maxiephoenix9

Re: Satellite A205-S5800 freezes when AC power cord is connected

heyya ray kinda sad but from my experience so far toshiba has been pretty gud a lappy ... anyways for the gentleman frm italy who wants the email address for the service centre it is: service@laptopclinic.in .... so thats all folks two days of straight run on the lappy and still no probs.... i guess the prob is permanently fixed...

Occasional Contributor
Raymond_Cai

would you like give us the chip name? cause we lived in US, it's too far to connect with Indian Tech,.

Thanks,

maxiephoenix9

well ray all i told u was what i was told they refused to tell me what the chip name was... all they would say was that it was the core voltage controller... so what i would suggest is u go upto the service center for toshiba near where u live and ask for the schematics and try and find out what pin supplies power to the proc and then this pin would lead u to the chip...and remember ray that the chip needs to be put back using a hot air soldering thingy which if u are capable of using then u must definitely know how to read the schematics... i think i have provided wid da email id for the support center try contacting them... they work on not just toshiba so pass the word along their phone num is 00914844073808 please do try and call at Indian Standard Time between 1000hrs and 1700hrs

Occasional Contributor
Raymond_Cai

Hi, guys, I found the answer from some Chinese website, they said it is the Capacitor - "NEC/TOKIN OE128" on the back of CPU  was broken, I will try to replace this one, but they also said it is very hard to remove this capacitor, you have to use the hot air gun.  http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=243&t=1380103&r=2&last=21911427

good luck!

atg1195

I disagree that this is a hardware problem because, if it was then you wouldn't be able to run the computer in safe mode with AC power, which is my case and also a few other in here. Also, if the previous post was true that the capacitor was broken, the this mean you would have to physically take apart the laptop and break the capacitor. It can't just break by itself. I believe its a software issue.

Occasional Contributor
Raymond_Cai

I think you totally knew nothing about computer! Definitely, it is not a software problem, because this problem only can be solved by replace the motherboard, did you read the whole forum here and other places?

This problem happened not only on A200 series, but also on M200 which users first had this problem, many people already solved this problem just by replace this capacitor. Actually, disassemble the laptop is so easy, not as you think it is very complicated, you know, most of laptop just assembled by workers who only finish their elementary school or no. Trust yourself! do it and no argue!

Occasional Contributor
365LaptopRepair

Whoow, I actually learned a lot from all of your guys follow up in here.

We strictly deal with laptop motherboard repairs and I recently run across a board with the symptoms described. We were unable to resolve the problem. We still have the board and this will be my first thing to do tomorrow morning at the office, so I can get to the bottom of this.

My insight as a hardware expert. 

I am willing to support the version that all happened from the USB device failure. The problem here is in the South Bridge controller. This controller is responsible for all the low bus devices. That is Hard Drive, DVD, WiFi USB and other/Modem, Audio busses etc./.  As a component, this is a big Intel chip on the board and typically that is GBM series:

Intel South Bridge ICH M Controller 82801GBM - You can google and check the datasheets that it has all of the above mentioned functionality.

I am thinking the initiation of the problem is from the USB module failure inside that chip resulting in related module failure like the ACHI which makes sense when you boot in safe mode, it works fine, as it is not using that faulty ACHI controller which is a part of the S.Bridge.

I can't disagree with the finding about the Core Voltage filter capacitors either! They are affected by heat near by the processor and eventual unstable voltages to the processor might have something to do with all that freezing but is not logical, as the CPU gets the same power on battery or AC adapter from the Core Voltage Circuit.

I am willing to experiment both solutions with the first couple people that write me back about that issue. I will just charge return shipping. All you need to do is inquire on our website and mention this post. Depending on my finding, I will update that post with either solution cap replacement/core voltage controller replacement or as I presumed S.Bridge controller replacement .. which is way harder as it is BGA chip. I do have a known good board for parts I can use for that purpose. We are fully equipped for this type of reworks, so there is no question about if we can do it or not.The question would be which of the two components is causing the problem.

