derekmski

Satellite A665D-S6091 Battery Drains when unplugged

This seems to be a serious issue with recent Toshiba models.  If you shutdown your computer and unplug the laptop after it was fully charged, and leave it unplugged for a day or so, the battery will have significant drain, even when not using the laptop.  I have disabled the sleep charge, and the sleep music and have also disabled wake on lan, no difference.  I checked to see if it was the battery by removing the battery for a few days and then putting it back in and it shows 100%, so the laptop is pulling power from the battery even when it's shut off and this is ticking me off because this shouldn't be happening. I also have 2 different batteries and this happens with both so it's not the batteries.  My other Dell laptop wouldn't ever have battery drain until a few months, not a few days.  Toshiba needs to figure out why this is happening and update the bios to prevent this battery drain, I am quite disappointed with Toshiba, i regret buying a Toshiba because support is absolutely terrible.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Satellite A665D-S6091 Battery Drains when unplugged

Satellite A665D-S6091 

Perhaps you have USB Sleep and Charge turned on. See the section USB Sleep and Charge Utility, beginning on p. 166 of the User's Guide.

Satellite A660 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
derekmski

I do have sleep and charge disabled as I said in the original post, doesn't make a difference.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sorry, I missed that.

It's beginning to sound like a bad battery. We don't see many posts like yours around here.

-Jerry
derekmski

Yeah I thought it was the battery too but I have a second battery for this laptop and it does the exact same thing with that battery too.  So i'm thinking it's a laptop bios problem where the laptop is not shutting certain components off completely.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Did you tick through all the Power Management tabs in the device Properties of Device Manager and set this check box?

Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

-Jerry
derekmski

Yes it is allowed to sleep, also I have wake on lan disabled and I have the option enabled so that it can turn of the pciexpress and also turn off the network card to save power.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I have the option enabled so that it can turn of the pciexpress and also turn off the network card to save power.

There may be other Power Management tabs with the power-off option. My machine has it on every USB Root Hub and the Bluetooth radio.

-Jerry
derekmski

Yeah they are all set to turn off, thanks for the help but I think there is something else wrong here.  I am actually returning this laptop due to other issues it's having.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'm curious what Toshiba's tech support would say (800-457-7777).

-Jerry
derekmski

They didn't say much, they recommended doing a factory restore, didn't do anything.  I'm just fed up with this laptop and Toshiba so I'm getting rid of it.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If a factory restore didn't fix it, I'd guess there's bum hardware at fault.

-Jerry
TND
TND

The battery drain problem (even when laptop is turned off) I think is a result of Toshiba's design flaw.  I have the same problem of battery drain with my netbook NB205, and I've read the same story with other Toshiba laptops.  I bought my NB205  about a year ago and didn't notice this problem until 4 months later (I didn't use it that much to notice right away). What I did to cope with this issue - temporarily - was to remove/install the battery after/before each use.  That solution resolves the problem, but it's inconvinient - especially if you use your laptop fairly often.

Btw, a 'normal' laptop/netbook would loose about 1% of battery juice per day (my NB205 looses about 10% per day).

Recently I accidentally discover a new way to solve this problem, even though it still involves removing of the battery, but I like the new way better.  After each use I remove the battery, wait for about 30 seconds (I may not need 30 sec, but it works for me, so I keep using 30 sec), then put it back.  This somehow 'disconnects' the circuit that drain the battery.  I've repeated this trick several times and it worked every time.  Now it looses about 1% per day just as it's supposed to.

It's a design flaw.  And I can't return my netbook. So this solution is the best way I've found to live with Toshiba laptops.  Hope this trick would work on yours, too.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thanks for chiming in with that additional trick.

-Jerry
bigdog2k2

I have the same problem with a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6065 (this is after the 1st battery I received with the laptop was only charging to about 80% of capacity).

The current battery I am using (replacement from Toshiba) showed that it could only charge to 92% of capacity.  I think Toshiba has some SERIOUS battery quality problems.

This is my 1st Toshiba purchase. I am EXTREMElY Disappointed with my laptop.

What else could go wrong?

SaraS

Thank you! I have this same exact problem with my brand new Satellite P755-S5320 except I lose 1% per hour of shutdown. Now at least I know that I am not crazy in my diagnosis of the problem or my thought that it shouldn't be acting this way. Pulling the battery out for 30 seconds will be an easy workable fix for me when I am on the road, which is when it is the biggest issue for me. So thank you so much!

shac2

The same battery draining happens with my Satellite P755. The battery removal trick works now for me too - thanks. Otherwise, the battery would drain completely overnight, even shutdown and no usb power options turned on at all.

The other interesting thing: before removing the battery as suggested to stop draining, my battery charge lasted about 2 hours unplugged. After removing the battery and stopping the drain,the next time I used it, the battery charge lasted 4 hours! There's definitely a design flaw here.

Yellowjacket

I have a new P755-S5385 withthe same problem.  I'm losing 10% overnight, up to 20% if I leave it off for a full day.  Can't wait to try out your workaround.  Thanks!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P755-S5385

On p. 166 of your User's Guide too.

-Jerry
Yellowjacket

I think it's fixed!  Yesterday, I received an alert from Toshiba regarding a BIOS update for my Toshiba P755-S5385.  The new BIOS is version 2.60.  Specifically, the change is to the Intel ME Firmware to v7.1.52.1176.  I followed the instructions and installed the BIOS with no problems.  I powered down the laptop yesterday.  After 18 hours, I have lost only 1%.  Before this change, I would have lost 15-20% under the same circumstances.

My advice:  if you receive a BIOS update notification from Toshiba, by all means, install it!