me No battery dictated, but I charges and switches off at will without notice. please I need your, thanks
shadow2

i left my laptop untouched for two days and now it is showing no battery detected.it was working fine before i left. i tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery suggested in this forum but it is still showing the same. my laptop is satellite c850-x0110, OS windows 8.1 please help

Peter

That doesn't appear to be a US model, and this is the forums for Toshiba USA. You may want to contact Toshiba in your region.

- Peter
MICHAELDCOLLINS

[ Edited ]

Hi Peter:

I have an old Toshiba Satellite M505-s4972 and I am having the same problem.  It just started after I got my computer back from TSA-LAX. (I left it at the security check point)

I did restore system sets from f2 set up; and ran the elevated command powercfg -restoredefaultschemes.

I also read your article and uninstalled the microsoft ACPI compliant control driver and reinstalled.

The battery is after market that I bought in 4/2012 to replace the original. Is replacing the battery a fix?

Any suggestions?

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Hi Michael,

Peter is on a well-deserved vacation for a couple of days so I didn't want you to wait until he's back.

Considering what you've already tried, it does seem likely that you're experiencing a battery problem. You've probably already done this, but I recommend removing & reinstalling the battery to reseat the contacts.

Does the laptop work fine with external power connected?

Jim

MICHAELDCOLLINS

Hi Jim:

Thank you for jumping in for Peter.  I have followed all the steps set out by Peter, including brushing the contacts. The laptop works fine with just the AC plug in, unless of course the AC comes out accidentally then we have a small crash.

Let me know if there is a next step for me to follow.

best

michael

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Glad to help, Michael, if I can.  :smileyhappy: 

I'd say this all points to a fairly high likelihood that the battery is indeed the problem. I can't guarantee it since an issue with the charging system could present the same symptom. But a battery replacement is much easier and less expensive than a visit to a repair shop for a more definite hands-on diagnosis.

If it was my system I'd try replacing the battery next...

Jim

MICHAELDCOLLINS

Hi Jim

Thanks I will replace battery and let you know if that is a fix.

best

michael

mjmoran

Didnt work for me.  I bought a new battery thinking it was a battery issue.  But I still can't use my computer without the AC plugged in.  Reformat doesnt work either.

Toshiba Satellite L300

Windows Vista 32bit