TigerGirlDsm
Accepted Solution

Satellite A660 - charging stops when fan kicks to high

I have a Satellite A660-x (custom build).  It's recently started to suspend charging when the fan kicks on to it's highest speed.  If I unplug it and plug it back in (on the laptop side) it usually resumes charging, but sometimes I have to wiggle the jack or unplug it again.  

My first thoughts were the power supply or the socket are going bad.  Could there be any other issues?  Would I have to send in the laptop to have it repaired, or could I repair it myself without invalidating my warranty?

Thanks!

Occasional Contributor
cbhattarai

Re: Satellite A660 - charging stops when fan kicks to high

You need to show it to the service center. They will really help you out. As you said. I think you have some problem with your Batter socket.

Thank you

netbook reviews

Occasional Contributor
Nehmo

cbhattarai wrote:

You need to show it to the service center. They will really help you out. As you said. I think you have some problem with your Batter socket.

Who is "the service center"? If you mean the Toshiba service department, you can't just show something to them. If you are just generally saying *a* service center, then you should have said that, and it's a lame recommendation anyway. Any porblem can be delt with by taking it to someone else. The person asking the question wants an answer, not a vague referral.

`~- Nehmo
Occasional Contributor
Nehmo

TigerGirlDsm wrote:

I have a Satellite A660-x (custom build).  It's recently started to suspend charging when the fan kicks on to it's highest speed.  If I unplug it and plug it back in (on the laptop side) it usually resumes charging, but sometimes I have to wiggle the jack or unplug it again.  

My first thoughts were the power supply or the socket are going bad.  Could there be any other issues?  Would I have to send in the laptop to have it repaired, or could I repair it myself without invalidating my warranty?

If you wiggle the power supply jack and something changes, there is a loose connection in the jack, either the part in the computer or the part on the cord. You can check for continuity in the parts with a cheap tester. 

If it's under warranty, you must not leave any evidence you opened it. I didn't read the Toshiba warraty, but usually tampering invalidates a warranty. 

And what do you mean by "custom build"? What's different than a regular? http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/A660/

`~- Nehmo
TigerGirlDsm

Custom build - I choose memory, HDD, processor, etc. options that weren't on any standard models.  Consequently, my model number is A660-x instead of a prebuilt model.  It makes finding product updates a little tricky.