JustinS

Qosmio X305-Q705 Shuts off/Overheats

[ Edited ]

When I'm on my Qosmio, it constantly just shuts off without warning. It usually happens when I'm playing WoW and happens after about an hour and a half of playing, but sometimes it last longer. I put stacks of folded paper underneath the four corners of the laptop, for it to take longer to overheat, which im assuming is the problem, because my laptop is always warm after it shuts off.

Do i need a new battery? Where can i buy one? How much do they cost? Is there a specific kind i need to buy for a Qosmio X305-Q705?

Edit: My laptop overheated again, like usual, but this time I felt the vent on the back of the laptop and it was extremely hot, much more hot than the keyboard or the bottom of the laptop whenever it shuts off. Is the back vent the problem or is it the battery?

Occasional Contributor
wizard

Re: Qosmio X305-Q705 Shuts off/Overheats

I am having the EXACT same problem - it even shuts down unexpectantly when the battery is not even installed.

I have only had this laptop a little over a year. i used to think Toshiba was good equipment. I hope someone has an answer for this!

joe C.

CEO

Wongu

I'm having exactly the same problem. I just have this laptop for a year and its starting to malfunction. Health monitor is indicating that my CPU temperature and Fan Speed are running normal. Yet, the Fan is physically spinning in full speed like a jet engine and the laptop will Power Off without warning after using it for 2 hours. (No i am not playing any games at all.) I always thought that Toshiba manufacture one of the best laptop in the world.

Occasional Contributor
saheemg

I started a thread about my X505-Q850 for the same exact problem.  I did some experimentation.  If I am eco power mode it does not shuts off.  When I am on balanced or high performance power mode it shuts off.  So I went into high performance mode's advanced power settings and changed Processor Power Management->System cooling policy to Passive for both on battery and plugged in.  So far it has been running for nearly 2 hours.  In the past for high performance it would shut off within an hour.

The odd thing is I have had my laptop for nearly 2 years without any issues.  This just started to happen a month or so ago. I wonder if there may be a software problem causing this.

Occasional Contributor
saheemg

Even when I am in Eco mode it overheats.  Next attempt for me is to use a compressed air can and clear out all vents on the system.  I'll post my results in a few days.

Col
Col

Anyone have any luck?

I'm having the same problem with my Q870 after years of it being fine. Now it keeps shutting off with no warning, even in eco mode.

Occasional Contributor
saheemg

I used compressed air to clear out all of the vents and its working great.  I even run in performance power mode.  Since owning it I had always just used balance.

adb007

I am only recently in the last couple of months having the same problem with my Qosmio X305-Q706. Best laptop I ever had. No problems ever with security breaches or intrusions ... now these sudden unexpected shutdowns. No serious overheating after I prop up the 4 corners for better air circulation. I will try the compressed air maintenance. Hope it is 'the fix'. Thanks for the idea.

Visions

Ok, listen up and follow this description and you will fix your Qosmio overheat problem.

I had the same problem with the overheating while running applications with high requirements. You will need to open the laptop and manually go in and remove all of the dust bunnies, which have become a solid wall within the outlet tunnel chambers behind the exhaust fan.

It is a pretty difficult process, and requires a tiny screwdriver/patience/ and a notepad to remember where the 20+ screws of different sizes go to put the entire computer back together piece by piece. You will also need to know where the tiny wires need to be replugged also, so take careful notes, and draw pictures numbering the steps, follow back in reverse. IT IS TIME CONSUMING AND INTRICATE... The Exhaust Fan tunnels on the back are at the very bottom back of the unit, and include removing the monitor from it's connections as well.

This is the disassembly page ................ After step 29 when teh motherboard comes up, you can reach the clogged fan. It is a beast to get totally apart and requires a steady hand. Just do it all in reverse to put it back together.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Qosmio-X305/laptop-disassembly-3.htm

You must have a physical connection to a metal ground as to not fry the computer while playing operation... don't gouge anything... be a doctor performing heart surgery and you will be fine. So do it on a day when your little brother isn't throwing a nerf football at your head, or your mom is going to come in and make you clean your room in the middle of it. Took me almost two hours to complete successfully.... I didn't take notes, DOH.

You will find dust has built up in the chambers which are impossible to blow out by any means, and are like the concrete created by wet toilet paper drying on a wall. Carefully push them out using something like a popsickle stick , and you are home free. I did this one year and a half ago, and the computer shut down on me yesterday twice playing Dragon Age on full settings.... I have theToshiba Qosmio X305-Q705... I will be performing the maintanance again tomorrow night.      Good luck guys

Visions

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Qosmio-X305/laptop-disassembly-3.htm

After step 29 you can reach the exhaust fan tunnels which are clogged with cement dust bunnies... you need a shock stop ring or holding metal at all times so you don't fry the motherboard. Remove the dust and your home free. Takes a long time, and you have to have a steady hands and take notes.

After cleaning you will be home free for about  1-1.5 years, then perform again... works for me every time. Good luck

Occasional Contributor
LapTopTech

try blowing out the fans and see what happens then.

vkc
vkc

I had the same overheating problem for some time. It would shut down every time I watch some videos on internet, sometimes even when using Skype. THen, after reading this forum I decided to try to clean the laptop but without opening it, disassambling it, as the previous guy suggested (I will do that some other time). So, I ended up vacuuming every single hole, and after that manually removing piles of lint from the fan using a needle. The lint could not be removed with the vaccum, nor with a pressure can, only with a needle (or you can use some hook or wire, whatever can fit between the groves of the cover).

After completely removing the lint, I have to problem at all with sudden shut down. NOw I can watch programs online for hours. 

So, instead of criticizing Toshiba for being bad laptops, clean the fan of your laptop first.

Frozen

[ Edited ]

Another thing I would like to point out is that most q705 models didn't have the second fan for cooling the gpu. This fan can easily be added while doing the yearly cleaning, witch I strongly suggest doing. You can easily find the second fan (Toshiba part number K000067450) on many online stores. This second fan is a life saver for people that do high end gaming on their x305 laptops, and is absolutely necessary if you upgrade your processor to any of the quad-core models available for this series* (Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, Q9100, QX9300)

*Toshiba Qosmio x305 series laptops are able to use all Intel core processors with the codename Penryn. Visit Intel's website for more information on those processors.

Qosmio_x775

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/01/04/toshiba-laptop-overheating/

This is a link to a website that has a lot of tech help including dissassembly instructinos for many different models of Toshibas. The page at this link has a note about using a shop vac to suck out the dust bunnies instead of taking the computer apart and seems to work.