Please inquire here http://www.365laptoprepair.com/Free-Laptop-Repair-Estimate and mention this forum post.

We will report here shortly, after testing the two solutions.

BTW Raymond Cai .... good finding about the website. Took me a minute to learn Chineese :smileywink:

Also the guy with the Indian connection ... good job on being proactive and not to wait on Toshiba mercy :smileyhappy:

atg1195

Raymond!!! I’ve disassembled and re-assembled laptops as many times as you have hair on your whole body. Go learn some grammar and then reply.

papatek

The operating system which is installed on the computer is failing and hence it is freezing. There are lot of files which are associated to the operating system of the computer. If any of the file which is associated to the operating system is corrupt or missing on the system then the operating system will not work properly. Therefore insert the installation disk of the operating system in the drive and boot the system from the disk. Either install the fresh copy of Windows on the computer or try and repair the current installed version of Windows. Complete the procedure and then see if the problem continues.

maxiephoenix9

what most people on the board doesnt realise is that if ur comp happen to pass the POST and starts the OS it doesnt necessarily imply that the system hardware is perfectly fine. The system POST is impervious to certain issues related to power and such. and in case most people here think they can update drivers BIOS and OS to rectify "THE SAME" issue we had then feel free to try it... all we mentioned here is a short cut of 5-7 months to locate ur problem... and to help u realise why systems freeze on a whole try reading the basic concept of a microprocessor-The Interrupts-how and when interrupts are called and such... i would agree wid ray on his opinion about atg... atg no matter how many u assembled and dis~ all i say is u havent still got ur basic degree in understanding and troubleshooting lappys... and i am just a starter in this field but i think u r way below me lol

maxiephoenix9

and atg i think he knows enuf grammar and mebbe he put it to u in that style so the baby in u would understand what he has to say

atg1195

Hey Raymond no offense, however I believe maxiephoenix9 is just as dumb as you are. You two should go find each other and *u*k each other. You two dumb pieces of **bleep**.

On the other hand I could only agree with 365laptoprepair; that the problem could  be from the ACHI controller which has to do with the S. Bridge. 

Occasional Contributor
Raymond_Cai

you are right, my English is not good, because I am Chinese, but I bet you know nothing about Chinese lauguage. so do not laugh at my English, at least I can write it with the Chinglish way, how about your Chinese level???

Occasional Contributor
Raymond_Cai

pls tell us about results of your repair experiment, did it work or not? thanks.

Actually, many people reported that it works just by replace the cap.

tonykwong

any solution here?

atg1195

I would really appreciate some picture of where this capacitor is located and what it looks like. If anyone gets a chance can they please post some photos. Thanks in advance.

atg1195

I've notices someone had mentioned there problem starting after removing a USB stick. Well I have some weird good news. I've just noticed (but never thought it would be the case) after I replaced my Bluetooth USB on the computer the computer started up fine with AC. Why would that be. Anyone with any ideas or thoughts? Weird isn't it. Its like my laptop is addicted to Bluetooth. Loll.

deficheri

I've found the NEC/TOKIN 0E128 at:

http://www.logictoyz.com/electronic-components/nec-tokin-0e128-proadlizer-capacitors-for-toshiba-lap...

If anybody can buy that part and replace it to the laptop, please let us know!!!

viral1983

I have the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite A305-S6858 machine..

Occasional Contributor
365LaptopRepair

Hello,

I am writing back to say, that only one person responded back to my proposal to send in their machine to experiment on. We couldn't really get to experiment on the freezing issue, as his machine had a way off the topic problem. His laptop was intermittently posting on one memory socket. The issue in his case was the North Bridge, the controller that talks to the memory. We've reflowed the N.Bridge and got the machine to post from both sockets but then it would blue screen in the middle of OS re-install. I figured, there must be bad trace or solder joints underneath the memory controller which gets affected when the system is "pushed" a bit.

We do have plenty of these capacitors NEC/from scrap boards/, if someone is willing to share if that would resolve the problem, I am willing to ship a piece to them. Let me know. Either way, I will get back here with any recent results if I get one of these laptops in.