hanalways

Satellite A205-S5879 Adapter plugged in not charging.

Hi there! I have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5879 that I've had for approximately a year now and has been working beautifully. Three days ago as I was working on the computer the computer was plugged into the ac power adapter, but not charging.

I thought it was the ac adaptor, so I ordered a new Toshiba replacement adapter from ebay. I plugged it in, had about an hour of charge time, before the computer didn't recognize it anymore.

The ac adapter is plugged in, but the computer is not recognizing it and now I am working off of battery power.

If it makes any difference the ac adapter is HOT and laptop battery is lukewarm.

If anyone could help me that would be amazing!

dharner

Re: Satellite A205-S5879 Adapter plugged in not charging.

Well, if you haven't been told already, sit down.  Mine did that over the weekend and I took it in to a very reputable store today.  "Bad News" is coming...

You are a victim of a faulty/defective laptop that will die soon and never come back on - JUST LIKE ME!

Even worse, I called tech support at Toshiba because I was told (by the local repair company)that this problem has become rampant among Toshiba Satellite Notebooks.  Mine is same make and model, and is 16 months old.  It is not worth fixing.  Aparently the problem is that the electrical part that the charging unit attaches to once inserted into the plug has come loose from the motherboard. rendering the computer useless.  No computer store I have spoken with will attempt to "solder" it bACK onto the motherboard because once broken the connection is "iffy" at best. 

I am angry!  This is a known problem - rampant with Toshiba notebooks, but since they refuse to acknowledge what everyone else knows as a fact "cheaply and poorly manufactured motherboards in Toshiba's", and since it is beyond it's one year warranty we are simply out of luck.  I got a lame apology from tech support (poor people who have to take our calls) telling unknowing ex-customers like us that we need to "pay" for advice!  What advice you may ask?  "Throw it away, it's not worth fixing, would cost $425 to send it in for out of warranty repair!!!  OMG, I nearly got sick.

I paid approx. $800 for this thing and was just told today to NEVER buy another Toshiba product again.  The line has gone to super-cheap mass production products and is still riding on the good name they developed when they cared about the product that they put out there.  Those days are gone for sure is the message I got from 5 dealers and repair shops.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... 

I was told to buy Lenovo or Durabook next time, if that info. helps you at all.

Regular Advisor
Defender

hanalways was the ebay purchase meeting the same power adapter specifications, this is highly crucial?  You unit requires:  75W (19V x 3.95A) 100-240V AC Adapter and the replacement should bear the same information.  Yes, some minor spec deviation will allow for a trickle charge affect, but will then shutdown for not meeting unit power requirements.  The hot aspect is that the transformer inside power adapter is trying to output but is burning up.  REMOVE for safety and save the unit.    Let us know what you learn spec wise from the ebay purchase.  Check out the part/accessories matrix for a power adapter replacement.

hueywing

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Your problem is like thousands of others out there that, ac adapter plugged in and not charging. There is no remedy in site and Toshiba has definitely dropped the ball on this one and left us all with a desktop instead of a laptop.

Check out my problem which totally relates to yours and whatever ya do, please dont listen to defender and don't buy toshiba again. Its unfortunate that we the consumer are ****** on by Toshiba and there is nothing we can do but spread the word! They pump out defective products and grab our money then they run, no support, no recall, no help! Shame on you Toshiba, I know that you don't care for the little guy but please wake up and stop making defective products!

http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power/A100-PSAARC-VA905C-battery-plugged-in-and-not...

Regular Advisor
Defender

Sorry to hear hueywing you still have a loss of confidence.  Information to aid concern is of a general guidance nature and meant to assist, since we cannot physically bench test/do a diagnostic.  Later.

mobobo

I have had the same problem with a P200-IFC

plugged in and charging but as soon as I try to do anything it says plugged in and not charging...

will charge if I put it to sleep

did a google and found that it may be this...

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-hardware-devices/148482-battery-plugged-not-charging.html

onemanfunplan

[ Edited ]

Hello.  This will solve your problem.  Follow these directions to reset your battery settings.

01. Turn off laptop.

02. Unplug AC power.

03. Remove battery.

04. Replace AC power.

05. Turn on laptop, allow OS to boot.

06. Once logged in to the machine, perform a normal shut down.

07. Unplug AC power.

08. Replace battery.

09. Replace AC power.

10. Turn on laptop, allow OS to boot. The battery should once again be charging as normal.